7 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2013 12:14 AM by Mylenium

Depth of Field with particles

HandsomeDragon Level 1

I'm still learning after effects and having fun with it. I'm just curious about something. Is there a way to eliminate the depth of field with particles? Example: When I zoom out with the camera in CC particle world, the particle (energy wave I create) goes blurry. Is the depth of field a default option? Cause when I create a camera the depth of field is off.

• 1. Re: Depth of Field with particles
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How are you zooming out? What kind of particle. There is no depth of field in CC Particle World and the comp camera depth of field has no effect on this plug-in. Faded sphere is blurry all the time. Is that the kind of particle you are using?

Need more info....

• 2. Re: Depth of Field with particles
            HandsomeDragon Level 1

It's not depth of feild im so sorry. It's  more like, atmospheric perspective. When I zoom out with the camera, the particle feild/wave I created, it looses detail, I still see it from far away, but with not much detail, like a big blob of light. However when I'm close to it, I see the edges and the individual particles. I'll send a picture when I'm home, but do you sort of understand? When I , not zoom, but scale it down, the detail is there, but small. How can I achieve that, with just zooming out with the camera in 3d space?

• 3. Re: Depth of Field with particles
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Once again how are you "zooming the camera"? Do you mean moving in Z space or changing the Zoom value?

How are you looking at your comp? Is the zoom factor set to 100%? Is the quality set to Auto or Full? There are only so many pixels in a composition and if you make your particles too small they will start to soften and change just like any other image. If you would post a screen shot we would know what you are seeing and could tell you what's going on. As it is there is no way for me to guess what problems you are having. There are just too many variables.

• 4. Re: Depth of Field with particles
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You would have to use a full 3D particle system to get consistent particle sices in 3D spaces. If you only use 2D particles, the resampling will give the effect you see. Try the textured polygon type or similar. Though it will never be perfect, honestly. That's one of the things why people use Trapcode Particular...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Depth of Field with particles
                  HandsomeDragon Level 1

vsv.jpghh.jpg

I zoom out with the 3d camera, moving back in Z space. The more I zoom out the more detail I lose. (Above)

But when I scale it down, it appears far away, and yet, you still see the detail it has if you were close up to it face to face. (Below)

jjjj.jpg

• 6. Re: Depth of Field with particles
                    HandsomeDragon Level 1

Is Trapcode particular a 3d particle system? I am purchasing that sometime this week. I'm a student so the discount helps.

• 7. Re: Depth of Field with particles
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yes, Particular is full 3D. Your screenshots look perfectly normal zooming out accumulates thee actual density of the particles, scaling them will merely interpolate an already existing brightnbess, hence the results are different.

Mylenium