0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2007 6:55 AM by delotero

Flex 3 Feature Request

delotero
      I love Flex's VB6-like abilities to develop interfaces and its client-server type runtime performance. Flex 3.0 is where Silverlight will probably be in 2+ years. However, the lack of data integration is a clear and major handicap to be taken seriously by Microsoft entrenched technology groups. Adobe docs only have simple read-only examples using Arrays/ArrayCollections and they are all reading data. That's only 1/2 the story. In my case, I want to use Flex to host applets into an existing asp.net web site, and utilize the best of both worlds. ANSWER: I want my flex look and feel, and more importantly, Database I/O to behave like its ASP.NET pages.

Currently, I'm trying Flex 3 with NetConnection object to call RPCs using Fluorine Gateway which seems to be the best way so far. This works well compared to the alternatives, Life-cycle ES, and Web Orb which both seem to provide far more than what I need. BUT I THINK THAT FLEX 3.0 CAN DO MUCH BETTER TO INTEGRATE FLUORINE, OR OTHER GATEWAYS.

Seems to me that Flex Data Enabled Controls should be TRULY data enabled. RemoteObject/RPC calls should be part of the base Flex product for use with my own database (client-side SQL, or Server Side). Remote Object should handle ALL I/O similar to the way asp.net's ObjectDataSource.

MAYBE SUBCLASSING THE CURRENT DATA CONTROLS INTO "REMOTE DATA CONTROLS" IS THE ANSWER TO HANDLE THE FULL ROUND TRIP??

Best Regards,

Tom D.