6 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2013 6:21 PM by adobenewbie123

Exporting

adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am using Premiere elements 10 and close to finalizing the editing of my first movie in this software. So I am delving into the export function and feel overwhelmed by all my choices.  My project setting has been AVCHD- 720p  (my clips were imported  from a variety of sources) and I've been reading that it's best to match up the export settings to project settings. However just isolating 720p, there are multiple formats including mp4 and m2t (in the avchd dropdown) and there is also a .wmv option at 720p.  Ultimately I need to get this file to a disk bit for now, I was curious how much difference it makes which format gets selected in terms of quality of the video.

Thanks for your time!

• 1. Re: Exporting
          whsprague Level 4

I think of it a little differently.  I match the project settings as closly as I can to the primary source files. 

For output, I try to match the viewing device.  My Dad had only one choice with his 8mm film, his projector.  I'm stuck with what seems like endless requirements.  My granddaughters have new iPod Touchs, my son is glued to a computer for work, my wife wants to put it the Blu-Ray player and my daughter-in-law has a DVD player.  Of course, I can't leave out YouTube and Vimeo.  One of the great features of PrE is how it can make files optimized for so many viewing devices.

How you plan to view your computer file with should determine your output.  What software do you plan to use as your primary video viewer?  Some software like VLC seems to handle anything.  Others, like the ones that come with a computer, are more restrictive. 

The good news is that you can try several output formats and look to see which gives you the best results. 

• 3. Re: Exporting
            adobenewbie123 Level 1

Thanks for the insight WH! Ultimately this needs to play in a dvd player and at a later date, I'd like to experiment with Blu-Ray.  Can you recommend an output for both scenarios?

• 4. Re: Exporting
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The 2nd link I posted in message #2 says for DVD or BluRay

• 5. Re: Exporting
                whsprague Level 4

adobenewbie123 wrote:

Thanks for the insight WH! Ultimately this needs to play in a dvd player and at a later date, I'd like to experiment with Blu-Ray.  Can you recommend an output for both scenarios?

It is pretty much straight forward.  Publish & Share to Disc and the defaults are few.  Output to DVD can be disappointing because it is a Standard Definition (old) format.

1 person found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Exporting
                  adobenewbie123 Level 1

If I keep things in hd for now, as a computer file, is there much of a difference between exporting  to .wmv at 720p or exporting to .mp4 at 720p? Both formats will play on my pc.  I am curious which would have a higher video quality .

Thanks!