8 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2013 11:48 AM by the_wine_snob

Two of me

standaloneghost

Currently working on a project in PP CS6 in which I hold a conversation with myself. Which tools would I use to fade specific portions of the screen to give the illusion that there are two of me?

• 1. Re: Two of me
          SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Assuming you locked down the camera and camera settings, and taped yourself twice, sitting on left and sitting on right, very simple - use the CROP tool.

Just put one video clip above the other and apply CROP to the top one, to reveal your other self. If the lighting did not change and camera was not touched, should be seamless.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 2. Re: Two of me
            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

SAFEHARBOR11 wrote:

Assuming you locked down the camera and camera settings, and taped yourself twice, sitting on left and sitting on right, very simple - use the CROP tool.

To avoid confusion, there is no Crop tool, there is only the Crop effect. It's in the Transform category.

• 3. Re: Two of me
              SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Good catch Kevin, thanks. One can also just type "Crop" into the search window in effects

Thanks

Jeff

• 4. Re: Two of me
                Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

I would love it if crop were a tool instead of an effect.  it seems more "tool" like to me.

Am I right that there is no way to feather the edges of a crop?  I tried adding "edge feather" but it feather all edges.  It would be nice to just feather the cropped edge. 

• 5. Re: Two of me
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Allynn Wilkinson wrote:

I would love it if crop were a tool instead of an effect.  it seems more "tool" like to me.

Am I right that there is no way to feather the edges of a crop?  I tried adding "edge feather" but it feather all edges.  It would be nice to just feather the cropped edge. 

You'll want to check out this free plug-in: http://www.creativeimpatience.com/feathered-crop/

Look for feather as an option coming in Premiere Pro CC.

Screen Shot 2013-05-09 at 11.09.55 AM.png

• 6. Re: Two of me
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Assuming you locked down the camera and camera settings

Lock down your lighting as well. Do not use natural light. It changes. It helps to crop or even use a garbage matte, but even if you feather the edges you will be fighting the light. If you have windows in the room where you want to shoot the video, then shoot at night.

• 7. Re: Two of me
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As you cannot feather the crop effect i would go for the track matte effect.

Superimpose both clips in the timeline.

Make a matte (white rectangular) the size of a half frame in the titler.

Drop this in track 3.

Add Fast Blur for feather.

Add Track Matte effect to clip in track 2.

Done.

For easy way out: http://www.creativeimpatience.com/

• 8. Re: Two of me
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Steven,

Good point.

If the camera has been locked down 100%, and the lighting has not changed, or been altered, then a "hard-edged" Crop Effect should not be seen, as the background should match 100%.

Otherwise, Ann's Track Matte Effect, or Kevin's plug-in, will help - but if the background is not a perfect match, and the lighting has changed, the end result might not be all that good.

Hunt