3 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2013 8:28 PM by regina63 RSS

Font has disappeared, despite loading on every other program

Rachel Faller

I've been working with one font on several different documents including indesign, and all of a sudden it was replaced by Times New Roman all throughout my indesign document that I have been working on for months. The font is still working in illustrator though. I'm using CS3. Help??

• 1. Re: Font has disappeared, despite loading on every other program
          Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Did the style get redefined?  Does the font show in your list?

• 2. Re: Font has disappeared, despite loading on every other program
            Rachel Faller Community Member

The font does not show up in my list; and I have tried the following solutions already:

1. making sure it was loaded in font book (it was)

2. Making sure the font was validated (it was)

3. loading the font directly into indesign

4. Contacting the author of the font (she hasn't gotten back to me yet.)

5. using font nuke to remove all cache font files

still nothing has worked. I tried using indesign on a coworker's computer who has cs6, and the font worked fine. Maybe the problem is with cs3 and I just need to update?

• 3. Re: Font has disappeared, despite loading on every other program
              regina63 Community Member

Did you upgrade your system recently? (OS or hardware).

Is the font Opentype? T1, TT?

Do you have a backup of the font in its original format (a zip file or disk)?

If so, try to: Deactiveate the font in fontbook, move those font files to the trash, restart your system and re-add a fresh version of the font into font book (from original disk, or expanded archive, etc.) although it sounds like you've possibly tried that at some point, it's not in your list above. I think "making sure it's in font book and verified" doesn't mean that some part of the font isn't still broken enough to trip up software using it. Also something might have happened to your CS3. Do you have install disks to reinstall?

Lastly, if you have many many fonts and not much memory on your system, try turning off all fonts you aren't using for this project (except the fonts that the system needs and won't let you deactivate). This might help if you have tons of fonts on a system with very little memory.