4 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2013 1:09 PM by sharks44

Localhost inspect possible using ASP.NET?

sharks44 Level 1

HI All,

I am the webmaster for a site that is running on ASP.NET.  I am trying to set up Edge Inspect to allow me to view changes I have made on my local machine, on my iPad.  I've read that localhost integration with ASP.NET and Edge Inspect don't play nice together.  Has anyone set up Edge Inspect to be able to preview changes on a tablet/phone for a site that runs on ASP.NET? 

• 1. Re: Localhost inspect possible using ASP.NET?
          Mark_Rausch Adobe Employee

I'm not very familiar with ASP.NET, but it sounds like you might be talking about two different things here. Edge Inspect should work with any web server that serves content publicly. So yes, Edge Inspect will work with your public website.

But if you're doing development on localhost and you're using the ASP.NET development server, that's a different thing... http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/58wxa9w5%28v=vs.80%29.aspx

I quote from that page:

"If you cannot or do not want to use IIS as your Web server, you can still test your ASP.NET pages by using the ASP.NET Development Server. The ASP.NET Development Server, which is included with Visual Web Developer, is a Web server that runs locally on Windows operating systems, including Windows XP Home Edition. It is specifically built to serve, or run, ASP.NET Web pages under the local host scenario (browsing from the same computer as the Web server). In other words, the ASP.NET Development Server will serve pages to browser requests on the local computer. It will not serve pages to another computer. Additionally, it will not serve files that are outside of the application scope."

So, Edge Inspect cannot work with the ASP.NET development server. This is not a problem with Edge Inspect, it's due to that limitation of the dev server. If you want to preview your pages from localhost with Edge Inspect, run your site on IIS rather than the ASP.NET development server.

Hope this helps,

Mark

• 2. Re: Localhost inspect possible using ASP.NET?
            sharks44 Level 1

That does clear things up a bit.  I was aware that ASP dev server does not serve up files to devices other than the local machine.  From what I know, we are using IIS to run our site but just can't seem to get it configured correctly.  Would our firewall be causing an issue like this?

• 3. Re: Localhost inspect possible using ASP.NET?
              Mark_Rausch Adobe Employee

It's possible there's a firewall or a permissions issue on your webserver that's preventing you from getting to it, but my confusion is that you seem to be alternatively asking about testing on localhost and what web server is serving up your site. If you're running from localhost (your dev machine), you should know which web server you're running there.

Regardless, here's a simple test you can do: Start the native browser on you iPad and try to browse to whichever machine is serving up the web pages. Use the IP address of the webserver rather than localhost or any domain names. Can the native browser reach the server and display your content?

If the native browser can't, then Edge Inspect can't either and that's the issue we need to solve. If the native browser can reach the site and display it, let me know exactly what URL you input into Safari on the device and exactly what URL you're putting into Chrome that Edge Inspect can't reach.

• 4. Re: Localhost inspect possible using ASP.NET?
                sharks44 Level 1

I didn't have the necessary information to provide you before I wrote my first post so I apologize for any confusion.

After talking with one of our software developers, he said that when I run from localhost I am currently set up on the ASP Development Server rather than IIS.  Disregard what I said in my previous post.  He said that if I switched from ASP Dev Server to IIS and ran from localhost it should solve the issue. He mentioned as you did before that files can't be served up to mobile devices if you're using the ASP dev server.

I tried to go to the IP of the server on the native browser but no luck.

I'm going to try and get IIS configured so I can run localhost from it.