6 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2013 1:34 PM by Stephen_Spider

Need CS6 workflow advice on editing short testimonials

FlashConfused

I need advice on a Premiere CS6 workflow, I'm coming from FCP7.

I have several short clips of customer testimonials. 

Each must be trimmed  at the beginning and end to get 10 seconds of the best part, which means that there may be speech just before the in and out points.

I need to edit them in a manner where I can fade between them without mixing the audio before the in/out points.

If I capture a single frame snapshot of the in/out points, and extend this for 12 frames, I'd be able to transition nicely.

However, that's really a pain.  I'm using NeatVideo, and have to render the clips before I can capture the single frame or it will be pixelated.

And if I need to make a change in length (by customer request), I'm starting from scratch, and it's difficult to drag to get just 12 frames.

I'd tried the 'frame hold' command, but ... it never seems to hold at the out point, only at the in point.

And there doesn't seem to be a way to extend a freeze frame to the left of the in point and also to the right of the out point using 'frame hold' from the instructions I've seen.

Is there a workflow where I can rapidly edit this in CS6?

• 1. Re: Need CS6 workflow advice on editing short testimonials
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The way you're doing it is probably the way I'd do it as well, with one exception.  You can export the frame grab and apply Neat Video to an Adjustment Layer over all the clips at once, instead of to each individual clip.  This saves any rendering for last and let's you work with the plain clips.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need CS6 workflow advice on editing short testimonials
            FlashConfused Level 1

Jim - that's a great idea!

But, what if I could copy and paste the clip back into the timeline twice.  Once for the 12 frame freeze at the beginning, and once for the freeze at the end.

I'd only need to get the 'frame hold' command to work at the out point - which I cannot figure how to accomplish for some reason as it always holds at the 'in' point of the clip no matter which option (in or out) that I choose?

Any idea on why I'm having such a problem?

And is there a simple way to extend a clip by exactly x number of frames (or if I get my idea above working, to quickly set the length to x number of frames)?

• 3. Re: Need CS6 workflow advice on editing short testimonials
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd only need to get the 'frame hold' command to work at the out point

That's one reason why I prefer the frame exports.  They just always work.

• 4. Re: Need CS6 workflow advice on editing short testimonials
                Stephen_Spider Level 3

Am I missing something?  Why is necessary to futz with still frames and what not?

You can set the default audio transition to .1 seconds.

Also, if you are selecting bits from the middle of a statement, key framing the volume would be the easiest way to have more flexibility with your video timing. It really doesn't take long, and can alleviate harsh edits by letting space out the clips a bit.

Pen Tool.

edit...

Also, you can trim the audio track separately by either locking the video track or using the Alt key with the Selection/Trim tool on the timeline.

• 5. Re: Need CS6 workflow advice on editing short testimonials
                  FlashConfused Level 1

Well, the easiest way I came up with is this, but it has a few hitches.

1. Copy and paste the clip for the start.

2. Set in point hold, set duration to 12 frames

3. This is the front freeze frame.

4. Unlink it, and then disable sound.

5. Copy and past the clip for the end freeze frame.

6. Set out point hold.

7. Cannot set duration to 12 frames as this changes the out point so, drag from the left to change the duration to 12 frames (would be nice to just set duration.  I even tried reverseing and using the in point, but when reversed, it doesn't swith end/out as far as hold is concerned).

8. Unlink it, disable sound.

9.  *** problem  - If I do this for two different clips and then but the 12 frame copy clips together, I cannot apply a 'dip to black'?

I can ONLY do this if I created a subClip instead of a copy of the clip.

Is there a way around this?  A bit of a pain, and messy in the project tab with all the extra subClips created?

BTW - I do it like this as sometimes I'm cutting on a single word, and a freeze frame of their faces seems to transition better than talking without sound.  And I don't want the actual words spoken to occur when the transition is happening.

• 6. Re: Need CS6 workflow advice on editing short testimonials
                    Stephen_Spider Level 3

Okay..... The freeze frame is your preference, but I would offer that it likely isn't adding to your testimonial video. So advice to help...

You don't need to unlink your video to trim the timing of A/V separately, just hold down the alt key when trimming on the timeline with the selection tool.

Extend the video past the audio with enough length for your transition. Razor cut the extended video portion at the end of the clip, right where you want the freeze frame. You should end up with a "video only" clip butted at the end of the meat of your testimonial. Right click on the extended clip to bring up the menu, choose Frame Hold. The default option will be "on 1st frame", that'll work for you. The clip is now essentially a still.

You can nest it if you want, but it seems unnecessary to me.

Good luck.