10 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2013 6:09 PM by i_am_cipher

Adjustments affecting playback preview quality?

i_am_cipher

Hi,

I'm probably doing soemthing wrong again.

My video preview plays fine until I add any kind of adjustments to a clip, even as simple a vibrancy adjustmment. After I render then the preview gets very degraded and blocky.

i just undid all of my adjustments to my movie and re-rendred and instead of it being a green line through every clip, half have no line. The ones with no line playpback fine, but the ones with green lines playback bad quality.

Of course if I ad an adjustment to the clips that look fine,adn render, they get bad again.

I know this only afects the preview (atleast i think it is, the output looks ok) but its  abit diffcult working with video and trying to make proper adjustments when its difficult to see what you are doing because the quality turns to mush.

Still learning PE11, and i need to get this little project done in the next 2 weeks or so.

I tried searching about this bit can't seem to find an answer

Thanks

Jim

• 1. Re: Adjustments affecting playback preview quality?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Is your video card driver up to date?

Right click the monitor, select Playback Quality, and then determine if you get better results with Automatic or Highest options.

What is your project preset and what are the properties of your source media...video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, file extension, and such?

The no colored line over content would be indicative of a first drag to the Timeline, native format, and no edits on your side yet.

Are you using more than one than one monitor? Is the problem only with one specific footage or is this problem affecting everything from videos to stills?

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Adjustments affecting playback preview quality?
            i_am_cipher Level 1

You helped me also in this thread,,, http://forums.adobe.com/message/5294468#5294468

I'm on mac, and nvidoas site only has options for Windows drivers. I think mac updates them through software updates when available.

The preset and media is AVCHD 60, as I said when I publish and sahre its looking ok. Its only affecting the preview (but thats making it difficult to apply adjsutments and see how it looks)

yes, duh, i now realize that my clips with green I applied slow-mo to them...... they are the ones that look bad in the preview. (as i said any adjustments to the clips makes the preview turn bad)

Automatic or highest is the same.

Only using one monitor.  Its happening with several different clips

• 3. Re: Adjustments affecting playback preview quality?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

We will figure this out yet.

I am going to get my hands on some 1080p60 footage and apply some effects to it to confirm that there is nothing undocumented by Adobe that is going on.

I will start with vibrancy and see what happens.

I will get to that now unless I get detoured. Any other effects that cause more problems than others?

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Please double check to make sure that this is just a preview matter. What does the 1080p60 with applied effects look like at playback of its 1060p60 (AVCHD.mp4) export?

• 4. Re: Adjustments affecting playback preview quality?
                i_am_cipher Level 1

it seems like any effect, or speed change to the video give it this effect. Exporting it in AVCHD.pma however it looks ok

As a test I just created a new project, AVCHD 60 as the preset. Video played fine. I added some vibrancy, it still played ok. Then I rendered it and it just becomes pixelated and noticable quality drop.

I exported it as mp4 and it looks ok

• 5. Re: Adjustments affecting playback preview quality?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Thanks for the additional information.

Need your confirmation on an aspect of the preview problems with the 1080p60 to which effects are applied.

If you have not already checked this out, please import some jpeg photos, apply the same effects as those you were applying to the 1080p60, and then let us know if same problem with jpeg photos. If no problem, then check out using video of a format other than 1080p60. Hoping to rule in or out whether the problem is video format specific or a Premiere Elements 11/computer matter.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Adjustments affecting playback preview quality?
                    i_am_cipher Level 1

Yes its still doing it with a photo

I loaded this into the same AVCHD 60 project...

(photo shot with Canon 5D Mark III)

1.jpg

Added vibrancy and some brightness, rendered and it changes it to this...

2.jpg

There is a MUCH bigger drop off in quality however with the video than this...... but as you can see its still doing it.

And  my computer should have no problems handling this video..... Quad 3.5GHz i7, 16GB, nVidia 670, PE11 running off SSD on Mac

I also just  tested it on a 1080i 30 created project and it was much worse than the exmaple above.

EDIT:

Something else I think i should mention, I didn't think of this until now, but I'm not sure this should matter, but my mac is a hackintosh I build myself in December.  I've had absolutely zero isues with it or any conflicts with any other programs or software.  Unless there is some conflict with the video card and this software, but from my knowlsege that shouldn't happen.

I have Win7 running on a seperate SSD drive, i'm going to try and get some video editing software on there, maybe a PE11 trial, and see what happens.Just to rule that out.

• 7. Re: Adjustments affecting playback preview quality?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

You wrote:

I have Win7 running on a seperate SSD drive, i'm going to try and get some video editing software on there, maybe a PE11 trial, and see what happens.Just to rule that out.

Sounds like a great idea.

I have never had a Mac, so I do not have any first hand experience with Mac and video card and their drivers. Any chance you can contact the manufacturer of the video card and see if there is any Mac video card information out there that might shed some light on this. It really sounds like a video card problem. Guess work.

I was just about to post some "just in case" ideas for the Premiere Elements 11 Mac when I saw your plan.

Not sure if the following would help, but...

a. Edit Menu/Project Settings/Video Render

Maybe take a look at "Maximum Bit Depth" with and without check mark

and

"Optimize Stills" with and without check mark

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Adjustments affecting playback preview quality?
                        i_am_cipher Level 1

Checking or unchecking the video render settings made no difference.

Mac updates the graphics card drivers automatically. Whenever there is a new driver for anything on your computer they have it available in a software update. So I should be all set on my Mac

As i said, this is a custom made mac, and as far as i know, it run perfectly fine. No issues. but since its  custom, maybe there is some sort of internal conflict.....

But as I said above just to be sure, I also have windows 7 running on the same computer on a completely different SSD drive. So I just downloaded the PE11 trial and unfortunately its giving me the same results.

I can't imagine this being an issue with my graphics card. Well, i play grpahic intense video games with it and its smooth as can be, I've never had any issues with video or anything since building this in December.

This is why i've never liked video and have stuck to photos   Too many complications like this, or maybe its me, this whole thing is making me feel dumb lol

Could it be the video files themselves causing this problem?

would it be possible to send you a 5 second clip and see what it does for you?

Jim

• 9. Re: Adjustments affecting playback preview quality?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Please check your Adobe Forum Private Messages for one from me.

Your results with Premiere Elements 11 Mac trial and Windows were a surprise.

But, just to confirm...have you said that the issue exists for video (same or different format) as well as jpeg photos?

More later...

ATR

• 10. Re: Adjustments affecting playback preview quality?
                            i_am_cipher Level 1

I wanted to follow up with this and also hope maybe get help resolving this issue i'm still having.

ATR was kind enough to test one of my videos on his system and it worked fine. So there isn't anything wrong with my files.

Its not PE11 either....

I've installed Power Director 11 in Windows 7 and its still behaving the same way! My preview within the program looks very bad.However in PD11 if i set it to the highest quality preview then it will be good quality, but play back in slow motion.

Just like with PE11, in PD11 I can export and save in very nice quality. Its only the in program preview playback thats being affected. Strange.

I'm assuming its my video card at this point, nVidia geForce 670. I have posted my issue on their support forum and awaiting a response but wanted to post here again incase maybe somone else has had this sort of video card issue before and can guide me in the right direction or some possible settings I need to adjust.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Jim