2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 11:48 AM by mmeltzer

Indesign Loses Text Gradient After Export To PDF > SWF

Franklinsdictionary

I have some Indesign files from a client and everytime I export from indesign to pdf and then convert to a swf, it removes the text gradient and adds black instead. Images attached for reference.

Screen shot 2013-05-09 at 12.52.24 PM.png <---PDF

Screen shot 2013-05-09 at 1.01.13 PM.png <---SWF

I've tried numerous export options. Is there something in particular that I'm supposed to be flattening?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Indesign Loses Text Gradient After Export To PDF > SWF
          DesPro_7 Level 1

I would try to convert the gradient text to outlines first. Then export as you've been doing. See if that helps. Keep your original text on your pasteboard in case you have to make changes later.

I don't know how well versed you are (or aren't) in InDesign, but you can convert your text to outlines by selecting the text box, then going under Type/Create Outlines.

That basically turns your text into an image--that's why it's important to keep your original text box on your pasteboard, cuz once you convert to outlines, you can't go back. Lots of funky things can happen to text outside of indesign, that's why converting to outlines first might help.

Good Luck!

• 2. Re: Indesign Loses Text Gradient After Export To PDF > SWF
            mmeltzer Level 1

Hi DesPro_7, Thank you! Your answer was very helpful, and it seems to solve one of my problems, which is the same as what Franklinsdictionary describes.

I have a design using gradients in text, including a gradient effect on a rule below, used as a banner behind my text. I'm losing the gradient when the PDF is converted to SWF, and while we're working on a way to export to SWF directly from InDesign, our current workflow is cropping and optimizing a printer PDF to convert to SWF.

Before InDesign CS5, we had little trouble with transparencies, but this became an issue on our projects using CS5 or above.

Part of the optimizing process includes flattening transparencies, but text with gradients doesn't seem to flatten, nor do my banners created using rule below behind the text.

Any idea why this seems to be an issue with text? Any insight might help!