16 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2013 4:51 AM by A.T. Romano

elements 11 - can't see which albums a photo is linked to

darrell screen Level 1

I have the same photo in multiple albums.  when I interrogate the photo it does not indicate which albums it is in.  Elements 9 did this.  what rick am I missing?  Tks - Darrell

• 1. Re: elements 11 - can't see which albums a photo is linked to
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am confused... are you asking a question for PHOTOSHOP Elements (photo editing) or PREMIERE Elements (video editing)?

• 2. Re: elements 11 - can't see which albums a photo is linked to
            A.T. Romano Level 7

darrell screen

I know exactly what you are talking about. Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Organize Header/Media offers a feature Filter By: Select Album.

SelectAlbum.JPG

You are seeking to use media in Albums created in the Elements Organizer. Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11 are standalone programs and each comes with the Elements Organizer. If both are installed on the same computer, they share the same database. In Premiere Elements 11, the Elements Organizer is accessed from the Organizer Tab at the bottom of the Premiere Elements 11 Expert view workspace.

All that being said, your question is where is the comparable Filter by: Select Album of Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 workspace feature in Premiere Elements 11 Expert view workspace.

I do not see a comparable feature for this in Premiere Elements 11 (Editor).

You can get a Properties readout for your photo in Premiere Elements 11, but that just shows the path to the original. And, if you have the same photo in two different Albums, the photo in each of the Albums is going to trace back to the same path to its hard drive save location.

Until proven otherwise, that is my take on the question that you ask which is not really strictly a Photoshop Elements question but rather a question related to Premiere Elements Add Media from the Organizer.

Please review. I will continue to think about this nonetheless.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: elements 11 - can't see which albums a photo is linked to
              the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you for that detailed explanation.

As one who does not use the PrE Organizer (Adobe Bridge from Production Premium CS 6 instead), I have a workflow question for the OP, "what would be the benefit from knowing which Album, the file is referenced?" As you point out, the inclusion in an Album(s), is but an absolute Path to the actual media file, itself - that file might be included in multiple Albums, but it is still the same file, and its absolute Path is what allows PrE (or PSE) to locate that file.

I am probably just missing something, so hope to learn.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 4. Re: elements 11 - can't see which albums a photo is linked to
                darrell screen Level 1

Thanks for your response.

My question relates to Photoshop Elements 11 which I have only recently installed, not to Premiere Elements.

Elements 9 had the facility and it was very useful.

If it is decided that the photo is not required in a particular album any longer, how can you decide with certainty whether the photo can be deleted from the catalogue and the drive?

I have 14 000 photos in my catalogue and many albums.

Darrell

• 5. Re: elements 11 - can't see which albums a photo is linked to
                  darrell screen Level 1

thanks for your response.  I recently installed Elements 11, not Premiere.  Elements 9 had the facility and it was very useful,  If it is decided that a specific photo which is included in multiple albums is no longer required in a particular album, how do you determine with certainty whether it can be deleted from the catalogue and the drive.  I have some 14 000 photos in the catalogue and many albums.  Darrell

• 6. Re: elements 11 - can't see which albums a photo is linked to
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Darrell,

There are two different programs from Adobe, with the "Elements" name, Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements. Each has a version of Organizer, but if one has installed both of the Elements programs, the Organizer is common to both.

Basically, it is a cataloging, and organizing program, rather like Adobe Bridge, which is available with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Premiere Pro, but it does have differences, like the Albums. Still, the operations and functionality are very similar.

As for how to pare down the Images/media files in an Album, or multiple Albums, others will have to jump in here, as I have never used Organizer in any of my versions of Premiere Elements (I have never had Photoshop Elements).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: elements 11 - can't see which albums a photo is linked to
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

darrell screen

Photoshop Elements questions are best answered in the Photoshop Elements Forum here, but I do have a good working knowledge of Photoshop Elements as well as Premiere Elements. So, let me see if my answer here will help.

Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11 are standalone programs and each has an Elements Organizer. When they are both on the same computer, they possess the intergration perk of sharing the same catalog/database.

Thumbnails that you see in the Elements Organizer 11 (with or without albums) trace back to the hard drive save location for the originals. Thumbnail information is stored in a database/catalog.

