9 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2013 12:33 PM by JEShort01

To sager or not to sager?

MatthewsM7 Level 1

The past few months I've been mulling over different laptop options -- an editing beast is my aim. I recognize the desktop alternative as the most efficient, BBFYB overall choice, but I need this portable option right now.

I've landed on Sager and keep going back to them. It seems like they have some affordable, beastly, options. I see limited discussion about sager, or Clevo on these forums and would love to open up the discussion to anyones experience with them, especially in regards to Premiere Pro.

I'm thinking of doing a 17" laptop -- with possibly 32gb Ram, SSD for OS and Programs, and two decently fast hard drives outside of that. And with the potential of SLI being supported by the upcoming updates -- This seems like the most affordable option. What do you think?

• 1. Re: To sager or not to sager?
          JEShort01 Level 4

"editing beast is my aim"... Then yes, Sager is an awesome choice.

The model you link to looks like a beast with the 6-core i7-3930k being one of the cpu choices. There are lots of configuration options for the Sager, so you may get more feedback from this forum if you started getting pretty specific of how you would configure it considering your price point.

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: To sager or not to sager?
            MatthewsM7 Level 1

I would like to believe it is an awesome choice -- and potentially even a more awesome choice with a middleman company like XoticPC to assist in the build and warranty.

HOWEVER, Sadly, after just a quick google search, one immediately notices the poor reviews on http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Sager

3.67/10

Yikes!

Just a couple quotes:

"Sager is a Chinese based company that is selling junky products."

"Sager products are terrible; I will not recommend this brand to anyone. If you are reading this review, please do not buy their products. I will definitely avoid their products like disease in the future. Do not listen to those people who are saying Sager laptops are great!"

What is your opinion of Sager notebooks? Any thoughts from anyone?

• 3. Re: To sager or not to sager?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Matthews,

This is the first I heard such kind of reactions about Sager. There are a number of people here who are very enthusiastic about their Sager products and some plan to get new Sager products in the near future.

The problem with these kind of 'customer reviews' is that they are not reviews, they never state what exactly caused their grievance in the first place, etc. Just a combination of non- or ill-founded criticisms without facts to support them.

For instance, the claim that it is a China based company is not true. It is a California based company. Well, both start with the capital letter C and end with a lower case 'a', but that is where the similarities end. Even if it were true that Sager were a Chinese company, so what? All iPhone, iPod, iPad, iMac etc. are built on Foxconn components with huge production facilities in China. Huawei is making huge steps in the mobile phone market and is Chinese.

I can imagine you have second thoughts when you read some statements like you quoted, but urge you to consider them against fact based remarks or reviews.

The fact that many Apple products are built on Chinese Foxconn components, just as about all tablets on the market, does not mean all Apple products and all tablets are junky products.

Let me rephrase the second 'review':

"Sager Adobe products are terrible; I will not recommend this brand to anyone. If you are reading this review, please do not buy their products. I will definitely avoid their products like disease in the future. Do not listen to those people who are saying Sager laptops are Adobe software is great!"

How plausible is that statement? Utterly unbelievable, especially when you consider there are already 500,000 Creative Cloud members. If this statement were made with facts substantiating the claim, something like:

"Sagerproducts are terrible; I will not recommend this brand to anyone. If you are reading this review, please do not buy their products. I will definitely avoid their products like disease in the future. Do not listen to those people who are saying Sager laptops are great!"

Why?

1. Delivery was two months overdue.
              2. The battery lasted only 10 minutes and now - three months later - I'm still waiting for a replacement under warranty.
              3. The number of dead pixels is increasing by the day. I now have over 230 dead pixels on my screen.
              4. etc.

Now the comment begins to make sense, even though this may well be an exception to the rule, just a Monday morning model and lacking support to solve the issue. Well, maybe the reviewer lives somewhere in the vicinity of Timbuktu in Mali, where a civil war is going on and telephones and internet are out, so the heavily censored 'Chinese' company can not reach this client, and so on.

I think you would be best off when people who actually use Sager products for editing tell you their experiences, people like Bill Hunt, Jim Davis and others.

Just my $ 0.02

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: To sager or not to sager?
                MatthewsM7 Level 1

This is exactly what I needed! Someone to take a stand for the good of this company Now I can live in peace in buying one.

