14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2007 11:33 AM by Newsgroup_User

anyone seen this graphic anywhere?

Level 7
      I've been asked to design a website for a non profit whose logo looks like
      http://www.kma-web.com/Test/logo.gif. That's all I've been given to work
      with, and they really like the idea of using that logo in some form or
      other. No one seems to know its origin, so I'm wondering if perhaps any of
      you have seen a version of this anywhere. Coloured and larger would be
      AWESOME!

Regards,
      Kathie

• 1. Re: anyone seen this graphic anywhere?
          Level 7
          Kathie,

You could recreate it in FW and color it as you wish - alex

Kathie McLaughlin wrote:
          > I've been asked to design a website for a non profit whose logo looks like
          > http://www.kma-web.com/Test/logo.gif. That's all I've been given to work
          > with, and they really like the idea of using that logo in some form or
          > other. No one seems to know its origin, so I'm wondering if perhaps any of
          > you have seen a version of this anywhere. Coloured and larger would be
          > AWESOME!
          >
          > Regards,
          > Kathie
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: anyone seen this graphic anywhere?
            Level 7
            Hmmm. Yes, I suppose I _could_ ... assuming I had that level of skill (!)

Any other suggestions?

K

"Alex Marino" <aSlePxAmar@mtM.net> wrote in message
            news:ffo5pq$ajf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Kathie,
            >
            > You could recreate it in FW and color it as you wish - alex
            >
            > Kathie McLaughlin wrote:
            >> I've been asked to design a website for a non profit whose logo looks
            >> like http://www.kma-web.com/Test/logo.gif. That's all I've been given to
            >> work with, and they really like the idea of using that logo in some form
            >> or other. No one seems to know its origin, so I'm wondering if perhaps
            >> any of you have seen a version of this anywhere. Coloured and larger
            >> would be AWESOME!
            >>
            >> Regards,
            >> Kathie

• 3. Re: anyone seen this graphic anywhere?
              Level 7
              Kathie,

Follow this tutorial. After you understand the Pen Tool, and with the
              standard shape tools, you will be able to recreate that image pretty easely.

http://www.communitymx.com/abstract.cfm?cid=A15CFD250F9D01EF

alex

Kathie McLaughlin wrote:
              > Hmmm. Yes, I suppose I _could_ ... assuming I had that level of skill (!)
              >
              > Any other suggestions?
              >
              > K
              >
              > "Alex Marino" <aSlePxAmar@mtM.net> wrote in message
              > news:ffo5pq$ajf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >> Kathie,
              >>
              >> You could recreate it in FW and color it as you wish - alex
              >>
              >> Kathie McLaughlin wrote:
              >>> I've been asked to design a website for a non profit whose logo looks
              >>> like http://www.kma-web.com/Test/logo.gif. That's all I've been given to
              >>> work with, and they really like the idea of using that logo in some form
              >>> or other. No one seems to know its origin, so I'm wondering if perhaps
              >>> any of you have seen a version of this anywhere. Coloured and larger
              >>> would be AWESOME!
              >>>
              >>> Regards,
              >>> Kathie
              >
              >
              • 4. Re: anyone seen this graphic anywhere?
                Level 7
                > I've been asked to design a website for a non profit whose logo looks like
                > http://www.kma-web.com/Test/logo.gif. That's all I've been given to work
                > with, and they really like the idea of using that logo in some form or
                > other. No one seems to know its origin, so I'm wondering if perhaps any
                > of you have seen a version of this anywhere. Coloured and larger would be
                > AWESOME!

It's THEIR logo. I can't imagine how anyone else would have a copy of it.

That said, the design of the web site shouldn't be based on the logo. The
                logo is just a signature/stamp stating the owner of the site. The design of
                the site should be based on the particular goals of the project.

-Darrel

• 5. Re: anyone seen this graphic anywhere?
                  Level 7
                  Okay, well this site is for a group of non-tech-savy cottage owners. As
                  with most such organizations, volunteers come and go, and
                  resources --graphic and otherwise-- are scrounged whereever they can be
                  found.

I have a strong suspicion that this logo began life in someone's clipart
                  collection and lost its lustre over years of photocopies and numberless
                  volunteers.

Just thought I could save myself a heap of time (for which no one is paying
                  me) if a more sophisticated form of the image could be found somewhere on
                  the web.

