13 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2013 1:06 PM by Magic81587

HDD recommendation for raid 0

PAVI2013

Hi everybody, I would like to buy 2 HDDs for raid 0 (for media projects, not as boot drive), in my country I have found the following HDDs and I would like to ask you for some help choosing the right one:

- Seagate: ST310005N1A1AS-RK (1tb / 7,200rpm / sata 3gbps / cache 32mb)

- WD: WDBAAZ0010HNC-NRSN (1tb / 7,200rpm / sata 3gbps / cache 32mb)

- Seagate: STBD2000101 (2tb / 7,200rpm / sata 6gbps / cache 64mb)

- Toshiba: PH3200U-1I72 (2tb / 7,200rpm / sata 6gbps / cache 64mb)

Which one would you recommend me?, my mobo is an Asus P9X79 WS

Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: HDD recommendation for raid 0
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Consumer level:

1. Seagate Barracuda 7200.15
          2. HGST Deskstar
          3. WD Caviar Black

Enterprise level:

1. HGST Ultrastar
          2. Seagate Constellation
          3. WD RE4
          • 2. Re: HDD recommendation for raid 0
            PAVI2013 Level 1

Thanks for the fast reply Harm, sadly in my country I haven't found Seagate 7200.15 anywhere but these 2 seagate HDDs are also barracudas:

will these be good? I should buy them or should I buy this one (WD caviar black):

- WD: WDBAAZ0010HNC-NRSN (1tb / 7,200rpm / sata 3gbps / cache 32mb)

This WD is sata 3gbps will the performance be a lot less than a sata 6gbps? or is it a good choice, sadly in my country I don't have a lot of reputable places where to buy HDDs.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: HDD recommendation for raid 0
              PAVI2013 Level 1

Sorry for double posting but I found these 2 seagate HDDs:

Are from the 7200.14 series, would you recommend them?

Thanks.

• 4. Re: HDD recommendation for raid 0
                RjL190365 Level 4

For mechanically spinning hard drives, SATA 3.0 Gbps and SATA 6.0 Gbps is largely irrelevant with regards to actual real-world performance given that no current hard drive can even come close (sequential transfer speed wise) to the maximum practical bandwidth of even SATA 3.0 Gbps, let alone SATA 6.0 Gbps. In fact, the fastest such drives barely exceed the maximum potential bandwidth of the very first generation of the SATA interface (SATA I, or SATA 1.5 Gbps).

And with that WD Black SATA 3.0 Gbps drive with 32MB cache, you'll never know which drive that you're going to get: You could end up receiving an older-layout drive with three 334GB platters instead of the one or two 1TB platters that the Seagate 7200.14 series drives have. As such, the three-platter 1TB WD Black maxes out at only 106 MB/s sequentially on the outer tracks while newer-design hard drives can reach nearly 190 MB/s. In fact, with two such older-design drives in RAID 0, the RAIDed WD Blacks of that older design would be no faster in sequential performance than a single newer-design hard drive! And that particular WD Black has officially been discontinued, but some markets have existing stock of these older drives. All current 1TB WD Blacks have a SATA 6.0 Gbps interface and 64MB of cache.

• 5. Re: HDD recommendation for raid 0
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

PAVI2013 wrote:

Sorry for double posting but I found these 2 seagate HDDs:

Are from the 7200.14 series, would you recommend them?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: HDD recommendation for raid 0

I would not recommend those two drives as they are not the ones I have tested extensively.. On Seagate's site there is one drive listed as "Desktop HDD.15" but only in the 4 TB size. I do not find any 7200.15 listed. 

The excellent 3, 2, and 1 TB, 64 MB cache,  SATA III drives are the:

ST3000DM001

ST2000DM001

ST1000DM003

Do NOT get any of the 500GB ST500DM002 drives as they have much slower transfer rates than the four drives above.

Here is an excellent result of an HD Tune Pro write rate test on a pair of ST2000DM001 drives in RAID.0 on SATA III interface ports.  With our new Disk I/O test on PPBM6 I typically get a Premiere Pro write rate of over 300 MB/second to this pair of disk drives when they are up to about 30% full and then it tapers off like you see below

HD Tune Z68 Intel Write 2x2 TB R0.png

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 7. Re: HDD recommendation for raid 0
                      Magic81587 Level 1

Harm - Do you mean the Seagate 7200.14 drives? Like Bill, I can't seem to find 7200.15 as something that exists.

Bill - I've had my eye on the 2TB Seagate 7200.14 (ST2000DM001) for a bit, but found some concerning information on different build types. It looks like with the 2TB drive, some have two 1TB platters while others have three 666GB platters. Can you speak to which you have that provided the above results? The 1TB and 3TB drives don't seem to have this issue. More info here.

• 8. Re: HDD recommendation for raid 0
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

No, I meant the 7200.15 series. They are the latest version with 1 TB platters. See Seagate 7200.15 drives

The problem with the 7200.14 series are limited to the 2 TB models. The 3 and 4 TB models are quite good, but there are a number of people who had problems with the 2 TB models, loud clicking noises, not starting up, etc. Originally I had these in mind for my 'Monster', but after reading Newegg reviews of these disks I opted for the smaller Constellation enterprise series

• 9. Re: HDD recommendation for raid 0
                          PAVI2013 Level 1

@RjL190365, thanks for the info, now I know I shouldn't buy that WD HDD.

@Bill Gehrke, thanks a lot for the info, sadly here in my country there's a few reputable places where to buy HDD and those 2 models are the only ones available.

• 10. Re: HDD recommendation for raid 0

Maybe eventually there will be a 7200.15 seriesw but as of right now according to the Seagate site it is only the 4 TB model and it does not have the same transfer rate that the 1,2,3 TB models have.  Can't you have them shipped from the US or is that too expensive?

• 11. Re: HDD recommendation for raid 0

Harm, the only 3 TB model is the 7200.14

• 12. Re: HDD recommendation for raid 0
                                PAVI2013 Level 1

I can have them shipped from US, the problem is if a HDD comes DOA or any other problem happens, sending it back to US will be really expensive (about $100) and after I receive the replacement I will have to pay again to have it shipped back, and most of the brands here will only honor warranty for products purchased locally.

• 13. Re: HDD recommendation for raid 0
                                  Magic81587 Level 1

I just had a quite enlightening phone call with Seagate technical support. Figured I'd pass on my findings.

Currently, the Desktop HDD.15 Series is only offered at the 4TB size (Model #: ST4000DM000). However, the user manual also mentions a 3TB version (Model #: ST3000DM003). I got the guy on the phone to admit that it looks like that the 3TB is not currently offered for sale anywhere just yet (and isn't showing up on Seagate's product page), but I imagine it's coming soon. However, I also confirmed with Seagate that both of the drives in the .15 Series are only 5900RPM. There was also no information available to suggest that more hard drive sizes would be pushed to the .15 Series any time soon and/or what speeds they would be.

So back to the 7200.14 Series drives. These are all 7200RPM.

1TB (ST1000DM003) - These use the one 1TB platter. Reviews seem good.

2TB (ST2000DM001) - These have two models. One with 1TB platters and one with 666GB platters. No easy way to tell which you're buying. Harm mentions that there have been reports of      clicking noises on these as well.

3TB (ST3000DM001) - These use the one 1TB platter. Reviews seem good.

To me, it sounds like you'd want to either get the 7200.14 1TB or 3TB if you were on the market for a HDD and wanted Seagate. It's a shame, really. That 2TB drive was the perfect sweet spot for me.