3 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2013 7:46 AM by [scott]

Why are text frames shifting upon PDF/x-1a export?

[scott] Level 6

Strange problem.

Mac OS 10.7.5 / Indesign 7.5.3 (CS5)

Suddenly I have a page which shifts it's text frame but ONLY upon PDF/X-1a export. The Indesign page appears fine. A standard, low resolution, proofing PDF appears fine. The issue is only present with PDF/X-1a is used. And it appears to happen only on one page of a 36 page peice.

PDF/X-1a file....

Snap_001.png

Low resolution proof PDF:

Snap_002.png

If I export only pages 4 and 5 as PDF/X-1a page 5 appears fine. Only when I export the either piece is there a problem,

I'm dumbfounded as to why this one page is shifting the text frame upon export. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Why are text frames shifting upon PDF/x-1a export?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You're exporting, not distilling, right? and this happens only on one page?

• 2. Re: Why are text frames shifting upon PDF/x-1a export?
            [scott] Level 6

Yes exporting to PDF/X-1a not distilling.

Sorted, but very odd.

Document is facing pages with 3 double-page master spreads.

First 5 pages were set up to use masters 1A, 2C, 3A, 4A, 5A

I can export pages 2-5 and everything is fine. If I export pages 1-5, page 5 is misaligned again.

There is no content which crosses the gutters.

Page 2, although using master C had the master contens covered completely. So, technically it didn't matter what master page was assigned to page 2. So I changed the masters to A, A, A, A, A and everything exports as expected.

While this solved the issue, it doesn't make sence. There are other spreads in the piece which use a C master on the right and an A master on the left and they export fine.

Guess I'll chaulk this up to a gremlin.

• 3. Re: Why are text frames shifting upon PDF/x-1a export?
              [scott] Level 6

Thsi is maddening. It's happening again this morning with a different piece.

56 page piece, if I export to PDF/X-1a text frames on pages 7 and 48 are misaligned. But If I export only pages 7 and 48, they are fine. It's only when the entire piece is exported that the problem occurs.

Nothing crosses gutters and it's always a right side page with the mis-aligned text frame. Exporting to low resolution PDFs works as expected.

Only an issue in Ind 7.5.3 (CS5) using the same job options, the same (updated) file in Ind 8.0.1 (CS6) doesn't have the issue.

This makes for untrustworthy PDF/X files from Ind 7.5... which is not a good thing for me.

Anyone have any insight at all?