12 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2013 10:40 AM by the_wine_snob

Motion menu help

pizzakid13

has anybody figuyred out how to fix the 4:29 limit on the menu? i've searched and found topics that had no resolution going back to PE9.

• 1. Re: Motion menu help
          A.T. Romano Level 7

pizzakid13

I suspect that you were referring to the 2012 thread here on the subject:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4788565

As far as I can see first hand with my Premiere Elements 11 Windows, nothing has changed in this regard with the menu limitations for:

motion menu duration max 4 second 29 frames

audio for menu max about 30 seconds.

Apparently a 2013 "ditto" needs to be given for that 2012 thread conclusions on Premiere Elements in this regard.

ATR

• 2. Re: Motion menu help
            pizzakid13 Level 1

so i guess adobe doesnt care about this?

• 3. Re: Motion menu help
              A.T. Romano Level 7

pizzakid13

It is my recollection that some other software out there has similar restrictions.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/17162-how-to-create-a-custom-menu-longer-than-30sec/

Just one example.

I am not sure of the whys behind these restrictions, whether part of the DVD-VIDEO standard or other.

Adobe does have an Adobe Feature Request Bug Form that you could use to remind Adobe of your wants regarding what is.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Bill Hunt who is a VIP is these forums seems to recommend highly this form filing in situations similar to what you are presenting. As I understand it, you will not get an individual reply from Adobe.

ATR

• 4. Re: Motion menu help
                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

You are correct in that Adobe Feature Requests and Bug Reports seldom yield a direct contact from Adobe, unless additional information, or clarification is required.

Also, for some time now, Premiere Elements has been grouped under the Photoshop Family, for Feature Requests, where it was once a separate form, deliniated by the various actual applications, i.e. no "family" grouping.

The ~ 30 sec limitation has been around for some time now, and I have never seen a direct response as to "why" that limitation is implemented. In Adobe Encore (the full-featured authoring app, now available WITH PrPro), there is no such limit, and one can set the Menu Motion Duration to match the Duration of say the Motion Asset, whether Video, or Audio. There might be a limitation in Duration, but I have never encountered it in Encore. However, I seldom work with a Duration of more than about 2 mins., so probably have just never hit it?

I feel that my Motion Menus only need to play a limited Duration, as the user is very likely to make a Menu selection, by about the 2 min. time frame. If I want the user to experience a longer Duration, I will create what appears to be a Menu, but is really just a separate Video, with no interactivity. If, for instance, I want the viewer to watch an entire Video, before making a selection, or listen to an entire music piece, I would not give them the opportunity to click away - though it might "look" like they are on an active Menu. I seldom do this, however, as I want the user to have full control to navigate, as they desire.

Good luck, and maybe someone from Adobe can comment on the decision to limit the Duration of a Motion Menu to only ~ 30 sec.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Motion menu help
                  pizzakid13 Level 1

yeah, it used to be 30 secs on PE2 which is the last version i used. i really hate the way they don't give you a manual anymore.

• 6. Re: Motion menu help
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the manual has gone the way of the dodo. Fortunately, our MOD, Steve Griestti, has been writing the Muvipix PrE books, that are better than the old manuals ever were.

I am still curious as to why PrE limits the Duration to 30 sec., but I am sure that there is a good reason to do so.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Motion menu help
                      pizzakid13 Level 1

its not 30, its 4 1/2 for the motion menus.

the music is still 30 secs which i always thought was pretty weak also. but i learned to live with it.

• 8. Re: Motion menu help
                        pizzakid13 Level 1

that link seems to take me to another discussion board. is there a button to the features/comments area?

• 9. Re: Motion menu help
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

pizzakid13

Saw your question. Hunt is the big fan of that Adobe Feature Request Bug Form which appears to have gone some modifications in recent times.

Have you found the page

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

where it has headers for Share an Idea and Report a Problem.

I suspect that is the area to target now.

In the past, when Adobe was getting ready for the next version, it typically put up a Beta Testers Search notice in Premiere Elements forums. If they do that again this time around, that might be something to get involved in to make your feelings known on the feature set and other for Premiere Elements.

Just speculation on my side.

ATR

• 10. Re: Motion menu help
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

You are correct. Adobe made some changes, regarding the Feature Request/Bug Reporting Web site. PrE is now part of the "Photoshop Family," as per your link. It is not all that intuitive, at least to many.

Once, it was a separate form, with little, to zero confusion.

Thanks for posting that link,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Motion menu help
                              pizzakid13 Level 1

i cant sign in. it tells me that you cant create a new acct anymore.

• 12. Re: Motion menu help
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I would post to the Forum Comments Forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments with the info (exclude your PW), on your other account. John C., Adobe-Admin, is very good at sorting out Adobe Forum log-in issues.

Good luck,

Hunt