5 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2013 7:44 AM by Rick Gerard

Wipe Effect w/ closed shape

eric_james Level 1

I have a stroked shape that I want to reveal with a simple wipe effect or wipe animation. But the default Wipe effect isn't quite what I want.

When I apply the standard Linear Wipe (Effects > Transition > Linear Wipe), the shape is revealed with the leading edge unstroked (the standard behavior for this effect).

I am desperately trying to figure out how to do this type of wipe, but with the shape "closed" throughout the progress of the wipe.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

I'm not necessarily looking for an easy way to do this: if you can think of a hard way, I'd like to hear it too.

Thanks!!!!

• 1. Re: Wipe Effect w/ closed shape
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

And in English? Sorry, but I just don't get what you are trying to describe. Screenshot perhaps? Or do you simply mean you want to ahve a "glint" edge? That would simply be done using a solid on top or below the other with the same wipe, just slightly offset timing.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Wipe Effect w/ closed shape
            eric_james Level 1

Here's a screenshot in the middle of the wipe I'm trying to achieve. The word here is "Cincinnati".

o2.png

I guess you could call it a "glint" edge. And now that I think about it... per your suggestion: if I put a fill wipe underneath it and slightly offset it... I'll bet that would would do the trick.

I've also seen that a "beam effect" might work, but I'm not sure how to set one up.

• 3. Re: Wipe Effect w/ closed shape
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I see. Wiping letters is tricky, though. Most people would draw the "inner paths" and use a stroke that references the mask/ shape layer paths and then the wiped layer would be used as a matte for the otehr layer. That would also allow to produce a trailing edge that is perpendicular to the wipe at all times using the temporal offset I already mentioned...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Wipe Effect w/ closed shape
                eric_james Level 1

I'm not sure I fully understand the process you've outlined, but you're right about the trailing edge being part of the effect. And I want to keep the inside of the stroked letters transparent.

I'm going to experiment and see if I can figure it out. Thanks!

• 5. Re: Wipe Effect w/ closed shape
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are using stroke to reveal the inside of the layers then the easiest thing to do is use three copies of your text. Two that are stroke only and one that's fill only. Put one of the fill layers above the stroke layer and use that as a track matte to get a stroke copy. Then you use the bottom layer and a solid with stroke applied to mask paths as a track matte to reveal the fill layer.

Using stroke to reveal text is a very simple procedure. Depending on the complexity of the font it may or may not require additional masking to work properly.