3 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2013 12:22 PM by absqua

xml impacting text flow

Ben S Ko

We have a script that inserts xml tags to document where pagebreaks are and in some instances, where linebreaks are.

We're noticing that in some circumstances insertion of an xml tag will cause the paragraph composer to re-justify the paragraph.

Is there anyway to insert XML without tripping the paragraph composer?

Note, this re-justification happens when XML is inserted manually as well.

Thanks,

Ben

• 1. Re: xml impacting text flow
          absqua Level 4

I haven't personally ever seen the 0xfeff characters InDesign uses to hold the xml tag markers trigger a recomposition.

When I've seen recompositions that didn't make sense to me, it has often turned out to be a document created in one version of InDesign, and then converted to a newer version. Touching the text in a particular story in any way triggers a recomposition of that story using the current, newer engine. Have you ruled that scenario out—by, for instance, recomposing all stories (command-option-/ on the Mac)? Just an idea.

Jeff

• 2. Re: xml impacting text flow
            Ben S Ko Level 1

Thanks Jeff.  command-option-/ was first thing i tried. Nothing on that page reflowed. Then i added one processing instruction. Still nothing reflowed. Then i added a processing-instruction in another line in the same para. Then the para reflowed.

Since posting i also saw a separate thread on someone inserting index markers getting text reflow, and someone replying saying:

"Yes, this is a known issue. Zero width characters are not really totally

zero width. Inserting them can cause text reflow... "

Granted, they were talking about CS2 at the time, but at least it demonstrates a precedent that backs up what i am seeing today.

• 3. Re: xml impacting text flow
              absqua Level 4

"Known issue" in 2008, and still known to us today...

I guess I can be glad I don't often work with long documents. Maybe someone who does will come along with a workaround...