3 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2013 9:08 AM by Peter Spier

What happens when I convert a file to a pdf?

AABBCCJuile Level 1

I'm trying to figure out what happens to logos that are embedded in InDesign files when I convert those files to a pdf. Do the logos get converted to jpgs? Or do they remain vector files? Here's the issue: I have Illustrator logos embedded into InDesign files (all CS6). I am exporting the InDesign files as pdfs. And the logos are then looking fuzzy. Why? They are vector files. I don't get it. Is there a way to control HOW the images are exported? I guess I just don't understand the conversion process itself enough to know what the right question to ask is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Julie

• 1. Re: What happens when I convert a file to a pdf?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What settings are you using during export? Is there transparency involved on the page?

• 2. Re: What happens when I convert a file to a pdf?
            AABBCCJuile Level 1

Thanks, Peter! No, there is no transparency on the page. It's a pretty simple page. There's a box with a logo in it. When you zoom way in, the logo look great (in the pdf). But at normal viewing, it appears a little fuzzy. I think that's just  how it works when viewing pdfs online at a small percentage (i.e., 85% or whatever it would be to see the whole thing on screen). But my client wants it to look crisp and clean. I would assume using an eps file or ai file would be the best way to save the logo. But then I wasn't sure what actually happened when I export it.

The page has to be 8.5x11 because it isn't only viewed online... it's printed as well.

I tried several export settings... for both web and print. They all did the same thing. I made sure it wasn't downsizing the images or resampling them when I export.

Julie

• 3. Re: What happens when I convert a file to a pdf?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If they look good zoomed in they're still vectors. What you are running into is probably a problem with screen resolution and the weights of the stokes in the logo. Your screen can only light full pixels, so if detail becomes smaller than a single pixel it can get lost, and sloping lines will tend to look jaggy.