7 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2013 10:11 AM by Petrbr9

Is it possible to disable escape command that is quiting without warning?

Petrbr9

When I press in Camera Raw 7.3 escape key, picture is quiting without any warning or saving changes.

Is it possible to disable escape command in ACR ?

thanks in advance

Peter

• 1. Re: Is it possible to disable escape command that is quiting without warning?
          Level 5

No.

The Escape key always closes a modal box in any application, which is what the UI of ACR is: modal.

It's perfectly normal and expected behavior.

Just stop hitting the Escape key.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to disable escape command that is quiting without warning?
            Petrbr9 Level 1

Come on! Could you tell me any professional application, that discards all your work after you have pressed just one key?  In some applications Esc is rolling out the last action but not the whole work. That is reason why I mistype sometimes. It's for me neither perfectly normal nor expected behavior.  I do not care how it is developed(but I know that other behaviour is easy possible). I suppose this is more forum for photographers than developers. I am trying to solve my problem the easiest way.

Camera Raw is for me really good tool for working with photos except some of these abnormalities.

Has somebody some better solution than not hitting Esc or more frequent saving?

Thanks in advance

Peter

• 3. Re: Is it possible to disable escape command that is quiting without warning?
              Level 5

Petrbr9 wrote:

Come on! Could you tell me any professional application, that discards all your work after you have pressed just one key?…

Any application, whether professional or otherwise, that uses modal dialog boxes follows the universal convention where the Escape key equals hitting the CANCEL button in the modal dialog box.

Remember that ACR is just a plug-in, and the way that plug-in is designed is to work through a single modal box with multiple tabs and settings.

Petrbr9 wrote:

…In some applications Esc is rolling out the last action but not the whole work…

…and there is your answer: until you hit either Done, Open or Save in the ACR modal dialog box, you have not applied any action to your work at all, you have just been looking at the preview when you manipulate the sliders and fields in the various tabs.

It's no different than calling up a filter in Photoshop, say a noise-reduction filter, and hitting the Escape key before applying the settings to the image after fiddling with the sliders.

My advice remains to keep in mind ACR is a modal dialog box and stop hitting the Escape key before applying your settings to the image.  It is that simple.  After all, the darned Escape key is physically located way out in the back of left field on the keyboard for that reason.

Incidentally, if you expect to get help here in these user to user forums in the future, you'd better lose the attitude, buddy.

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers: 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thank you.

Excerpt:

• Do not be abusive or aggressive in your tone

An aggressive or abusive sounding post will often evoke an aggressive or abusive and unhelpful reply

Remember, you are requesting help from other users, just like you, who are giving their time free of charge. No one is under any obligation to answer your question.

Message was edited by: station_two — Edited obvious typos.

• 4. Re: Is it possible to disable escape command that is quiting without warning?
                Level 5

Well, I suppose I could alternatively advise you to physically yank out or otherwise disable the Escape key on your keyboard. 

• 5. Re: Is it possible to disable escape command that is quiting without warning?
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

Petrbr9 wrote:

Has somebody some better solution than not hitting Esc or more frequent saving?

Nope...if it hurts when you do that, it would behoove you to quit doing that, ya know?

BTW, exactly what is your hand doing way up on the upper left of your keyboard anyway? How do you hit esc accidently?

• 6. Re: Is it possible to disable escape command that is quiting without warning?
                    Yammer Level 4

Jeff Schewe wrote:

BTW, exactly what is your hand doing way up on the upper left of your keyboard anyway? How do you hit esc accidently?

Maybe he has a cat? One of mine lay down on the keyboard and put the computer into Standby once, only Standby didn't work properly. It regretted it soon afterwards, and now my computer is configured to not go into Standby ;-)

• 7. Re: Is it possible to disable escape command that is quiting without warning?
                      Petrbr9 Level 1

Thanks for answer. Sorry to be little bit rough.

Peter