7 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2013 11:14 AM by A.T. Romano

Video Compression

russgill909

I have tried Video compression of 5,000 to 20,000 and have been disappointed with the quality. I have shot 1080, 23.9 fps and though the original files look great and it also looks good while editing. When sharing to the computer for use on the web, the quality is poor, very pixelated. What is the highest bitrate that I can use????

• 1. Re: Video Compression
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sharing for Computer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1058237 might help

• 2. Re: Video Compression
            russgill909 Level 1

I am using a Canon T2i/550D I have shot in 1080, at 24 and 30 fps, h.264. The comments there were more concerned with the info I just provided and not answering the question, "What is the Maximum bitrate I can use?"

• 3. Re: Video Compression
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try this for the web.

export 23,976 YT.jpg

• 4. Re: Video Compression
                A.T. Romano Level 7

russgill909

Hello. I suspect that we have met before.

To answer your question here

"What is the Maximum bitrate I can use?"

One answer would be the maximum that the settings provides for under the Advanced Button/Video Tab for the preset select. The answer might also include the maximum file size that will not get you into trouble by maximizing the bitrate. As you know, as the bitrate is increased, the quality can be increased, but the file size increases.

Look under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of your selected export preset and move the Bitrate slider(s) to extreme right and extreme left to see the Adobe limits. Here is an example based on Premiere Elements 11 Windows (you will need to remind me what Premiere Elements version that you are using):

If Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with the preset MP4- H.264 1920 x 1080 p24

Under Advanced Button/Video Tab

Target Bitrate ranges from 0.19 to 50 Mbps (megabits per second)

Maximum Bitrate ranges from 0.19 to 50 Mbps (megabits per second).

If Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with the preset M2T - H.264 1920 x 1080 p24

Target Bitrate ranges from 0.19 to 35 Mbps (megabits per second)

Maximum Bitrate ranges from 0.19 to 35 Mbps (megabits per second)

Typically the final setting depends on experimenation for your source media. With regard to the choices of video Bitrate Encoding settings of VBR, 1 Pass versus VBR, 2 Pass, I typically go with the VBR, 2 Pass.

If you are the Premiere Elements user that I remember, is the current issue presented here related to your old Vimeo and/or YouTube problems or are new issues involved now.

Please let us know how we can help further.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Video Compression
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

One other consideration, beyond the file size increase with a high Bit-Rate Encoding setting will be, "what is the maximum Bit-Rate setting for my desired delivery?"

For instance, if one were going to DVD-Video, or to BD (Blu-ray Disc), there are maximum Bit-Rates allowed. Some other possible delivery schemes can have maximum Bit-Rate limits too.

Just make sure to take any possible limits into consideration, before just maxing out the Bit-Rate settings. If there is no imposed limit, then higher will be better, though one might find that at some point, the higher Bit-Rate will not produce noticeable improvement in quality.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Video Compression
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

russgill909

I think that you and Hunt may find the following of interest, if not already observed.

Please refer back to the examples that I gave in post # 4.

If Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with the preset MP4- H.264 1920 x 1080 p24

Target Bitrate ranges from 0.19 to 50 Mbps (megabits per second)

Maximum Bitrate ranges from 0.19 to 50 Mbps (megabits per second).

If Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with the preset M2T - H.264 1920 x 1080 p24

Target Bitrate ranges from 0.19 to 35 Mbps (megabits per second)

Maximum Bitrate ranges from 0.19 to 35 Mbps (megabits per second)

In the case of the AVCHD.mp4 example, those Bitrate ranges were seen with the Export Settings default setting of Profile = Main and Level = 4.2. If the Level were changed to 5.1, then

Target Bitrate ranges from 0.19 to 240 Mbps (megabits per second)

Maximum Bitrate ranges from 0.19 to 240 Mbps (megabits per second)

In the case of the AVCHD.m2t example, those Bitrate ranges persisted even with the highest Profile and Level setting, that is, High and 4.1 respectively. These are video Bitrate Encoding of VBR, 1 Pass or 2 Pass. So we are talking about variable bitrate here not constant bitrate which I typically see applied to audio.

Comparing and/or setting comparable bitrates can be confusing at time because of nomenclature, consider Kbps = kilobits per second; KBps = kilobytes per second; Mbps = megabits per second; MBps = megabytes per second; as well as variations thereof.

Whether we are talking about DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc we are talking about VBR (variable bitrate).

And, I have never seen the bitrate of source media (with its bitrate higher than the export bitrate set) override the lower bitrate of the export settings to give the higher bitrate.

Please review and let me know if you make similar observations.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Video Compression
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Out of curiosity I looked at the properties of an AVCHD.mov file exported to AVCHD.mp4 characterized by maxed out bitrate settings.

The import file was

AVCHD.mov

1920 x 1080p30

Overall Bitrate = 40.6 Mbps (according to MediaInfo)

Bitrate = 39.2 Mbps (according to MediaInfo)

Average Bitrate = 4.8 MB/second (aka 38.4 Mbps) (according to Premiere Elements 11 Properties)

The export settings for an AVCHD.mp4 file included:

Preset = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30

Profile = Main

Level = 5.1

Bitrate Encoding = VBR, 2 Pass

Target Bitrate = 240 Mbps (slider to extreme right)

Maximum Bitrate = 240 Mbps (slider to extreme right)

MediaInfo for the AVCHD.mp4 Export

Overall Bitrate = 104 Mbps

Bitrate = 103 Mbps

I went for the extreme for just a quick look. When I repeated the test using Target Bitrate and Maximum Bitrate each = 100 Mbps, then

Overall Bitrate = 98.4 Mbps

Bitrate = 98.4 Mbps

When I repeated the test using Target Bitrate and Maximum Bitrate each = 60 Mbps, then

Overall Bitrate = 60.1 Mbps

Bitrate = 60.0 Mbps

ATR