12 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2013 9:36 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Time Lapse

Tallyberto

Hi All,

Wondering if you can help.

I am completely new to the Adobe Suite so very much a learning curve!

I am trying to create a timelapse video, however, having a few issues with the 'speed'

I currently have 6,666 individual images and I would like to make the viewing time around 3 mintues, this is where I am getting a bit stuck, I cannot seem to change the time that each image is displayed, currently defaulting at 5 seconds PER image!

The video is am creating is of a vehicle wrap across two days, hence the amount of images.

I took the photos using a GoProHero3 and took a picture every 10seconds.

I am on Windows8 and Using Adobe Premier Pro 6.0.3

Hopefully its a simply issue

Many Thanks,

Bryn

• 1. Re: Time Lapse
          pmirt

I would do this.
          The estimated length i approximated is around 9-10 hours.
          Export all the images to a video with the current speed and then add the exported file to a new project.
          Using the rate stretch tool and make the video lenght to 3 minutes.
          Because the exported video is images and the length of the video are so long, it wouldnt take much for it to export if you have a good PC/Mac

Another way is to manually change the speed on each file, and that would take forever.
          I hope i helped you a bit atleast! C:

• 2. Re: Time Lapse
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are several ways to do this.

You need to calculate the duration of the image.

Before importing the images change duration of the stills in the Preferences/General.

Or when allready in project, select all image in the Project Window right click and change duration

When already on the timeline: select all images, right click, speed/duration, set value and OK.

This will leave gaps, you can delete these gaps like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I89jYuZYvP8

Another way is to import the images as an image sequence.

They will import as a movie and each image will have a duration of 1 frame.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/importing-still-images.html

In the Preferences/Media set Indeterminate Media TimeBase to the same framerate as the project.

• 3. Re: Time Lapse
              Tallyberto Level 1

Thank you both for this

I forgot to say, I did try the 'Speed/Duration' method by changing it from 00:00:05:00 to 00:00:00:0.01, however, that method did not work (probably me!)

I will try the image sequence method now, I assume once its a 'video' I will then use the 'rate stretch tool' to modify the time on screen?

Cheers,

Bryn

• 4. Re: Time Lapse
                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

On a side note:

- tick Ripple Edit, Shifting Trailing Clips checkbox while changing Speed/Duration in the timeline so as to avoid gaps between your footages/stills;

- nest your sequence with separate stills so as to be able to tread it as a regular footage (movie) in a master sequence.

By the way, the value 00:00:00:0.01 does not exists. The last two digits is the number of frames. So as to shrink the duration to just one frame you need to enter 00:00:00:01 or simply 1.

• 5. Re: Time Lapse

How about this one: forgot all about it.

ripple trim stills.png

• 6. Re: Time Lapse
                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

I have an excuse: I'm still on CS5.5...

• 7. Re: Time Lapse

You are excused, Konstantine.

• 8. Re: Time Lapse
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Changing the default duration only works if you reimport all of the images. It does not work on the ones already in the project.

• 9. Re: Time Lapse
                          Tallyberto Level 1

Thanks everyone for your help.

Followed the advice and I have now got the video down to 3mins 13secs which is perfect

thanks again!

• 10. Re: Time Lapse
                            Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                            Changing the default duration only works if you reimport all of the images. It does not work on the ones already in the project.

It does

Just not via Modify -> Interpret Footage..., but via Speed/Duration... as Ann said (yes, Speed/Duration in the Project panel). But smallest duration that can be achieved here, on CS5.5, is 2 frames, not 1 frame.

P.S. Oops, I did it again... I mean, I again misread the comment... Changing default duration definitely doesn't affect already imported images. But you still can change their duration in the Project panel.

• 11. Re: Time Lapse

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

That is what i said.

• 12. Re: Time Lapse
                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Ann,

You did. Sort of. Certainly in a way that I understood. I am just not sure it would be that clear to someone not already familiar with the concept. So I expanded on your statement, hopefully for clarity.

Just trying to help.