17 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2013 9:06 AM by Warriork

DAM not generating thumbnails

Warriork

Hi,

When I try to upload images to digital assests interface in CQ5.5, it is uploading the file, but doesn't generate thumbnail image. I tried to check crx-quickstart/logs, but there is nothing logged in there. Could someone please help me what are other configurations/logs I need to check to find the cause of this thumbnail generation problem?

• 1. Re: DAM not generating thumbnails
          andyshreve Level 1

After the Upload Assets dialog closes, you have to click the icon with the 2 blue arrows to refresh the right pane. You have to wait for these 2 CQ workflows to finish processing the new asset: "DAM Update Asset" and "DAM Meta Data Writeback". While these workflows are running you will see a small workflow icon in the Status column in the DAM. It would be nice if the right pane would auto refresh but it doesn't.

• 2. Re: DAM not generating thumbnails
            Warriork Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your input. I have been trying to refresh and wait for a while for workflows to complete. But, even if I check the assets after hours of time, I don't see that the thumbnail is generated. How would I be able to confirm that the workflows are really running and generting thumbnails? Any place where can see logs for the workflows. I checked /crx-quickstat/logs, but it doesn't have any information. Any further information would be of great help for troubleshooting. I've multiple CQ environments, but this problem is only on one environment. Is there anything that I can compare against other environments to verify?

• 3. Re: DAM not generating thumbnails
              andyshreve Level 1

Here are a couple easy ways to monitor workflows. On your CQ5 homescreen, look for a Workflows link. It will take you to the workflow console at http://localhost:4502/libs/cq/workflow/content/console.html . In the Instances tab of the console you can see any workflows that are currently running. Use the refresh button at the bottom of that tab to watch workflows begin and end. The Archive tab lists all the workflows that have run. Go the Launcher tab and make sure the out of the box workflow named "DAM Update Asset" is not disabled. This is the workflow that generates the renditions (thumbnails). Workflows with errors typically can be found in the workflow inbox at http://localhost:4502/libs/cq/workflow/content/inbox.html. You also might check the osgi console to make sure any dam-related components are active and not disabled.

• 4. Re: DAM not generating thumbnails
                Warriork Level 1

Thanks a lot for these details. I verified the Workflow console and learnt from Archive tab that the workflows 'DAM Update Asset' and 'DAM Metadata Writeback' have never run. So, I tried to manually start these two workflows from Models tab with appropriate payload and I could see that the thumbnails are created. Also, there are no active instances or errors related to these two workflows. So, there is no problem with workflows, but the workflows aren't launching. Upon verification from Launcher tab, it seems that the configuration is fine and they are enabled. In fact, configuration in Launcher is same as what I have on the other CQ instance where thumbnails are generated without issue. I have verified the OSGi console and compared with other CQ instances and both are similar and all DAM related components are active. I am currently stuck figuring out why the workflows aren't lauched automatically after I upload an image. I'm searching the web to find a solution for this. Please provide if you have any inputs regarding the same. Thank you.

• 5. Re: DAM not generating thumbnails
                  Warriork Level 1

To add more details, after I went through the log files in details and compared on two instances of CQ, following is the observation.

Log information on the CQ instance where thumbnails are generated properly is:

09.05.2013 19:26:31.949 *INFO* [ [1368127591893] POST /content/dam/guidelines.createasset.html HTTP/1.1] org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence.bundle.AbstractBundlePersistenceManager cachename=crx.defaultBundleCache[ConcurrentCache@5cedde53], elements=2622, usedmemorykb=8187, maxmemorykb=8192, access=1220089, miss=109944

09.05.2013 19:26:31.950 *INFO* [ [1368127591893] POST /content/dam/guidelines.createasset.html HTTP/1.1] com.day.crx.query.lucene.NodeIndexer Index document node a3dd0b3e-b3cb-4a74-9908-b3378b5c9ec1 mimeType:image/jpeg size:5 MB

09.05.2013 19:26:31.951 *INFO* [ [1368127591893] POST /content/dam/guidelines.createasset.html HTTP/1.1] com.day.crx.query.lucene.NodeIndexer Index document node a3dd0b3e-b3cb-4a74-9908-b3378b5c9ec1 mimeType:image/jpeg size:5 MB

