1 Reply Latest reply on May 10, 2013 11:50 AM by rob day

Exporting to a .swf or .fla from InDesign CS6 - issues with timeline when opened in Flash.

jla999

Hello,

Looking for help with exporting files for Flash. I have tried both .swf and fla exports from InDesign for the animations I have created. The .swf file will play fine in Flash player but I am having no luck using the .swf or .fla file in Flash. The .fla file will open in Flash but there is no time-line. I can import the .swf file into Flash, but again there is no timeline - all the graphics and elements are visible in the library.

- Is there a particular way the file(s) have to be exported from InDesign in order for them to appear with a time line in Flash?

- Are there particular do's and dont's when it comes to creating InDesign files that are going to be used as Flash animation?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
      Jamie

• 1. Re: Exporting to a .swf or .fla from InDesign CS6 - issues with timeline when opened in Flash.
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The page turning animations in an exported swf are accomplished via ActionScript—they are not timeline based tween animations. You might be able to decompile the swf and get to the code, but I've never tried it. Google SWF decompiler.

When you export to fla the animation ActionScript code is not included, so you lose the page turn animations. Each spread is saved as a MovieClip and the clips appear on sequential keyframes of the root timeline. With an fla it's up to you to write any animation code.