4 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2013 9:18 AM by calcerts RSS

Blurry end product?

calcerts

I shot all imagery in HD and it looked good while editing but when I did the "share" at the end, no mattter which format, they all look slightly out of focus.  Having been a cameraman in the past, I know focus and lack of when I see it and this seems pronounced.  I'm wondering if I'm missing a toggle somewhere??

Thanks,  Kevin

• 1. Re: Blurry end product?
          A.T. Romano Community Member

Kevin

When you say that the "HD" looks good while editing are you talking about the rendered Timeline at playback in the Edit Mode Monitor? If so...

Your export settings need to be looked into.

Please supply the following information, and I will suggest some settings for you to try to solve and/or identify the core of your issue.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using, on what computer operating system (including 32 or 64 bit)? Is your computer optimized and drivers up to date?

Project Preset

Properties of Source Media (including video/audio compressions, frame size, frame rate, progressive or interlaced, if interlaced Field Order: Lower or Upper Field First, file extension, duration.

What is your first choice for export of this video to a file saved to the computer hard drive or to disc (DVD or Blu-ray)?

Let us start here.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Blurry end product?
            calcerts Community Member

A.T.,

Thank you for the email and my apologies for the late reply.

I am new to all this video editing stuff and to Adobe Premiere Elements 11 so, please excuse my lack of knowledge on these topics.  I had been a motion picture cameraman but that was all film stock, we didn’t need to know all this “electronic stuff”.

I’ll try answering your questions one by one.  This may also help me better understand the intricacies of the program and video editing and transferring in general.

Here are your questions when I complained about a “soft” final transfer image:

“When you say that the "HD" looks good while editing are you talking about the rendered Timeline at playback in the Edit Mode Monitor? If so... Now that you mention it, even the playback during editing seemed a bit soft but, it was really exaggerated after the file had been “shared” no matter to which media extension, I did them all (mpeg, avi, mov, etc.).

Your export settings need to be looked into. Are you referring to the export settings when starting the “sharing” process when your selecting the file types, etc.?

Please supply the following information, and I will suggest some settings for you to try to solve and/or identify the core of your issue.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using, on what computer operating system (including 32 or 64 bit)? Is your computer optimized and drivers up to date?

Running Premiere Elements 11 on a brand new 64bit Lenovo PC.

Project Preset Sorry to ignorant, are the “presets” you’re referring the ones prior to starting a brand new project OR the “presets” for the final transfer process?

Properties of Source Media (including video/audio compressions, frame size, frame rate, progressive or interlaced, if interlaced Field Order: Lower or Upper Field First, file extension, duration.

The following is information  in the “Sharing” wizard that I can see when I’m about to do a transfer.

I typically start with a transfer to a ‘Computer”, saved as MPEG.  The presets, that I haven’t touched, are;

Presets: NTSC DVD Standard

File Type: MPEG2-DVD

Frame Size: 720x480

Frame rate (fps): 29.97

TV Standard: NTSC

Audio Setting: Dolby Digital, 192 kbps, 48 kHz

File Size: 253.00 MB

Duration: 5 min, 28.00 sec

If I’m preparing it for Facebook or YouTube the presets, that I haven’t touched, are;

Presets: Facebook HD

File Type: H.264

Frame Size: 1280x720

Frame rate (fps): 29.97

Audio Setting: AAC, 128 kbps, 44.1 kHz, Stereo

File Size: 245.35 MB

Duration: 5 min, 28.00 sec

What is your first choice for export of this video to a file saved to the computer hard drive or to disc (DVD or Blu-ray)?  Again, sorry to be naïve but, I’m not sure which is best for our company.  We would be showing some of these internally produced videos in classroom settings sent through a projector or shown on a monitor.  We may also be sending smaller mini-versions of a larger video to our Facebook page or YouTube to entice folks to visit us.  We might sell series of videos as disc bundles for those who appreciate a tangible medium.  So, the question is which is the best choice for a final transfer or, should it be a variety of outputs to satisfy these various future needs?

Thanks for your help!  It’s much appreciated.  I really see the power of the software and don’t want to be discouraged by the soft images that can easily(?) be corrected.

I look forward to your reply.

Kevin

Sincerely,

Kevin Beck

Director of Training

Description: S:\CalCERTS New Business Documents and Templates\Logos\New CalCERTS Logos\New CalCERTS Logo Star Only\Color\calcerts logo with star no calif full color for signature.png

CalCERTS, Inc.

31 Natoma Street, Suite 120

Folsom, CA 95630

•Tel: 916-985-3400 x216  I  Cell: 415-573-8940  I  7Fax: 916-985-3402

www.calcerts.com<http://www.calcerts.com/

• 3. Re: Blurry end product?
              A.T. Romano Community Member

Kevin,

Thanks for the follow up. I just need to pin point a few more details and then I will suggest a what next.

1. For the 720 x 480, could you download the free MediaInfo and get a properties readout for your file. You have posted much of the information, but I would like to confirm display standard 4:3 or widescreen 16:9 as well as Scan Type and Scan Order. Hopefully we will see the requested information in the MediaInfo properties readout.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

2. This is what I would like you to try as a preliminary test

Open Premiere Elements 11, go to File Menu/New/Project and in the New Project dialog that opens, set the project preset to either NTSC DV Standard or NTSC DV Widescreen, depending on whether you have standard or widescreen footage. Both will have a frame size of 720 x 480, but widescreen will include a 16:9 flag for video stretching for display after encoding. Before you close out of the New Project dialog, make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force selected Project setting on this project".

Next use Add Media to bring your file into the program and its Project Assets area. From Project Assets, drag the file to the Timeline (Expert view).

a. Is there an orange line over the Timeline content? If yes, proceed. If no, press the Render button above the Timeline or go to Timeline Menu/Render Work Area. After rendering is completed, the orange line over the Timeline content will be replaced with a green one. That is the program telling you that you are seeing the best possible preview in the monitor. Once you edit that video, the line will be red. This color indicator system is for letting you know when you are looking at the best possible preview that the program can give. No colored line and green mean, best possible preview displaying; orange, means rendering needed to get possible preview. So, I would ask what is the quality of the rendered Timeline content when viewed in the Edit Mode monitor?

If you have 720 x 480 widescreen footage and your project is set for NTSC DV Widescreen, your video should fill the space in the monitor...no black borders.

For your export, let us try Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets: = HD 720p30. See what that looks like played back in Windows Media Player.

Keep in mind that you are not starting with high definition video. With those properties that you posted, you have standard definition that could be 4:3 heading for a HD 16:9 export. Right now I am assuming widescreen footage.

Let us use the above test to get a baseline and then decide what next in your preparation for Facebook and a 1280 x 720 (720p30) there.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Blurry end product?
                calcerts Community Member

Hello A.T.,

Again, thank you for taking the time with me to go over this stuff.

I have asked more questions in RED below…

Sincerely,

Kevin Beck

Director of Training

Description: S:\CalCERTS New Business Documents and Templates\Logos\New CalCERTS Logos\New CalCERTS Logo Star Only\Color\calcerts logo with star no calif full color for signature.png

CalCERTS, Inc.

31 Natoma Street, Suite 120

Folsom, CA 95630

•Tel: 916-985-3400 x216  I  Cell: 415-573-8940  I  7Fax: 916-985-3402

www.calcerts.com<http://www.calcerts.com/