6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2014 1:31 PM by PainfulSignup

This is a secured document. Editing is not permitted.

Try Mediation

I have made my form, fine tuned all the field names, and found an error in the MS Word header. I have Acrobat XI. I need to edit the header and not have to repeat all the fine tuning.

Message;
      This is a secured document. Editing is not permitted.

Please tell me that there is a way! How do I get around this to edit my header?

• 1. Re: This is a secured document. Editing is not permitted.
          Genevieve Laroche Adobe Employee

FormsCentral saves the PDF with Reader rights (so that people using reader to fill out the form can save the form and data on their system). To be able to modify you PDF you need to first remove those rights.

In Acrobat do

File > Save a Copy...

Save the copy somewhere on your system

Open the copy you just saved

Modify the copy

File > Save as Other... > Reader Extended PDF... > Enabled More Tools (includes form fill-ins & save)...

This last step will add the Reader rights back to your form.

Hope this helps.

Gen

• 2. Re: This is a secured document. Editing is not permitted.
            bobschmenk

I tried following these instructions but the options to save as "Reader Extended PDF" are in grey and I cannot select them.

I don't know why this PDF should be locked or be unlockable.  It's just a scan of paper documents, nothing special.  I want to type text on top but I can't

• 3. Re: This is a secured document. Editing is not permitted.
              jbarchuk

My exact issue with Secured is that I cannot (mouse) - Select - Edit - Copy. I can Select to highlight but right-click doesn't display a menu, and Menu - Edit - Copy is greyed out.

I did File - Save As - PDF and changed the name, but that had no effect, it is still Secured.

The Save As copy added ~35K to the file, for no apparent reason. Whatever, HD space is cheap.

Yes, the Select tool is active.

This is vrerrry weird, because I have never before encountered a PDF file that I could not Select - Copy. Not that I do that very frequently, just that this is the first one ever. I don't even want to edit this file, I want to paste the text elsewhere.

IMO this is a minor UI bug. Or not exactly a bug because the software didn't do anything 'wrong' with my data, but I heard more of a 'klunk' sounf in the back of my head when I -eventually- find out 'something is wrong here because it won't do what I ask.' If I can't -do- anything with Selected text, the act of -selecting- shouldnt even be -available-. Think of it from the user point of view. I want to copy/paste something. Easy. I have Select tool active. Cool, that's default. I mouse around and highlight text. Very cool. Then I chase through the menus for a while looking for a way to do something with the selected text. I never should have been able to select in the first place because that entire effort was futile.

TIA

• 4. Re: This is a secured document. Editing is not permitted.
                brent.barton

Was just looking for a solution to this same problem and stumbled upon the solution--open the PDF form Forms Central.

• 5. Re: This is a secured document. Editing is not permitted.
                  PainfulSignup

Sorry, what is "PDF forms Forms Central?" I see nothing like that in Acrobat.

• 6. Re: This is a secured document. Editing is not permitted.
                    PainfulSignup Level 1

This solution does not work. Firstly there is no "save a copy" choice under File. Second, under Save as Other, the choices you mention are disabled. Since this response from Adobe is over a year old and this solution doesn't work for anyone in this thread, should we assume we are stuck with this and Adobe has no further interest in solving this problem?