Yes, these reviews are weak and have no factual support -- or stories behind them. If you look more within the website linked, most of the problems and low ratings seem to be related to the poor experience having to ship back and forth for repairs, etc. But, regardless, thank you for emboldening me, Harm!

I have a few thoughts in regards to my Sager (of which I am most likely ordering today) and would appreciate your thoughts, or anyone reading.

1. A recent blog post about Premiere CC, mentions

"Finally, for customers using configurations containing multiple GPUs, Premiere Pro CC can use all of them during export (but not during playback) so customers who require the fastest possible encode times will be able to leverage all the GPUs they own."

Now -- this is exciting! But it begs the question for me -- Will PP begin to support multiple GPU's for playback (SLI)? Can anyone comment on this? I must decide if it is REALLY worth getting two GPU's in my 17" sager!

2. In my Sager -- is it worth really configuring my HDD's in a RAID, or some specific set-up. I beleive you can have up to 4 HDD's -- awesome! But, I think I am leaning towards 1 SSD for OS, and two "750GB 7200rpm SATA2 Hard Drive". What do you think?

3. In my team work environment -- does anyone know a solution for working from multiple external hard drives that both Mac and PC's can use effectically (my Sager is disrupting the Mac-centricicty at my job) Perhaps formatting them to a FAT32 configuration.

4. IS it safe waters to purchase my sager with Windows 8 -- or should I stick with 7!?

SO many questions, so little time! I would appreciate your feedback!

• 5. Re: To sager or not to sager?
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

MatthewsM7 wrote:

1. A recent blog post about Premiere CC, mentions

"Finally, for customers using configurations containing multiple GPUs, Premiere Pro CC can use all of them during export (but not during playback) so customers who require the fastest possible encode times will be able to leverage all the GPUs they own."

Now -- this is exciting! But it begs the question for me -- Will PP begin to support multiple GPU's for playback (SLI)? Can anyone comment on this? I must decide if it is REALLY worth getting two GPU's in my 17" sager!

Dual GPU's yes but probably not in SLI.mode.  I do not know if SLI can be disabled in the nVidia control panel.  That is something you will have to verify with the integrator or nVidia.  And then it depends on how much you use the MPE accelerated effects and features.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

Have you checked with ADK on a guaranteed NLE powerhouse Laptop.Give Eric a call..

• 6. Re: To sager or not to sager?
                    MatthewsM7 Level 1

Thanks for your repsonse, Bill. I think I would rather pay a lot less with Sager/XoticPC (And maybe take a little more risk) than go with ADK.

• 7. Re: To sager or not to sager?
                      JEShort01 Level 4

Regarding 1. (dual video) - NO! Just get one. PPro pushes much of your system at the same time and you don't want anything unnecessary in there using power and creating heat

Regarding 2. Concur with the plan for SSD boot + 2xRAID 0 7200; Seagate Momentus 750GB drives are nice if you can get those

Regarding 3. No clue - sorry!

Regarding 4. My vote would be to stick with Win7. This is based mostly on some Win8 converts simply hating it and really nobody saying it has any new to-die-for features over Win7.

Jim

• 8. Re: To sager or not to sager?
                        MatthewsM7 Level 1

I forsee myself needing to work from a USB3 hard drive or possibly off a server (or CC in the future). Is my hard drive set-up as RAID0 really going to matter in this instance?

Even with that aside, is RAID 0 worth it? Should I utilize my 4th slot some how?

Slot 1: SSD (OS + Programs)

Slots 2 & 3: Raid 0 (2x750gb -7200rpm) (Video files)

Slot 4: ????

How should I organize my files?

Would it be much different to just have:

Slot 1:SSD (OS + Programs)
                        Slot 2: 750 gb 7200

Slot 3: 750 gb 7200

Slot 4: ???>

***EDIT***

Of course, I found Harm's very helpful explanation:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?start=0&tstart=0

But is RAID 0 worth it on this SAGER laptop (Is it that much faster) Thoughts?

• 9. Re: To sager or not to sager?
                          JEShort01 Level 4

Laptop drives, even the 7200 rpm drives, are not nearly as fast as large (2/3TB) desktop 7200 drives w/ 64MB caches. I would definitely go RAID 0 in your SAGER.

There are certainly smart people on this forum that prefer single drives and sharing the work amongst them. I personally profess to be in the RAID camp for the speed it provides.

Slot 4? Maybe just ignore it for now. Is that also shared with the optical drive?

Regards,

Jim