3 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2013 8:44 AM by peter minneapolis

Upgrading from CS3. Should we go straight to CS6, or go to CS5?

Lritter2

I work for a government agency, and we are considering upgrading from CS3 soon. We primarily use InDesign, with occasional uses of Photoshop and very rare uses of Illustrator. We also heavily use Acrobat Pro.

We currently have Acrobat 8.3.0 and InDesign 5.0.4.  We are running Windows 7 on machines with 4 GB RAM and a 32-BIT Operating System.

We use InDesign to create forms. There are occasional graphics, but not many. We also use color very rarely. We use paragraph styles heavily, but not object styles.

My question is, should we upgrade from CS3, all the way to CS6?  Our main concern is that our thousands of forms make the conversion from one version to the next with as little movement as possible.  The placement of elements on the page is very precise, and changes in the documents needs to be avoided as much as possible.  I realize that some adjustments, especially in text, are going to happen.

We also need to be sure that whatever we upgrade to will still work well with Acrobat. We are hoping that will also get upgraded, but we aren't sure about that at this point.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Would we be better off going to CS5 or CS5.5 now and upgrading to CS6 from there later?

My boss has no interest in going to the Cloud concept.  Continuous updates that could possibly affect form layout is something we want to avoid.

I understand that at this point we can't actually upgrade to CS6, we will have to pay the full price for new licenses. I'm not so clear on whether we will be able to continue to upgrade in the future without going to the cloud concept. I believe you will be able to, but if anyone knows different please let me know.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Upgrading from CS3. Should we go straight to CS6, or go to CS5?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You don't actually have a lot of choices. CS6 is the current version, and that's what's going to be available now and in the future for those not wanting to move to the cloud. No new features will be added to CS6.  Moving files from CS3 to CS6 is at best a crapshoot in my opinion. If you want to do it, I think the best method is to export the files from CS3 as .inx and open those in CS6. There are a few scripts out there that can do batch conversions to make this easier.

• 2. Re: Upgrading from CS3. Should we go straight to CS6, or go to CS5?
            Lritter2 Level 1

Thank you.  That was my own opinion, but I've been asked to look into it.

Is staying in CS3 indefinitely an option, though (to avoid moving the files to CS6)?  I would think the further development of software would eventually make trying to use CS3 with ever advanced verseions of Acrobat really problematic.

• 3. Re: Upgrading from CS3. Should we go straight to CS6, or go to CS5?
              peter minneapolis Level 4

IMO, the real question is "Why would we want to or need to change from InDesign CS3?"

You didn't identify any possible reasons. If InDesign CS3 is a perfect fit for your current needs, the main compelling reasons are that you need to add more users, you need to exchange ID files with workers who are using later InDesign releases, and you can't purchase more CS3 licenses; or you're upgrading to new hardware and a operating system that doesn't support InDesign CS3.

If you just need to obtain more licenses, it's likely if you have many users, your licenses were purchased under an Adobe Volume Licensing Plan (VLP.) I've read postings on this forum that VLP purchasers can buy more licenses for non-current InDesign releases. The idea is that all Adobe has to do is generate new license numbers, not retrieve and provide the older software. For details contact your VLP vendor.

If the issue is needing to be compatible with newer releases, or being able to run on new incompatible equipment, then you need to buy new software or subscriptions at the going price. However, perhaps under VLP, there are attractive purchase options for multiple licenses.

Perhaps someone on the forum can clarify the VLP?

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Lritter2 wrote:

Thank you.  That was my own opinion, but I've been asked to look into it.

Is staying in CS3 indefinitely an option, though (to avoid moving the files to CS6)?  I would think the further development of software would eventually make trying to use CS3 with ever advanced verseions of Acrobat really problematic.