K

"darrel" <notreal@nowhere.com> wrote in message
                  news:ffo9m9$fmb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >> I've been asked to design a website for a non profit whose logo looks
                  >> like http://www.kma-web.com/Test/logo.gif. That's all I've been given to
                  >> work with, and they really like the idea of using that logo in some form
                  >> or other. No one seems to know its origin, so I'm wondering if perhaps
                  >> any of you have seen a version of this anywhere. Coloured and larger
                  >> would be AWESOME!
                  >
                  > It's THEIR logo. I can't imagine how anyone else would have a copy of it.
                  >
                  > That said, the design of the web site shouldn't be based on the logo. The
                  > logo is just a signature/stamp stating the owner of the site. The design
                  > of the site should be based on the particular goals of the project.
                  >
                  > -Darrel
                  >

• 6. Re: anyone seen this graphic anywhere?
                    Level 7
                    A very quick sketch using the pen, you could easily improve this a lot by
                    laying out a grid. The pen tool is your friend :-)

http://www.fasterthanu.com/misc_images/sun-n-sail.png

Peter
                    | with most such organizations, volunteers come and go, and
                    | resources --graphic and otherwise-- are scrounged whereever they can be
                    | found.
                    |
                    | I have a strong suspicion that this logo began life in someone's clipart
                    | collection and lost its lustre over years of photocopies and numberless
                    | volunteers.
                    |
                    | Just thought I could save myself a heap of time (for which no one is
                    paying
                    | me) if a more sophisticated form of the image could be found somewhere on
                    | the web.
                    |
                    | K
                    |
                    | "darrel" <notreal@nowhere.com> wrote in message
                    | news:ffo9m9$fmb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    | >> I've been asked to design a website for a non profit whose logo looks
                    | >> like http://www.kma-web.com/Test/logo.gif. That's all I've been given
                    to
                    | >> work with, and they really like the idea of using that logo in some
                    form
                    | >> or other. No one seems to know its origin, so I'm wondering if perhaps
                    | >> any of you have seen a version of this anywhere. Coloured and larger
                    | >> would be AWESOME!
                    | >
                    | > It's THEIR logo. I can't imagine how anyone else would have a copy of
                    it.
                    | >
                    | > That said, the design of the web site shouldn't be based on the logo.
                    The
                    | > logo is just a signature/stamp stating the owner of the site. The design
                    | > of the site should be based on the particular goals of the project.
                    | >
                    | > -Darrel
                    | >
                    |
                    |

• 7. Re: anyone seen this graphic anywhere?
                      Level 7

> I have a strong suspicion that this logo began life in someone's clipart
                      > collection and lost its lustre over years of photocopies and numberless
                      > volunteers.

Lost its luster? Naw. That's called PATINA! ;0)

> Just thought I could save myself a heap of time (for which no one is
                      > paying me) if a more sophisticated form of the image could be found
                      > somewhere on the web.

Well, you might be right. But, again, the logo shouldn't really have much
                      bearing on the site design anyways. It's just that 'stamp' you on it in the
                      end.

So, to help you, some ideas...

Are these rustic cabins? If so, maybe overlay the current logo onto some
                      pine logs as a woodburning effect.
                      White Picket Fence type places? Maybe repeat the logo with some varies
                      colors as a stencil motif.
                      Barring all that? Just keep it tiny and focus on other design elements.

-Darrel

• 8. Re: anyone seen this graphic anywhere?
                        Level 7
                        Hey Peter and Darrel
                        Thanks to your encouragement and sample, I have so far evolved this:
                        http://www.kma-web.com/Test/logo-in-progress.gif

It clearly still needs work (and Peter might recognize the shape of the
                        sails...) but I am feeling a smidgeon more confident about playing around
                        with the Pen Tool.

Darrel's comment about not basing the design on the logo really intrigues
                        me. In virtually all previous designs, I have started from a graphic of one
                        sort or another and built the look of the site around it. Is this totally
                        back-asswards or in violation of some principle I'm unaware of? Does anyone
                        else out there design this way?

Kathie

"Kathie McLaughlin" <kathie.mclaughlin@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
                        news:ffoa0o$g38$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Okay, well this site is for a group of non-tech-savy cottage owners. As
                        > with most such organizations, volunteers come and go, and
                        > resources --graphic and otherwise-- are scrounged whereever they can be
                        > found.
                        >
                        > I have a strong suspicion that this logo began life in someone's clipart
                        > collection and lost its lustre over years of photocopies and numberless
                        > volunteers.
                        >
                        > Just thought I could save myself a heap of time (for which no one is
                        > paying me) if a more sophisticated form of the image could be found
                        > somewhere on the web.
                        >
                        > K
                        >
                        > "darrel" <notreal@nowhere.com> wrote in message
                        > news:ffo9m9$fmb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        >>> I've been asked to design a website for a non profit whose logo looks
                        >>> like http://www.kma-web.com/Test/logo.gif. That's all I've been given
                        >>> to work with, and they really like the idea of using that logo in some
                        >>> form or other. No one seems to know its origin, so I'm wondering if
                        >>> perhaps any of you have seen a version of this anywhere. Coloured and
                        >>> larger would be AWESOME!
                        >>
                        >> It's THEIR logo. I can't imagine how anyone else would have a copy of it.
                        >>
                        >> That said, the design of the web site shouldn't be based on the logo. The
                        >> logo is just a signature/stamp stating the owner of the site. The design
                        >> of the site should be based on the particular goals of the project.
                        >>
                        >> -Darrel
                        >>
                        >
                        >

• 9. Re: anyone seen this graphic anywhere?
                          Level 7
                          > It clearly still needs work (and Peter might recognize the shape of the
                          > sails...) but I am feeling a smidgeon more confident about playing around
                          > with the Pen Tool.

