0 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2013 11:42 AM by Roger_47B

Chrome 26 and Flash Pepper not Playing Nice Together

Roger_47B

For my Chrome 26 instalation:  Any web page heavily using Adobe Flash slows down my computer and causes my curser to even freeze for one second then returns to normal. (even freezes outside of chrome window)(and my mouse LED blinks once) I have already checked “About:Plugins” and determined that I am running only one version of Flash. I went to Adobe to check my flash player install and noticed that Pepper flash miss identifies my OS as being Win 7 (32 bit) when I am running Win 7 (64 bit). I am not sure if this is a symptom of the problem or just a coincidence. I have spent about 8 hours reinstalling chrome and verifying that everything else works properly. This is on a machine with a clean insatll of Win 7 and all other software seemes to be working fine. My IE9 with Active X flash identifies my system as (64 bit) and works fine on sites with heavy flash use. So this is only a chrome Issue.

I researched the web a lot and did not find any help for this specific problem. In frustration I uninstalled Chrome 26 and cleaned up my Flash Caches, then I installed Chrome 19 (Flash Pepper not imbedded) and Flash no longer slowed my machine down.  I went to Adobe to check my flash player install and is said I was running Win 7 (64 bit). I think this is the problem so I did another test.

Chrome 21 installed both the external version of flash and the internal version of flash. Using only one version at a time (disabling the other) See attachment “about: plugins” I went to adobe and checked my OS using Pepper it identified my OS as 32 bit and the flash problem was present, I then switched to the external version of Flash and Adobe  properly identified my 64 bit OS and the problem went away.  “See attachment screen captures of both versions of Flash Player”.

About Plugins for 21_0_1180_89.gif

21_0_1180_89 Internal version of flash.gif

21_0_1180_89 External version of flash.gif

Can someone explain why Pepper Flash does not install properly, or why it slows my machine down to a crawl when IE9 doesnt?

My System Information

OS Name          Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Version          6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Other OS Description           Not Available

OS Manufacturer          Microsoft Corporation

System Name          COMPUTER-TWO

System Manufacturer          Hewlett-Packard

System Model          HP Z200 Workstation

System Type          x64-based PC

Processor          Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU         530  @ 2.93GHz, 2933 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date          Hewlett-Packard 786H3 v01.16, 11/29/2011

SMBIOS Version          2.6

Windows Directory          C:\Windows

System Directory          C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device          \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale          United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer          Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

User Name          Computer-Two\Robert

Time Zone          Eastern Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)          6.00 GB

Total Physical Memory          5.87 GB

Available Physical Memory          4.36 GB