25 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2013 7:46 AM by preditorj40153117

most efficient way to browse MTS files

preditorj40153117 Level 1

I have been using mts for about 2 years now.

when i get my sd car out of my cameras i usually dump and then browse in Premier.

However this is getting quite old and it takes a hell of a long time to go thru 5-10 sd cards this way.

Is there an app that i can use to view the mts files like its a qt movie?

with .mov i can just plug the card into my sd reader and browse within finder. dont have to import or open an nle.

I know that .mov is native in osx but is there a way of getting some plug that would allow my mac to treat the mts the same?

• 1. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I use Bridge for this.

• 2. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files

Maybe i need to install a codec or something.

brshot.png

• 3. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I think you need CS6 for it to work.

• 4. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files
                Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

I use VLC:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Free, works on Mac/Windows, opens parts of spanned clips, will open anything (even horribly corrupted files!).  I don't advocate using it to convert (though some people do) but it's great to look at things fast

Allynn

• 5. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you update the Bridge.

In the Bridge MTS has been supported for quite some time now.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files

Luckily, I have both Masters cs5 & 6. Bridge in CS6 worked great. Thats what i needed, and the added benefit of being able to name them right in bridge solves everything.

Whooo Weeeee !!! 

This saves me about 6-10hrs a week.

Ann I do not think i have ever done any bridge updates other than the ones that were pushed. When i did my update just now though bridge (CS5) It only updated apps in the CS6 suite.

. . . . . .

• 7. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

name them right in bridge

That may not be a good idea.  Ideally, you should leave everything in the PRIVATE folder intact and unaltered.  Changing anything can sometimes interfere with PP's handling of that media.

• 8. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files

Really?

These files are named....

0001.MTS

0002.MTS

0003.MTS

and so on.

I am dumping 4 separate shoots to their respective project follders even as i write this post.

I normally only pull the stream folder from the camera's SD and rename through r-name.

to many 0001.mts files on my drives makes searches hell on wheels.

Tomorrow i will be shooting in .mov from my gh3 and tey will have generic names also.

Why would i not rename?

• 9. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Like I said, there are times when changing something can cause PP you not work with the media as designed.  Spanned clips, as one example.

It is a pain to have multiple 0001.mts files, but that's the reality we all deal with.

• 10. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files

Would you say that this is mostly an issue with MTS?

I had 2 shoots today and decided on the 1080p24 .mov format. I am guessing that the same issue would not exist with this format.

T/F?

• 11. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

It depends on the camera more than anything.  If you get a bunch of MOV clips in the same folder, with no other files or folders, you're probably safe.  But if there are other files and folders, then you may well run into issues if you change anything.

The one issue MOV clips have is that QuickTime is still a 32 bit process, compared to PP's 64 bit code.

• 12. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files

gh3 is the camera. I also use the hmc150 which is all avc.

I just never had problems. Of course, i move the clips from the sd before i rename 99% of the time. This is what made me think that once the files made it to the computer it was safe to rename.

People have said that the rename only effects the mts if it is still on the card. Once the transfer takes place it becomes self contained on your hdd..

• 13. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files
                                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I just tested the AVCHD mode on the GH3 tonight and ran into no issues at all. Renaming is not a problem, and you don't have to copy over the entire file.

So, for GH3 owners, all is right with the world.

As for using the .mov format instead of the mp4 format or mts format, there does not seem to be any speed or agility issues in Premiere Pro CS6. Works fine, 32 bit or not.

• 14. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files

Jim

I can see the files with bridge cs6 but can not rename.

• 15. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I just tested the AVCHD mode on the GH3

Spanned media?  PP still saw the files as one clip even after the changes?

• 16. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files

PP alwys sees it. and matches the TC. But opening PPro for dailies is overkill. I can at least see them with Bridge cs6 and use r-name to name them in a batch.

• 17. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files
                                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Jim,

No. Separate files.

I don't really know how or why a camera would "span". Mine doesn't appear to do so, and I will pull out of the conversation. I just wanted to make sure I understood it.

I don't imagine the GH3 is any different than your GH2 in that respect.

• 18. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files

I have the gh3 and 2 hmc150.

The hmc's are still heavily used and i can not see a reason to obsolete them from my shoots. They still awesome for filming. CCD's handle action much much better than CMOS.

The MTS files drive me crazy. I may not beable to do everything in bridge but just having a thumbnail in bridge has made a big difference. I logged 47hrs of footage today (normally 2days). I had 2 jobs on 2 sd cards, 1 card with 3 jobs and 3 other cards with a job a piece. That was just the HMC's.

GH3 had 1 card with 2 jobs in MTS and one card with another job shot in MOV.

It looked like a nightmare until i got the tip on Bridge CS6.

I could not imagine having 15x 0001.mts files on my media drives.

I can not remember a clip spanning but i always stop filming to create clips for each take. I have not had a clip go over 1.5 gigs yet. GH3 has a 4gig max file size for a single continuous clip i think.

• 19. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

No. Separate files.

