6 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2013 9:52 AM by A.T. Romano

When I type I cannot add text when I select the text area and double click. Why?

JOANNE MURRAY J2

When I type I cannot add text when I select the text area and double click. Why?

• 1. Re: When I type I cannot add text when I select the text area and double click. Why?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Joanne Murray J2

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what operating system (including 32 or 64 bit) is your Premiere Elements installed?

Forgive the questions if you have been there and done that, but I do not want to take anything for granted that might hinder a speedy resolution to your issue.

Are you opening an already created title that is sitting on the Timeline in order to edit it in the Titler or are you trying to create a new Title (Default Text or other)? Do you know how to work with the Selection Tool and Type Tool in the Titler?

Once I know what version of Premiere Elements that you are using, I will give you specific how to details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: When I type I cannot add text when I select the text area and double click. Why?
            JOANNE MURRAY J2 Level 1

Premiere Elements 11  trial version for macMac computer photos uploaded to the timeline just finetrying to make a new title, streaming or in a framedouble clicked on the text in the box and nothing shows up when I type on my keyboard. I can delete the words that are there but not type in new ones. I selected the type and size, etc.

Thanks if you can figure it out. I gave up!

I may just un-install it all together if I can't get to work.Joanne

Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 17:59:08 -0700

To: murraysj2@msn.com

Subject: When I type I cannot add text when I select the text area and double click. Why?

Re: When I type I cannot add text when I select the text area and double click. Why?

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Joanne Murray J2 What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what operating system (including 32 or 64 bit) is your Premiere Elements installed? Forgive the questions if you have been there and done that, but I do not want to take anything for granted that might hinder a speedy resolution to your issue. Are you opening an already created title that is sitting on the Timeline in order to edit it in the Titler or are you trying to create a new Title (Default Text or other)? Do you know how to work with the Selection Tool and Type Tool in the Titler? Once I know what version of Premiere Elements that you are using, I will give you specific how to details. Thanks. ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5307494#5307494

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5307494#5307494

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5307494#5307494. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 3. Re: When I type I cannot add text when I select the text area and double click. Why?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

With a Text Object (everything that one sees in a Title is an Object, whether its a Text Object, a Shape Object, a Logo Object, etc.), you can use the Selection Tool (arrow), to Select that Object. Then, it can be Deleted, Moved, Scaled, etc., and to alter the Text within that Text Object, just click within it with the Text Tool. You can also click+drag with the Text Tool, to affect all, or just part (even so small as one character in the Text Object), and alter the Text Object, as is required.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: When I type I cannot add text when I select the text area and double click. Why?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

JOANNE MURRAY

I do not want to take anything for granted so please check out my introduction if necessary. If not necessary, then please skip to one of the routines for creating a title for your photo.

Introduction

There are a few approaches for creating a default title for your photo (photo Video 1) and title (title automatically placed on Video 2 above).

You need to get to the Premiere Element 11 Titler via

(a) Text Menu/New Text/Default Text followed by the Titler opening with its sections for Type, Style, Automation, and Shapes

or

(b) Titles & Text Tab at bottom of interface, followed by selecting General/Default Text. Here, with your mouse cursor, you drag from the Default Text thumbnail on to the Timeline or Monitor. The Titler opens.

Using (b)….

One Suggestion

1.Your title will be automatically placed wherever you have the Timeline Indicator (Expert view) placed. So, with Timeline Indicator where you want it and the Titler opened…

(a) You will probably see Add Text surrounded by a rectangular looking border, with a blinking vertical cursor on its left edge. In the Adjustments Palette for the Titler (right of interface), note Mode is the horizontal type tool.

(b) At this point, you could hit the Delete key of the computer main keyboard multiple times to delete Add Text and then start typing at the blinking vertical cursor that remains or you  could switch Mode from the type tool to the selection tool, click the Add Text on the screen, hit the Delete key once, switch mode from selection tool to type tool, click on the screen where you want the text to appear, and type.

(c) Hit the Adjust Tab to finish with the Titler. If you want to re-edit the title after you have closed the Titler, double click the title file on the Timeline.

There are various maneuvers to utilize with the type tool, selection tool, et al. One for example is replacing text in the title, with the type tool selected, on screen, for the whole text line, click the right vertical edge of the box that surrounds the text and drag over it right to left, creating a gray haze over the text within the box. Then type.  For replacement of part of the type line, same principle, only start by placing the cursor at the point for correction rather than at either end of the box.

Have you seen Adobe's write up on this?

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS020935FC-7A12-48f2-8884-F8DC2D7E6985. html

Please review the above and then let us know if we have targeted your question. If you need clarification on anything that I have written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: When I type I cannot add text when I select the text area and double click. Why?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This article covers a lot of the power of Titler, and also has some links to Adobe TV tutorials, that might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1131177?tstart=0

Those Adobe TV tutorials are mostly for Adobe PrPro, but as the Titler is very similar in PrPro and PrE, the general concepts apply directly. The Titler workspace will look a bit different between PrE 11 (major change in the Titler GUI layout), and PrPro CS 6, but again, the functions are almost identical.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: When I type I cannot add text when I select the text area and double click. Why?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

JOANNE MURRAY 12

Just an additional note...

The steps that I detailed in my post #4 of your thread were written as I went through (retraced) the steps on my Premiere Elements 11 Windows for titling. You should be getting the same results with Premiere Elements 11 Mac.

It will be very helpful in pin pointing the source of your problem if you go through the steps word for word and then let me know where you reach an impasse if at all.

Thank you.

ATR