2 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2013 3:12 AM by Rick Gerard

How to make this effect ? ( video )

Speedy090

Hi all
      how to make the screen blink dark like in this video  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TszuTgFx93U

starts at 0.46 end at 0.50

can anyone tell me hows it called ?

• 1. Re: How to make this effect ? ( video )
          Klaus_Brandenburg Level 2

Must be some brand new ILM stuff. Such things only get names when there's a plugin available so everybody can do it.

• 2. Re: How to make this effect ? ( video )
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you mean this effect and then changing to a black screen then this is a glow with an add blend mode and a blur followed by a black layer multiplied with opacity keyframes.

Screen Shot 2013-05-10 at 10.02.17 PM.png

I would put the video on the bottom layer, then add an adjustment layer and set the in and out point of the adjustment layer to the length you want to have this effect. It's only a few frames in the sample video. Then I'd go to the middle of the adjustment layer and add Glow to see if you could get close to this effect. Then I'd animate the opacity of the adjustment layer from zero to 100 over a few frames. I'd then set a new black solid above that and set the blend mode to Multiply. Set the in point just past the second keyframe in the adjustment layer and set the opacity to 0. Then move in a few frames and set the opacity of the black solid to 100% and set the out point of the adjustment layer to the same spot. Then move down a frame or two and set another opacity keyframe for the black solid at 100% then move down a few frames and set the opacity to zero and set an out point for the black solid.

Figuring these things out is just a matter of looking at the frames and trying to figure how to stack layers up to achieve the effect. Grab some stills from various parts of an effect you are trying to copy and then try and figure out what you could do to the footage to get the same result. Only a few of the effects you see are just a single plug-in applied to a single layer. This is the best way to learn After Effects.

Here's what a comp would look like using a frame from the sample video. Note that the adjustment layer and the black solid are only a few frames long. I made a quick stab at the color grading of the frame by making some adjustments to the A and B colors of the glow, added some blur, and added a little color correction to the adjustment layer using curves. This should get you started.

Screen Shot 2013-05-10 at 11.01.12 PM.png