See, that's a problem.  With spanned files kept intact in their folders, PP sees and treats them as one clip, as it should.

The reasons clips span is because camera makers are behind the times.  They force us to use the outdated FAT32 file system on the cards, which can only create files up to 4GB in size.  Some cameras will simply stop recording when you hit that 4GB limit, like the much lauded 5D MkII.  Other cameras will create a new file to continue the recording, and add the necessary metadata for NLEs to 'stitch' the files back together, seeing them properly as one long clip.

• 20. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

1 card with 3 jobs

1 card with 2 jobs

Dude, you're making life difficult.  One job per card.  Empty it and reformat it in camera before starting a new job.

• 21. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files
                                                  Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

What Jim said.  SD cards (even high speed ones) are cheap!  I have class 10 cards in 8, 16 and 32 gig sizes and I use the size that best fits the project.  I wouldn't dream of having more than one job on a card!  Too hard to find things.

My workflow is:

One job per card.

Archive the complete card structure (appropriately named) first.

Back this up on a separate drive (or NAS)

*Then* reformat the card in the camera

Only after all of that is done, do I start editing.

SD cards are your ONLY archive.  Hard drive space is cheap.  Re-shooting (if it's even possible) is expensive.

• 22. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files

Thats good for some but it the case of the last month or so it wasn't.  Such as filming a commercial and then as we pack up being ask to film something else also for the business next door. No time for dump and i am not gonna say no i dont want the money.

or filming from 8am to 1pm and having a second shoot schedule for 2pm with a 30min commute. no time for dump. We just filmed 15 commercials in 20 days with a crew of 4 and a cast of 18.

I do not have a dump drive. i only have a laptop and a dump would take about 20-30mins. Then i would have to open premier and look at the clips. then rename which would be another 10-15mins. We didnt have time. that laptop only has CS5 on it.

This is a common thing. In a perfect world i would dump named files to an sd fire store of sorts. I have done this plenty of times and in 12years i have only lost 1 set of clips. (even when i was shooting dv.

That was my whole purpose of finding something that allowed me to see the mts clips and rename during dump. The last month has been incrediblely busy. I do not feel comfortable dumping 0001.mts without renaming on the spot. Its much more risky than leaving the footage on the card.

• 23. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files
                                                      Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

Buy more cards.  Number them (you can write on them with a Sharpie).  As you use them, keep them in named envelopes in the camera case. We use those little brown envelopes for office keys and treat them like inter-office envelopes. We write the number of the card and the name of the shoot next to it (also "card 2 of 3" if it's a multicam).  Once the card is dumped and copied we put the cards in a **totally different looking envelope** that clearly says "SD cards to be erased" and cross the name off the envelope.

I work with students and they sometimes do three or four, multicam shoots over the weekend.  When I come in on Monday morning I'm greeted with a "to be downloaded" box with all the envelopes in it waiting to be archived. 

I would never in a million years re-name any .mts files (or any digital video files, for that matter).  I know a lot of people don't follow this rule but I drill it into my students.  It's one less thing to worry about.

• 24. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files
                                                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I have not used it for video yet, but it is partially why I bought a relatively inexpensive travel laptop. I bought it just the right size to fit into my new camera bag. It has a card reader. As far as I can tell, using two cards, I can transfer from the card to the laptop at about the same speed as I fill up the second card. Then, with a third card I can guarantee less stress to get it backed up in a hurry.

I purchased fast 64G cards for US$50 each at Fry's while I was waiting for my new camera to arrive.

Then, when the shooting is done, the laptop backs up to an external drive and I now have two copies of my videos. One to transfer to the big editing PC and one just because I am paranoid. Remember, just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not really out to get you!

• 25. Re: most efficient way to browse MTS files

I have 10 cards also that are all 16 and 32 class10's (4x 16g and 6x 32g). They were all used over those jobs.

We were filming from on average from 8a-11p on those days. I was just too tired to dump on a few days.

One job took 2x 32's up and on average each job was 14gig. The solid state sd's are a safe and are no as surceptable to corruption as my raids. Each of my cards are named after cars so i keep a paper log of what is on them. So i may have Joe's Body Shop on the 16g audi card and when i am done with the shoot i log it as;

Joe's Body Shop - May 7-13 / AUDI / 22mins free

A&B Beverage (Cam1)- May 10-13 / Mazda / 34mins free

A&B Beverage (Cam2) - May 10-13 / BMW / 28mins free

.... and so on.

If i run out of cards i go back to to that free space if any thing runs over. Now, this does not happen often but these clients seem to drop out of the sky all at the same time. I have always logged my shoots in this way even when i do not expect to have 2 jobs on one card.

Is it the best way? NO

Is it sometimes neccessary? Absolutely.

I was with a 30year veteran DP in the Philipines for 1month out in the middle of nowhere. When we ran low in the Tanay area this is what he did. Thats where i got this idea from. We were shooting with HMC150's.

Again i do not think that this is ideal but in this case it was neccessary.

Yes. I bought 5 more ScanDisk Extreme 32gig cards tueday.