4 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2013 5:21 AM by station_two RSS

Alternatives?

Czytt1

Which application should I use to replace Photoshop now that Adobe have made it unfeasible for most photographers to use it (i.e. the CC version)?

I'm a Windows user so I'm guessing Gimp, PaintShop Pro and Photoline are my main choices, but which is best?

• 1. Re: Alternatives?
          Dragoro21 Community Member

20 bucks a month is hardly unfeasible.

• 2. Re: Alternatives?
            Community Member

Feasible does not equal justifiable or, for many, affordable.

If you've been accustomed to upgrading every three years, $20 a month works out to $720 for what you used to pay $190.

Besides, how long do you suppose it's going to take for the monthly subscription fee to go up now?

• 3. Re: Alternatives?
              Czytt1 Community Member

Depends on income, but OK, let's call it unreasonable.  They want that twenty bucks (which is 28 in the UK, by the way) every month for the rest of my life.

Over, say, a modest 30 years (and I'm hoping for more), that's over ten thousand bucks for a software package.

Now that, I call unfeasible.

My question was geniune, though.  Does anyone know which are the best alternatives?

• 4. Re: Alternatives?
                Community Member

Czytt1 wrote:

…My question was geniune, though.  Does anyone know which are the best alternatives?

At this point, for photographers, Aperture, GIMP, Acorn…  Designers and illustrators are screwed.