11 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2013 12:56 AM by Pierre Devereux

Bug when duplicating

Arrakis Level 1

Ok Im getting this weird issue again. I make a duplicate of my comp then I swap a layer in the duplicate by dragging new one from the project panel. But it changes the layer in the comp I have duplicated from also.   I had this happen the other day with an effect.        I think its a bug.

• 1. Re: Bug when duplicating
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Screenshots?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Bug when duplicating
            Arrakis Level 1

Image 1 - shape layer precomped and duplicated

Image 2 - Open duplicate and change colour

Image 3 - Back to original comp both shapes have changed to the new colour

Maybe Im mistaken about how this works but the same happens for any layer changes and for effects.  This reminds me of instances in flash.  I didnt realise After effects used instances in this way??

Screen Shot 2013-05-06 at 8.20.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-05-06 at 8.20.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-05-06 at 8.20.56 PM.png

• 3. Re: Bug when duplicating
              Klaus_Brandenburg Level 2

Oh yeah this is really weird. Who would have thought that the copy of a precomp would mimmick what it's copy is doing. I mean, havin two instances of one and the same comp should at least result in something more different, right?

If I were you I would submit a bug report/feature request or read the manual.

• 4. Re: Bug when duplicating
                Arrakis Level 1

Ok Im gathering by your arrogant sarcastic tone that yes I am mistaken.   Forgive me for not being such an amazing AE master like you Klaus but I am still learning.     I just have never noticed this happens before.   I genuinely thought if I made a copy of a comp that it was in no way linked to the original

• 5. Re: Bug when duplicating
                  Klaus_Brandenburg Level 2

My reply was not merely as arrogant as your assumtion that basics you don't understand must be a bug rather than your lack of undertstanding the software.

• 6. Re: Bug when duplicating
                    Arrakis Level 1

Man get over yourself. As I said, I genuinely thought this was a bug.  How the f*ck is that arrogant?? In fact I am a very humble person who never assumes to know much of anything, unlike you.
                    Forums are here for people to learn. If you cant deal with that because youre so amazingly talented and have nothing nice to say then say nothing. Theres always people like you on forums. Where Im from they are known as wankers.

• 7. Re: Bug when duplicating

Guys, cool down. No need to get crazy over this. It's a simple typical beginner mistake and now that we've worked out the cause, there's no point in debating it to death.

Mylenium

• 8. Re: Bug when duplicating
                        Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

Mylenium, Isnt there a plug in that can be purchased that duplicates comps and their nested precomps for you? I think I remember reading about it somewhere on the forums. I dont use it myself, I usually just Duplicate each and every comp I need to, then rename them per character (as our project has about 10 different characters in it). I just like to do it manually for now, as our comps are not too complicated yet, and that way, I feel I have full control over whats happening! Its just the power-freak in me!

Pierre

• 9. Re: Bug when duplicating

There's some comp duplication script on AEScripts indeed that can set up multiple duplicates independently...

Mylenium

• 11. Re: Bug when duplicating
                            Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi Klaus,

I think thats the one - thanks

Arrakis,

Take a look at this link, it might make things easier when working with comps that contain many nested precomps etc. This way, you can be sure that each "copy" is its own editable version. When I first started, I worked through a week comp using my original as a template for all the characters - imagine my surprise (probably deserved it for being lazy and not checking along the way) when i went back to the original comp, and found that all the updates I had just made at the last level, were there! Frantic checking thereafter showed me that all the changes had been made to all the work for the week!

Of course, the best part was, that I had not done the work, I had set it up for my collegue here - and assured them they could "carry on"

Oh well, so you live and learn!

Hope you find this helpful,

Pierre