09.05.2013 19:26:31.951 *INFO* [ [1368127591893] POST /content/dam/guidelines.createasset.html HTTP/1.1] com.day.crx.query.lucene.NodeIndexer Index document node a3dd0b3e-b3cb-4a74-9908-b3378b5c9ec1 mimeType:image/jpeg size:5 MB

09.05.2013 19:26:31.952 *INFO* [ [1368127591893] POST /content/dam/guidelines.createasset.html HTTP/1.1] com.day.crx.query.lucene.NodeIndexer Index document node a3dd0b3e-b3cb-4a74-9908-b3378b5c9ec1 mimeType:image/jpeg size:5 MB

09.05.2013 19:26:32.039 *INFO* [Workflow Starter Thread] com.day.cq.workflow.impl.CQWorkflowSession Workflow instance started with model: /etc/workflow/models/dam/update_asset/jcr:content/model and  ID: /etc/workflow/instances/2013-05-09_1/model_2095408891480784 for payload: /content/dam/guidelines/P1020558.JPG/jcr:content/renditions/original

Log information on the server where thumbnail isn't created is as follows:

09.05.2013 19:10:32.803 *WARN* [ [1368126632803] GET /content/dam/guidelines.1.json?cq_ck=1368126602226 HTTP/1.1] servletengine Invalid cookie. Value not a token or quoted value

09.05.2013 19:10:32.864 *WARN* [ [1368126632864] POST /content/dam/guidelines.createasset.html HTTP/1.1] servletengine Invalid cookie. Value not a token or quoted value

09.05.2013 19:10:34.845 *INFO* [ [1368126634769] POST /content/dam/guidelines.createasset.html HTTP/1.1] com.day.crx.query.lucene.NodeIndexer Index document node be2769ec-b8ce-4325-9902-49f90f6016e9 mimeType:image/jpeg size:5 MB

09.05.2013 19:10:34.847 *INFO* [ [1368126634769] POST /content/dam/guidelines.createasset.html HTTP/1.1] com.day.crx.query.lucene.NodeIndexer Index document node be2769ec-b8ce-4325-9902-49f90f6016e9 mimeType:image/jpeg size:5 MB

09.05.2013 19:10:34.848 *INFO* [ [1368126634769] POST /content/dam/guidelines.createasset.html HTTP/1.1] com.day.crx.query.lucene.NodeIndexer Index document node be2769ec-b8ce-4325-9902-49f90f6016e9 mimeType:image/jpeg size:5 MB

09.05.2013 19:10:34.849 *INFO* [ [1368126634769] POST /content/dam/guidelines.createasset.html HTTP/1.1] com.day.crx.query.lucene.NodeIndexer Index document node be2769ec-b8ce-4325-9902-49f90f6016e9 mimeType:image/jpeg size:5 MB

09.05.2013 19:10:35.914 *WARN* [ [1368126635914] GET /content/dam/guidelines.assets.json?_dc=1368126605536&start=0&limit=15&predicate=siteadmi n HTTP/1.1] servletengine Invalid cookie. Value not a token or quoted value

I'm not sure if the message "servletengine Invalid cookie. Value not a token or quoted value" is the cause of this problem. Trying to find out more information related to this.

• 6. Re: DAM not generating thumbnails
                    Yogesh Upadhyay Level 4

Note that CQ Can not generate thumbnail for all Images (Internally it uses Libraries to generate thumbnail and it can not process all Image to create thumbnail).

You can enable debugging on com.day.cq.dam.core.process.CreateThumbnailProcess and com.day.cq.dam.core.process.CreateWebEnabledImageProcess to get more information.

http://www.wemblog.com/2011/09/how-to-set-up-debug-mode-for.html

Yogesh

• 7. Re: DAM not generating thumbnails
                      Warriork Level 1

Thanks for your inputs. Have been trying to check the logs and it seems that the workflow is not launching at all. Given below are my observations. Please let me know if you have any inputs based on this.

1. As suggested, I enabled debugging for com.day.cq.dam.core.process.CreateThumbnailProcess and com.day.cq.dam.core.process.CreateWebEnabledImageProcess. But, there was nothing written to dam.log file even if I set log level to Trace. This makes me assume that the workflow is not launched at all.

