8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2013 12:12 AM by P_o_B

XDCAM .mov Files on a PC in PrPro CC

P_o_B

Anybody know if there will be any support for XDCAM .mov files in Premiere Pro CC? I have a feeling that this is a limitation of Windows rather than Pr as it works fine on a Mac.

Is the Calibrated software plugin the only workaround available or will CC help in any way?

Thanks guys!

• 1. Re: XDCAM .mov Files on a PC in PrPro CC
          Harm Millaard Level 7

XDCAM is not .MOV wrapped, but .MP4 wrapped. Don't converet XDCAM material to .MOV, only import the complete BPAV directory and import from Media Browser.

• 2. Re: XDCAM .mov Files on a PC in PrPro CC
            P_o_B Level 1

Sorry - I should have given more context. We have historically mastered to XDCAM discs and then imported as .movs through Sony XDCAM transfer/Content Browser when we needed to use them in a different edit. We are about to install a PC suite and were a bit stumped that we couldn't use them.

For ingesting new material, I would of course keep the raw structure and dive in right away. We were just looking for a way to avoid adding the extra step of transcoding on a mac if possible. It's not the end of the world but I was just curious if CC is adding this functionality as part of the mezzanine codecs?

Going forward we'll obviously master to something a bit more PC friendly and probably just archive it with an LTO. 

• 3. Re: XDCAM .mov Files on a PC in PrPro CC
              SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

Premiere Pro CC adds native support for MOV wrapped XDCAM

• 4. Re: XDCAM .mov Files on a PC in PrPro CC
                P_o_B Level 1

Awesome news thanks!

• 5. Re: XDCAM .mov Files on a PC in PrPro CC
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

For that to work, you have to 'rent' the software indefinitely, if you want to use it in a few years time and you pay 62% more 'rent' in Europe than on the American or Australian continent and in South Africa. The easier way is not convert to .MOV and stick with CS6. It is not substantiated by facts, but my gut feeling is that CC7 is not ready for prime time. Heck, even CS6 is not ready for prime time with the spanned clip bug and the caching problems, which are still unsolved after one year. Maybe I'm proven wrong on this when CC7 is released, but I do not really trust the Adobe Marketing Department, who have a proven track record of obfuscating things beyond recognition.

• 6. Re: XDCAM .mov Files on a PC in PrPro CC
                    P_o_B Level 1

For that to work, you have to 'rent' the software indefinitely

So? Works for me. I understand the frustration of the infrequent upgraders, but as a new user the cloud is a great option for us. If it doesn't work for you, find something that does.

if you want to use it in a few years time and you pay 62% more 'rent' in Europe than on the American or Australian continent and in South Africa.

I'm with you on this, the disparity between regions is pretty shocking.

• 7. Re: XDCAM .mov Files on a PC in PrPro CC
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

So? Works for me. I understand the frustration of the infrequent upgraders, but as a new user the cloud is a great option for us.

I don't lease a car, I buy a car. I don't lease a camera, I buy a camera. I don't lease a computer, I buy a computer. I don't rent a house, I buy a house, I don't want a mortgage on my house, I pay it up front. Same with Adobe software. I have no problem buying a CS suite and paying in one big lump. I do have a problem with renting and being completely dependent on the crazy pricing that Adobe applies to their products. If I rent, I take the huge risk of being screwed over by Adobe. If I can't buy a perpetual license of a CS suite, it is EOS.

I rather pay more for a perpetual license than the CC would cost, just to be sure Adobe does not screw me in the long run. And I'm not an infrequent upgrader. I have perpetual licenses on each and every version of Premiere since 6.01, before it became Premiere Pro and have Production Premium suite licenses since CS2 and Master Collection suites since CS4. That does not qualify as an infrequent upgrader, does it?

• 8. Re: XDCAM .mov Files on a PC in PrPro CC
                        P_o_B Level 1

Hi Steve,

Still having trouble with these I'm afraid. Was this not implemented for launch or is it only a specific flavour of XDCAM?