4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2013 7:52 PM by a C student

"click on the link for each error to highlight the location of the error in the PDF file" fails

madrom87

I'm working on a document which has tables in it. When I run the accessibility checker for 508 compliance, it tells me the document failed the test (g) 4 Table element(s) with no TH child elements and then provides links to the 4 tables in question. Now, when I click on those links, nothing happens. I know it is supposed to take me to the location of the problem table, and in fact this has worked for me in other documents in the past. Why is it not working now? I could really use this functionality because there are more than 4 tables so I can't tell which ones are failing the test without Acrobat highlighting them for me.

Thanks!

Maddie

• 1. Re: "click on the link for each error to highlight the location of the error in the PDF file" fails
          raeben3 Level 3

My best guess is you have a completely empty Table Tag somewhere.    So Acrobat can't find it because it has no content.  

If you have a huge document with lots of tables, looking for this tag can be tedious.  You could save as HTML and open in Dreamweaver and search for <Table />...  That might give you a clue as to where in the document the empty tag is.

• 2. Re: "click on the link for each error to highlight the location of the error in the PDF file" fails
            madrom87 Level 1

Hmm, I tried that but it didn't solve the problem. When I searched for the tables there was always something in the code for the table. Also, saving the PDF to HTML really messed up the layout of the file, so it was hard to tell how well it paralleled the code in the PDF file.

However, I don't know if this would give you any ideas, but these are links from the Accessibility Report, from the list "Structure errors: 7 table element(s) with no TH child elements."

This is one that took me to a table:

file:///U|/Booklets/second%20edition%202011-2016/booklet-2/Book.TwoTAGGED.pdf#page=26&high light=50,558,675,180

This is what ALL the other 6 look like (which, when clicked, took me nowhere):

file:///U|/Booklets/second%20edition%202011-2016/booklet-2/Book.TwoTAGGED.pdf#page=0&highl ight=-32768,-32768,-32768,-32768

It makes me think that there are some artifact tables floating out in space somewhere, at the location "-32768,-32768,-32768,-32768."

If there was some way for me to find them and either tag them as artifacts or delete them... that might solve the problem! Do you know if there is a way?

Thanks!

Maddie

• 3. Re: "click on the link for each error to highlight the location of the error in the PDF file" fails
              raeben3 Level 3

None of the URLs you include above work as they are local links (to files on your machine or network).

Try attaching the file or files to an email and send them here: rae_fca1@sendtodropbox.com and I will take a look.

• 4. Re: "click on the link for each error to highlight the location of the error in the PDF file" fails
                a C student Level 3

Hi Maddie,

You might try downloading the free PDF Accessibility Checker (PAC) from the Swiss foundation Access for All. Google will find it easily. It does not let you click to the location of the error, but it should give you a clue such as "Table(3)" along with a description of the error. It also has a very handy preview feature that lets you visually inspect the document, seeing what an assistive technology user would hear. Frequently an error is easy to spot - e.g. the table stucture might look clearly off somehow. Don't be surprised if PAC finds some additional things to fix though - it is much more thorough than the checker that comes with Acrobat. It has a few quirks - it insists on a root "Document" tag and will check no further if it does not find one, and it throws in a few german words here and there.

Hope this helps.

a 'C' student