7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2007 7:30 PM by Newsgroup_User

Smoothing text

craigadadad
      I created a simple logo for my company, which has text on a colored background square. The text is pixelated, even after anti-aliasing. Can anyone suggest help? Should I use another program, or is there a way to make the text appear smooth in Fireworks or Dreamweaver?

Thanks,
        • 1. Re: Smoothing text
          Level 7
          It would help enormously if you could post the image on the web somewhere,
          so we could see the problem.

Peter
          colored
          | background square. The text is pixelated, evan after anti-aliasing. Can
          | anyone suggest help? Should I use another program, or is there a way to
          make
          | the text appear smooth in Fireworks or Dreamweaver?
          |
          | Thanks,
          |

• 2. Re: Smoothing text
            craigadadad Level 1
            if you go to my website at www.mpam.bz you can see my logo
            • 3. Re: Smoothing text
              pixlor Level 4
              For better anti-aliasing, make your logo two or four times as big as that, then reduce by 50% or 25%, respectively.

Also, export the image as .gif rather than .jpg. If you look closely inside your white letters, you'll see off-color pixels. This noise is due to the JPEG compression scheme. For the number of colors you'll have in your image, .gif will be fine and your colors will be crisp and clear.
              • 4. Re: Smoothing text
                craigadadad Level 1
                do you mean reduce it after export? If so, in which program - Dreamweaver?

Thanks,
                • 5. Re: Smoothing text
                  craigadadad Level 1
                  I tried using a gif with several color settings, and then exported it large, and reduced the size inside Dreamweaver, from around 313 to 140, but it looks worse. Is there a better program i could use to create the logo, which would make it sharper?
                  • 6. Re: Smoothing text
                    pixlor Level 4
                    No, don't use Dreamweaver. Setting an image's height and width attributes smaller than the actual image, tells the browser to scale an image...and browsers do a rotten job of that. If you have a browser display an image at 50%, it doesn't do any smoothing, it just leaves out pixels. *twitches*

In Fireworks, make the image at 2 or 4 times the final size you want. SAVE this large file as a Fireworks .png. Then, EXPORT this large image as a .gif, psd, or even a .bmp. Open this large bitmap in Fireworks. Use Modify>Transform>Numeric Transform and Scale the image by 50% or 25%, as appropriate. Now, EXPORT this resulting image as a .gif for use on your Web site. It won't look the same as if you made the font that size, it should look better.
                    • 7. Re: Smoothing text
                      Level 7
                      craigadadad wrote:
                      > do you mean reduce it after export? If so, in which program - Dreamweaver?

No. Do it in Fireworks. Rasterize it by choosing Modify > Flatten
                      Selection, and then rescale it to the size you like.

Linda R.
                      -