6 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2013 2:12 PM by SeiberlichNow

Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk Regular pastes as Medium from another InDesign document

SeiberlichNow

I have a paragraph style set up using Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk Regular, no overrides+ applied, no other character styles used. Yet when I paste into a new document with no prior character or paragraph styles, the font defults to Medium with a paragraph style overide+. Why is this happening? Every other font and paragraph style copies over just fine. I am using InDesign 5.

• 1. Re: Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk Regular pastes as Medium from another InDesign document
          DesPro_7 Level 1

Not sure why it's happening. My first guess would be that it's conflicting with a style in your new document, but you've already stated the new document has no existing styles. My second guess would be that the style you have set up for Regular is based on another style, and if you're making a change to the style that it's based on, then that would affect the current Regular style as well--but then again, that wouldn't create an override.

All in all, you can resolve this by selecting the text box, hitting the option key and at the same time, click on the style in your paragraph styles box to clear the override. That should return it to normal. Still doesn't tell us WHY it happened, but it doesn't really matter at this point, you've gotten rid of the override.

• 2. Re: Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk Regular pastes as Medium from another InDesign document
            SeiberlichNow Level 1

Thank you for your reply DesPro_7. I hadn't checked into the Based On style. I tried switching that to Basic Paragraph or No Paragraph Style with no luck. Still pastes in as Medium with an override+. I know I can click option to remove any overrides, but the problem with this is it also removes any italics if the paragraph has any. I'd really love if anyone else had this happen and knew how to fix it without clearing the overrides?

• 3. Re: Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk Regular pastes as Medium from another InDesign document
              DesPro_7 Level 1

Hmm...yea, I'd be intereseted in knowing why it's happening in this case. But I might have another fix. You can set your italics to be a Character Style instead, that way, even if you change (or clear) the overrides in the paragraph style, the italics remain.

• 4. Re: Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk Regular pastes as Medium from another InDesign document
                SeiberlichNow Level 1

That is a good idea as a work around until I can figure this out.  I'm going to change my initial question a little. I've tried changing the font to different fonts, not just Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk Regular, and they all seem to default to Medium when copied into a new document. Even if the font family doesn't have a medium style. Its doing this for all paragraph styles that use Regular as the set font. Fortunately our main body font is a medium, so this only happens through a fraction of the book design. But still frustrating.

• 5. Re: Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk Regular pastes as Medium from another InDesign document
                  DesPro_7 Level 1

I actually set up a document using Berthold Regular as a paragraph style then copied and pasted into a new one, and it went over just fine, with no problems.

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps some font issue with your font management program. Go to your original document and select a text box that has the Berthold Regular style. Now with that text box selected, look at your character palette. Under the font name, where it says "regular", are there brackets around "regular"? If so, this indicates that even though you set it to regular, regular is not actually activated on your computer--which might make sense with why it's changing in a new document--cuz technically, you're "attaching" something to it, that doesn't "exist" (since it's not active). ...but if there are no brackets, then you should be all set.

Please post a solution if you find one. This would be good to know for the future.

• 6. Re: Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk Regular pastes as Medium from another InDesign document
                    SeiberlichNow Level 1

There are no brackets around Regular, though sometimes in the pasted version there are brackets around Medium. I think if upgrading to CS6 doesn't fix this, I'm going to re-do my paragraph styles. Maybe something went haywire with our previous CS5 upgrade. Ill post if I do find a solution, even if it was just re-doing my styles. Thanks for all your help.