9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2013 11:51 PM by MaryKnoxville

Yet another thread on Hard Drive setups (sorry!) and file management

Magic81587 Level 1

Hey all,

So I have done some reading on the forums on the subject of hard drive setups with Premiere Pro projects, and have found some great information out there so far. However, I was hoping to get some advice on my specific situation. I apologize for cluttering the forums with yet another post on hard drive setups. I also apologize for the incoming long post!

Some basic info on my situation.

I'm using both PPro and AE CS6 on Windows 7, 64 bit. I am considering upgrading to Windows 8 at some point though if that is recommended. I'm only working with AVCHD footage right now, but will hopefully take on higher end formats in the future. I also currently use an external sound recorder so I have separate audio files.

Breaking the parts down, it looks like the main components I'm dealing with are:

OS, Programs, Windows Pagefile, Projects, Cache/Scratch/Previews, Media, Exports, and Backup

Based on what I do now and reading through some posts, I've come up with the below minimum disk setup. I would appreciate any and all feedback (on both the hard drive setup and my file management!).

OS, Programs, Windows Pagefile

128GB SSD  - Samsung 840 Pro or similar

Projects and Media

Unknown HDD (Any suggestions? Maybe something I can RAID in the future?)
      Right now my folder organization is like this:

[Project Folder]
           00_Project Files
           01_Video
                Day 1 Shoot
                     [Private] - This is the fully copied over folder from the SD card in the camera
                Day 2 Shoot
                     [Private] - This is the fully copied over folder from the SD card in the camera
           02_Audio
                Day 1 Shoot
                Day 2 Shoot
                Sound Effects
                Music
           03_Graphics
           04_Outputs
           05_Documents

Cache/Scratch/Previews/Exports

WD Caviar Black 1TB - This is a 3 year old hard drive that I already own. Would this be a good place to use it? Have the Caviar Blacks changed at all in the last few years?
      Would exporting to the drive with Cache/Scratch/Previews be slow? My hope was that this would be faster than exporting to the Projects and Media drive, and there wouldn't be any room on the OS and Programs drive to export there. I would then later copy the final finished render back into the [Project Folder] on the Projects and Media drive just for good housekeeping.

Backup

Seagate Backup Plus - 1TB (USB 3.0)
      I routinely run a backup of all the projects I'm working on to this external. (I just mirror the entire [Project Folder] of every project I'm working on to this hard drive after each editing session).

I am not necessarily against adding more hard drives to this setup, but I would be looking for two things:

1. I don't over complicate the "housekeeping" needed for project folders and backing things up.
      2. I am seeing a decent to significant increase in performance for the cost. I am not yet in the situation on having strict client deadlines to meet (I mostly just do personal projects or videos for friends/family, but my hope is to one day get there).

So looking to expand, what is the next step I should take if I can add one more hard drive? This is where I start to see diverging opinions on the forum. Below are a few I've either seen or thought of myself:

- Separate the Projects and Media onto two drives.
      - Separate Scratch (this is what people mean by preview files, correct?) and Exports from the Cache.
      - Run a RAID 0 for the Projects and Media for a performance increase.

Which would give me the best increased performance if I could only do one? I've also never touched RAID, so I'd have to do some more digging on that. I'd rather not take that option if it involves buying RAID controllers. Would a two drive RAID 0 work in either Windows 7 or 8 with no extra hardware needed?

I think that's all for now! I appreciate any feedback you can give me!

- Dan

• 1. Re: Yet another thread on Hard Drive setups (sorry!) and file management
          JEShort01 Level 4

Premiere Pro and AE do best with a balanced system. So before I would comment on where you could best get an incremental gain, I'd have to know the rest of your component list (cpu, gpu, RAM, power supply, case, motherboard, etc.)?

Regarding project organization, I'm sure many here will have various opinions, but here's my preference ignoring which drive or drives to put each on:

- <Project name> YYYYMMDD_Name; under project: project, media (under media: audio, video, music), Cover artwork, ; in your case day 1, 2, etc could go under respective audio / video folders

- adobe_scratch (separate from project, don't need to back up )

- adobe_cache (separate from project, don't need to back up)

- adobe_exports (separate from project, don't need to back up)

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: Yet another thread on Hard Drive setups (sorry!) and file management
            Magic81587 Level 1

Hey Jim!

My plan is to build a new system this august that would use the same hard drive setup, so it'll make more sense to plan for that.

My plan was to have:

Intel 4770k (haswell, C2 stepping)

Unknown MoBo (around $180)

32GB of RAM (gonna cost a boatload at the rate their prices are rising)

Nvidia GTX 760Ti

Unknown 750W, modular, gold rated power supply

Fractal R4 case (already have this)

Thanks for the info on your file management as well!