2. So, I changed Apache Sling Logging Configuration's log level to Trace and uploaded an image. Then it has lot of information written to error.log file. But, it doesn't contain anything related to the error. It has some information related to com.day.cq.workflow.launcher.impl.WorkflowLauncherImpl.

3. Thus, I enabled logging for com.day.cq.workflow.launcher.impl.WorkflowLauncherImpl with log level as Trace. It has following information in the log file.

17.05.2013 17:11:12.104 *DEBUG* [ObservationManager] com.day.cq.workflow.launcher.impl.WorkflowLauncherImpl Resolving launcher config took: 2ms

17.05.2013 17:11:24.296 *DEBUG* [ObservationManager] com.day.cq.workflow.launcher.impl.WorkflowLauncherImpl ADDING:/content/dam/guidelines/kmk.jpg/jcr:content/renditions/original/jcr:content/jcr:mi meType

17.05.2013 17:11:24.301 *DEBUG* [ObservationManager] com.day.cq.workflow.launcher.impl.WorkflowLauncherImpl ADDING:/content/dam/guidelines/kmk.jpg/jcr:content/renditions/original

17.05.2013 17:11:24.302 *DEBUG* [ObservationManager] com.day.cq.workflow.launcher.impl.WorkflowLauncherImpl Resolving launcher config took: 6ms

From this log, it seems that the image is identified and added to the queue for processing. But, not sure where in the entire process it is breaking. At this moment, it seems the workflow is not at all launched. Please provide if anyone has suggestions for debugging this further.

• 8. Re: DAM not generating thumbnails
                        Yogesh Upadhyay Level 4

May be you can send image you are trying to process to daycare to analyze more. If there is something wrong with your enviornment then you can test on different instance and see if it works there.

Yogesh

• 9. Re: DAM not generating thumbnails
                          Warriork Level 1

I have tested this image on multiple other environments and it works on those. This issue is specifically on one evironment which I'm trying to find the root cause of the issue.

• 10. Re: DAM not generating thumbnails
                            Yogesh Upadhyay Level 4

Can you do this and see if that helps (Don't do this in prod without testing):

1) Remove all your workflow using workflow purge script.

2) remove everything under /etc/workflow/instances

3) Remove everything under /var/eventing/jobs/anon

4) Restart your instacne

5) Try again

Yogesh

• 11. Re: DAM not generating thumbnails
                              Sham HC Level 7

Hi Warriork,

In the instance where you are having issue can you please disable the version purge in felix console & then upload image & let us know if it picks the workflow.

Thanks,

Sham

• 12. Re: DAM not generating thumbnails
                                Warriork Level 1

Hi Sham HC,

I tried to look for option to disable version purge, but I don't find it. When I try to search, day documentation refers to something as "Day CQ WCM Version Manager" under configuration tab, but I didn't see anything related to this. It would be of great help if you could list the steps to disable this. I am using CQ5.5.

Hi Yognesh,

Thanks for your inputs. I am going to try the steps on localhost and check if it causes any problems and accordingly I'll check if I can do the same on the environment where the issue happens.

• 13. Re: DAM not generating thumbnails
                                  Yadav Brijesh Level 1

Hi,

Can you please confirm which browser and which CQ5 version you are using ?

Because there some times I have faced same issue with CQ 5.5 version on Chrome browser, So, If this is the case try to upload images from other browser.

Regards

Brijesh Yadav

• 14. Re: DAM not generating thumbnails
                                    Sham HC Level 7

Hi Warriork,

I was reffering at http://<host>:<port>/system/console/components/com.day.cq.wcm.core.impl.VersionManagerImpl

Thanks,

Sham

• 15. Re: DAM not generating thumbnails
                                      Warriork Level 1

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I couldn't get this working even after I tried these. But, our operations team restarted the instance once and we saw that it was working after the restart. But, couple of days later, we saw that the problem has resurfaced again and still trying to figure out what's causing the issue.

• 16. Re: DAM not generating thumbnails
                                        Yogesh Upadhyay Level 4

Seems to me that there is some problem with your eventing. Can you just restart Sling Event Support bundle and try again ?

Yogesh

• 17. Re: DAM not generating thumbnails
                                          Warriork Level 1

Thanks a lot for the inputs. It started working when restarted Slign Event Support bundle. Will monitor this few days and check if it fails again. But, at this moment, it's working fine. Thanks!