8 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2013 2:57 PM by A.T. Romano

saving project setting

sevviesev Level 1

i film in sd mode and edit in premiere 11 a few time i have fogoten to change projects to sd and the programme edits as defaul in hd  have complted the edit is there any way i can confert so the final out put is sd it looks verty poor qualty in older versions you could set the project setting  11 deaufts to hd

rob

• 1. Re: saving project setting
          A.T. Romano Level 7

servviesev

The short version:

What are the properties of your "SD footage" that you are importing in Premiere Elements 11?

a. video and audio compression

b. frame size and frame rate, progressive or interlaced, and, if interlaced, upper or lower field first

c. pixel aspect ratio

The program bases the project preset that it select on at least b and c, probably a as well, and, if it has a problem deciding on the "correct" project preset it will default to the default that 1080i.

Your only recourse is to set the project preset yourself for each project before you import media into a project (File Menu/New/Project, making sure that you have a check mark next to Force selected Project Setting on this project)

When you open a Premiere Elements 11 project, it opens to default NTSC AVCHD Full 1080i30 or PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25. When you Add Media and then drag the first video file from Project Media to the Timeline (Expert view), the program is supposed to re-set the project preset to match the properties of your first video file that is hitting the Timeline. It does not always do that, especially for SD.

I have written about this in a new blog that I have started and will post the link to it in your thread another time if interested. Right now I am in the process of updating that particular post. I want to update that blog post to include some additional significant information on this topic.

Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: saving project setting
            sevviesev Level 1

Hi thanks for your reply,yes the tutorial video stats that it adjusts the setting as you say to the format you filmed in in v7 you can preset the settings so always is correct ,I did a full edit and produced a DVD to find out the hard way I no you can't change the import setting once yoked edited it is there any other way I can convert without have to reedit in future will adjust correct setting at the new project stage also if u mix sd with hd on the time line does it automatically set to sd many thanks I

Regards

Rob Berry

01438356409/07860522032

www.specialeventsvid.co.uk

• 3. Re: saving project setting
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Rob Berry

The Adobe party line is that you cannot change the project preset after you have set it and moved on to the Premiere Elements workspace.

To the contrary, under certain circumstances, I have found that you can change the project settings without starting a new project. You do that by editing the Notepad document of the project file (project.prel) saved to the hard drive. I have done this in versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 11 and expect I can do that in version 11 as well. I would need to do a test run.

What do you want to go FROM and TO.

PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25 to PAL DV Widescreen

or

other.

In the long run, if the existing project is not too long, it might be a good idea to start a new project.

Before you decide to change the project settings by editing the Notepad document for the saved project.prel, you might want to review your whole project to make sure that the poor quality of the end product does not involve other factors:

a. what are the properties of your source media

(you say SD...is that PAL DV Standard or PAL DV Widescreen or something else...and, is this interlaced or progressive video...if interlaced, Upper Field First or Lower Field First.

Later tonight or tomorrow morning I will try to write up the details of changing a Premiere Elements 11 project setting from  1080i25 to SD PAL widescreen. At this point, I do not know if what I have done in prior versions is possible in version 11. We will find out.

If you are interested, I have just updated my blog post related to the setting of the Premiere Elements 11 project presets. Please refer to April 29, 2013 blog post titled "PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting"

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: saving project setting
                sevviesev Level 1

Hi again many thanks great info I inputed pal sd widescreen  think in the settings it's at at full hd not sure if its in the preset NTSC or pal the edited looks fine on the time line but I copy to DVD it looks poor quality a bit like its in NTSC I have done a short check manually setting to pal as you said and copied to disc and its fine it would be great if I could change settings without having to redo as its quite long unfortunately I relied on the adobe info that said it auto changes settings clearly not the case will not start to redo if u thing I could convert in the way u said in the meantime have put post it not on screen to remind me to set input to match

Many thanks for all your help

Sent from my iPhone

Bob

• 5. Re: saving project setting
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

sevviesev

Good morning. Just starting my day.

Last night I worked on changing the project settings of a PAL 1080i25 project to PAL DV Widescreen after the Premiere Elements 11 project preset (New Project dialog) had been set to its default PAL 1080i25 and you were in the editing workspace. Yes, it can be done for Premiere Elements 11 with regard to this specific change so that you do not have to start a new project to set manually a different project preset. I have all the details worked out, except for having the correct field order displayed in Edit Menu/Project Settings after the changes are made in the saved project.prel file's Notepad document.

More news of this hopefully later today.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: saving project setting
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

sevviesev (Bob)

Well the job is done.

Here is the how to for changing the Premiere Elements 11 Windows project set for PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25 to PAL DV Widescreen without having to start a new project. The following is an excerpt of my blog post on this.

Example Used: PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25 Project Settings to PAL DV Widescreen Project Settings
                    Starting with PAL DV Widescreen imported in a Premiere Elements 11 Windows project with program set project settings of PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25

1. Save/close the project.prel with the incorrect PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25 project settings.

2. At its hard drive save location, right click the project.prel file, select Open With, and then select Notepad to open the PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25 document.

3. In the Notepad document, go to Edit Menu/Find. In the "Find What" of the Find dialog

A. Type PixelAspect. Go through the document with the "Find Next" and make the following changes for each instance:

<PixelAspectRatio>1,1</PixelAspectRatio>
                    <FrameRect>0,0,1920,1080</FrameRect>

To:
                    <PixelAspectRatio>1024,702</PixelAspectRatio>

<FrameRect>0,0,720,576</FrameRect>

It is important that changes are made ONLY if the From: line above is exactly as described. There should be about 6 of the above changes in the document.

B. Type EditingMode. Go through the document with the "Find Next" and make the following changes when you see the following:

<EditingModeID>d10b5335-ce74-4031-bc7c-79e8b73582ee</EditingModeID>

and

<MZ.Sequence.EditingModeGUID>d10b5335-ce74-4031-bc7c-79e8b73582ee</MZ.Sequence.EditingMode GUID>

To:

<EditingModeID>e2e6d6b0-7e3d-4455-bf93-0d9c3c791e4e</EditingModeID>

and

<MZ.Sequence.EditingModeGUID>e2e6d6b0-7e3d-4455-bf93-0d9c3c791e4e</MZ.Sequence.EditingMode GUID>

C. Type field. Go through the document with the "Find Next" and make the following change for each instance:

<VideoFieldType>1</VideoFieldType>

To:  

<VideoFieldType>2</VideoFieldType>

Again, it is important that changes are made ONLY if the From: line above is exactly as described. There should be about 4 of the above changes in the document.

D. Save the Notepad document with its changes. Open the project.prel to find the changes made in Notepad reflected in the project settings of the Premiere Elements 11 workspace Edit Menu/Project Settings.

BEFORE: Edit Menu/Project Settings will look like:

PALAVCHDFULLHD1080i25.JPG

AFTER: Edit Menu/Project Settings should look like:

PALDVWIDESCREEN.JPG

My blog account on this is found at http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/

Please review and let us know if this worked for you. If you have not invested heavily in the project with the incorrect project preset, you just may want to start a new project where you set the project preset in the New Project Dialog yourself manually.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

Add On...I have double checked the content, but I will check it again within the next 12 hours.

• 7. Re: saving project setting
                      sevviesev Level 1

Hi,

Many thanks for your info I spent some time going thro your detailed notes and after about an hour decided to to redit the programme from start,funnily enough it's surprising how much quicker the second time round also noticed a few mistakes from first time round which I corrected,have l now completed and made sure set the correct settings at the start  and now looks fine,have put a big post it note on my monitor so I don't do same again ,much better than having to redo after some time editing,I use gopro hero for some footage also new sony as15 mini cam they only shoot in hd so mix with sd on time line works fine I assume that  premiere converts hd to sd,

Once again thanks for info perhaps adobe will allow Sam on any upgrade they do .

Regards

Rob Berry

01438356409/07860522032

www.specialeventsvid.co.uk

• 8. Re: saving project setting
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Rob Berry

Thanks for the follow up.

I think that starting of the new project was the better idea in your situation. But, if you are forced to change an incorrect project preset without starting a new project, you now have an idea how it might be achieved with editing the Notepad document of the saved project.prel, using the settings specific to each of the different project presets.

Success with your projects.

ATR