- Dan

• 3. Re: Yet another thread on Hard Drive setups (sorry!) and file management
              JEShort01 Level 4

Dan,

Thanks for that. I see, you will be building a very nice system!

To your specific question -- what to do if add one drive (to 128GB 840 Pro and an older 1TB WD Black) -- I would answer get a new generation 2 or 3TB 7200 drive. I'm not going to recommend a particular brand, but would comment that Seagate seems to be doing some good things lately. Check out NewEgg reviews for your short list of drives before you purchase to make sure you don't buy a "lemon"; some drive designs simply do not seem to be as reliable as others.

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Yet another thread on Hard Drive setups (sorry!) and file management
                Magic81587 Level 1

Just an update on my situation. I jumped on some recent storage drive deals and am now consider the below options. Which would give me the best performance? Or is there a better scenario I'm missing? And how would you handle the exports in each scenario?

C: OS/Programs/Pagefile   --  128GB Samsung 840 Pro (New)

D: Projects                      --  1TB Seagate 7200.14 (New)

E: Media                          --  3TB Seagate 7200.14 (New)

F: Media Cache / Scratch  --  1TB Seagate 7200.14 (New)

G: Backup                       --  1TB Seagate Backup Plus External

Exports?

D: Projects and Media       --  3TB Seagate 7200.14 (New)

E: Media Cache / Scratch  --  RAID 0, 2 x 1TB Seagate 7200.14 (New)

F: Backup                       --  1TB Seagate Backup Plus External

Exports?

D: Projects and Media       --  3TB Seagate 7200.14 (New)

E: Media Cache                --  1TB Seagate 7200.14 (New)

F: Scratch                       --  1TB Seagate 7200.14 (New)

G: Backup                       --  1TB Seagate Backup Plus External

Exports?

I'm still a little confused on exports. Are you guys referring to just the final rendered video? I've seen some posts about giving exports it's own drive. Isn't that kind of wasteful? My final render will be copied back into the folders containing my projects and/or media anyways for good housekeeping. Is the desire that you export to a drive different from the Media drive to help spread reads and writes or something? Or would exporting to any 7200rpm drive with ample space be fine? Are you you all referring to something else when you say "exports"?

Thanks for the info and help so far!

• 5. Re: Yet another thread on Hard Drive setups (sorry!) and file management
                  Magic81587 Level 1

Sorry to bump my own thread, but I was hoping to get some insight on my previous post!

I think at this point I'm just looking for clarification on where exports would best go, as well as which setup I listed would work best.

Thanks again for all the help so far!

• 6. Re: Yet another thread on Hard Drive setups (sorry!) and file management
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Your second option appeals the most to me, because responsiveness during editing and using the media cache and renders are on the fastest disk/raid0, giving the best performance.

Exports? Well, how many hours do you spend editing an average project, one week, longer? How big are your average exports, 25 GB or smaller? Let's say they are on average 25 GB. That is equal to one fully filled BDR. That takes less than 5 minutes to write on a single disk. How does that compare to the week or more spent on editing. Writing the same 25 GB to the raid0 would take less than 3 minutes, so you gain 2 whole minutes. But you run the risk of losing your precious export file. For what? A lousy two minutes gain. The transcoding time will be vastly longer, maybe one hour if you are lucky.

I would keep it simple, and put them on a single disk that has room to spare. That is what I do, despite having a blindingly fast raid array with 3.4+ GB/s and 18 TB space. I export to a slow 150 MB/s single disk.

• 7. Re: Yet another thread on Hard Drive setups (sorry!) and file management
                      Magic81587 Level 1

Harm, I appreciate the feedback! I agree with you on exports. For something that is done once per project, I can see the value in just keeping it simple and sending it to a single disk that has room.

I think I will take your advice and go with the second option. I suppose once I have all the disks installed (and if I get curious), I could always try the other options and see if I can feel a difference.

Just to clarify,  my plan was to run the RAID 0 through the onboard RAID controller. Does your answer still stand with that in mind? Or were you assuming I was going to be using a separate RAID controller card for it to be worthwhile?

Thanks for the help!

• 8. Re: Yet another thread on Hard Drive setups (sorry!) and file management
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

For raid0 using the on-board connections, whether Intel or Marvell based or even Windwos software based does not make a significant difference in performance over a dedicated raid controller. That is because there is no parity to calculate in a raid0. Anyway, even if you want raid0 on a 1155 platform, it is better to use on-board capabilities, because of the limited PCIe lanes and a dedicated raid controller would cause the video card performance to drop by 10 - 15%.

• 9. Re: Yet another thread on Hard Drive setups (sorry!) and file management
                          MaryKnoxville

What are the updated version of raid? I am just curious to know more about it's immense security and management too..

I am also going through the functions of Google drive management which is quite resemble with raid controller..