It's a nice illustration. Is is a logo? I dunno.

Keep in mind that even the ugliest of logos carry some cache as recognizable
                          marks for the organization. Before you redesign what they have consult with
                          them to see how much they've already invested in it. If it's not much, then
                          no biggie, and this is probably a good direction to go.

> Darrel's comment about not basing the design on the logo really intrigues
                          > me. In virtually all previous designs, I have started from a graphic of
                          > one sort or another and built the look of the site around it. Is this
                          > totally back-asswards or in violation of some principle I'm unaware of?
                          > Does anyone else out there design this way?

Go to nike.com or apple.com

The logo is there, but it's not *the* design. The logo is merely a
                          signature.

Both sites 'scream' branding. The apple site, even without the little apple
                          logo would feel like the apple site. Nike site sans the swoosh would still
                          feel like the nike site. That's because there's strong brand elements
                          there...photography, color pallets, strong and consistent typography, etc.

Branding is much more than just making a really big logo.

In this case, I'd suggest playing with photography of lakes. Color pallettes
                          that echo the enviornment the cabins are in. Play with some typography.
                          Don't try to make the logo more than it is. It is, afterall, just the logo.
                          ;0)

-Darrel

• 10. Re: anyone seen this graphic anywhere?
                            Level 7
                            Thanks so much for taking the time to give me all this advice, Darrel. Much
                            appreciated. I will go in search of some appropriate photos and see what
                            brainstorms hit me.
                            Kathie

"Darrel" <notreal@nospam.com> wrote in message
                            news:ffoklq$t4n$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            >> It clearly still needs work (and Peter might recognize the shape of the
                            >> sails...) but I am feeling a smidgeon more confident about playing around
                            >> with the Pen Tool.
                            >
                            > It's a nice illustration. Is is a logo? I dunno.
                            >
                            > Keep in mind that even the ugliest of logos carry some cache as
                            > recognizable marks for the organization. Before you redesign what they
                            > have consult with them to see how much they've already invested in it. If
                            > it's not much, then no biggie, and this is probably a good direction to
                            > go.
                            >
                            >> Darrel's comment about not basing the design on the logo really intrigues
                            >> me. In virtually all previous designs, I have started from a graphic of
                            >> one sort or another and built the look of the site around it. Is this
                            >> totally back-asswards or in violation of some principle I'm unaware of?
                            >> Does anyone else out there design this way?
                            >
                            > Go to nike.com or apple.com
                            >
                            > The logo is there, but it's not *the* design. The logo is merely a
                            > signature.
                            >
                            > Both sites 'scream' branding. The apple site, even without the little
                            > apple logo would feel like the apple site. Nike site sans the swoosh would
                            > still feel like the nike site. That's because there's strong brand
                            > elements there...photography, color pallets, strong and consistent
                            > typography, etc.
                            >
                            > Branding is much more than just making a really big logo.
                            >
                            > In this case, I'd suggest playing with photography of lakes. Color
                            > pallettes that echo the enviornment the cabins are in. Play with some
                            > typography. Don't try to make the logo more than it is. It is, afterall,
                            > just the logo. ;0)
                            >
                            > -Darrel
                            >

• 11. Re: anyone seen this graphic anywhere?
                              abeall Level 3
                              Sorry to jump in late, but I couldn't help but mention another way you can convert simple logos into editable paths:
                              http://abeall.com/files/temp/sailboat.logo.converted.fw.png
                              • 12. Re: anyone seen this graphic anywhere?
                                Level 7
                                I overlook this one a lot.

thanks!

alex :)

abeall wrote:
                                > Sorry to jump in late, but I couldn't help but mention another way you can convert simple logos into editable paths:
                                > http://abeall.com/files/temp/sailboat.logo.converted.fw.png
                                • 13. Re: anyone seen this graphic anywhere?
                                  Level 7
                                  Brilliant work!

abeall wrote:
                                  > Sorry to jump in late, but I couldn't help but mention another way you can convert simple logos into editable paths:
                                  • 14. Re: anyone seen this graphic anywhere?
                                    Level 7
                                    Thanks so much for this, abeall. There were a couple of tricks in there
                                    that I didn't know about (or had forgotten).

If any of you who have been following this discussion are interested, my
                                    first draft of the website in question can be viewed at
                                    http://www.kma-web.com/BlockB/. Comments always welcome.

Kathie

"abeall" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                    news:ffr488$bk6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > Sorry to jump in late, but I couldn't help but mention another way you can
                                    > convert simple logos into editable paths: