8 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2013 9:06 PM by aslkit

page version

aslkit

I wonder when I restore the version of a page, will those picture/digital asset also return back to that moment?

For example, I have a abc.jpg in an article. After few years, the abc.jpg become version 2.0. When I restore the page back to few yrs before, I will see abc.jpg version 1.0 or version 2.0?

Will it be possible to get back version 2.0?

• 1. Re: page version
          Yogesh Upadhyay Level 4

Yes. Using restore version you can restore to any version as long as version as there.

Yogesh

• 2. Re: page version
            aslkit Level 1

I think you may have some misunderstanding about my question. Let me elaborate more.

a1.png

Then I create a version for that page.

a11.png

Now I create another version of the pic in DAM

a111.png

The page will become like this.

a1111.png

I am now going to restore the page back to the version I create just now.

a111111.png

However the pic is still the new one but not the version 1.0

a21.png

Is it CQ normal behaviour? Actually I expect it will be the version 1.0 after the restoration.

• 3. Re: page version
              Sham HC Level 7

AFAIK You need to explicitly restore version from versions tab of dam asset detail page.

• 4. Re: page version
                aslkit Level 1

But how about I use the timewrap to preview the previous version?

If I just want to preview the past version, it is impossible that I restore the dam asset.

• 5. Re: page version
                  Jörg Hoh Adobe Employee

A page (as entity) does not contain all linked references, therefor just reverting the page to a specific version does not change the references to a matching version.

Sling does not allow you to specify a version string as part of the URL to retrieve an older version; therefor you would need to restore all referenced resources to the version you want.

Jörg

• 6. Re: page version
                    aslkit Level 1

Actually I think it is a problem.

As a end user, after I restore the version of a page, I should see the whole picture of that version instead of asking me to restore the version in dam manually. You can imagine that I may create many version for each asset. How can I find out the exact version of that asset which match the version of that content?

Also, there are no indicator shows me that the asset in my restored version are not in sync with the content.

You can imagine no one will use the restore version in CQ finally.

Please point out if I have any misunderstanding.

• 7. Re: page version
                      Jörg Hoh Adobe Employee

The versioning feature was never meant to be used for auditing purposes; if you need to store revisions for legal purposes, you should use a different approach. Because if you want to restore a version from 2 years ago, it will probably render differently, because you likely have changed the application and the rendering components as well. And a question to the images: Why do you reuse the same name for a different image? Why don't you choose a different one?

Jörg

• 8. Re: page version
                        aslkit Level 1

"Why do you reuse the same name for a different image? Why don't you choose a different one?"

For example the logo of a company. the name sure it will be logo.gif even I change the logo of my company. Moreover, if I cannot use the same name for a different image, then when should I use versioning function in dam?

Only when I change the alt-text?