When you decide to delete a thumbnail from the catalog, you also get the option to delete the original on the hard drive as well as the thumbnail in the Organizer (with or without albums).

ElementsOrganizer11.JPG

To answer your question

If it is decided that the photo is not required in a particular album any longer, how can you decide with certainty whether the photo can be deleted from the catalogue and the drive?

It depends on how you respond to the Confirm Deletion from Catalog dialog and that the program does not malfunction in some unexpected and unexplained way. Right now I am fighting a problem with the Photoshop Elements 11 Elements Organizer wherein it refuses to delete certain thumbnails and hits me with an "Unexpected Error has occurred" message. Still working out that matter.

Are you referring to a situation where you have the same photo in several different albums and you delete the photo from just one of the albums? The message that you get at such a time states deletion from the catalog. I have found that in such a case, the thumbnail representing that photo is deleted from all the albums containing it since they all trace back to one hard drive saved original. If I do not select "Also delete selected item(s) from the hard disk", then I still have the original in its hard drive save location, and it can be reimported in the Elements Organizer at another time if needed.

I am not sure that I picked up on the "...with certainty.." part of your question. So, please let me know if I have targeted your question.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: elements 11 - can't see which albums a photo is linked to
                        darrell screen Level 1

If the photo is only in the album that I wish to delete it from, then I will delete it from both the catalogue and the hard drive.

If it is in other albums too, then I have a further decision to make about deleting it.  I need to know which albums in order to make the decision.

Darrell

• 9. Re: elements 11 - can't see which albums a photo is linked to
                          darrell screen Level 1

Apologies for the imprecision – I use Photoshop Elements.

Darrell

• 11. Re: elements 11 - can't see which albums a photo is linked to
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

If you are an active moderator in this forum, I would ask that you not move this thread elsewhere at this time.

I am working on some details related to Elements Organizer which is a part of Premiere Elements as well as Photoshop Elements (if that is any justification for the non move at this time). I think that the question is a point of interest for those who are actually using Premiere Elements with its Elements Organizer in their video editing projects.

If my tests today do not prove the point that I think they will, then maybe move of the thread to another forum if none of the Premiere Elements users in this forum post comments on the subject.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: elements 11 - can't see which albums a photo is linked to
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I agree completely with you. Since the Elements Organizer is common to both Elements programs, I see a good reason to keep it here. I do not know of a way to "copy" a thread, but only to Lock, Move, Delete, Branch or Edit it.

Back at the very beginning, a Move might have been justified, but I do not think so now.

I also try to keep any/all moderation to an absolute minimum - for me, less is more.

Thanks for giving the OP the info needed.

Hunt

• 13. Re: elements 11 - can't see which albums a photo is linked to
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

darrell screen

Here is what I did with regard to your last question, and here are the results which I hope that you will find helpful.

I created 3 Albums in the Elements Organizer 11, naming them

Album First

Album Second

Album Third

Each album had the same photo placed in it. Also in each album were an assortment of other photos not in the other two albums.

When I went into each of these 3 albums and placed the mouse cursor over the small green icon to the bottom right underneath the photo thumbnail common to all 3 albums (first thumbnail to left in screenshot), the pop up read in each instance "In Albums: Album First, Album Second, Album Third".

ElementsOrganizer11.JPG

And, when I right clicked the thumbnail common to all three albums and selected "Delete from Catalog", that deleted that thumbnail in the other two albums as well (consistent with what I wrote previously).

I have not done any studies beyond this to determine variables in the process (such as moving originals around on the hard drive save locations and existing broken linkages and such). But hopefully this will give you a starting point for some explorations on your topic.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: elements 11 - can't see which albums a photo is linked to
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Thanks. If the post that I just submitted does not help, I will give it another look with more details from Darrell, letting me know where I have not yet addressed his issue.

ATR

• 15. Re: elements 11 - can't see which albums a photo is linked to
                                    darrell screen Level 1

Thanks ATR.  My problem was that the detail below the photo was not being displayed.  I have now seen where the setting for displaying the detail is under the View tab.  Problem is now sorted.  thanks to all for assistance.  Darrell

• 16. Re: elements 11 - can't see which albums a photo is linked to
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

darrell screen

Thanks for the follow up with the great news that your problem is solved, including the details of how you worked that out. Good troubleshooting,

ATR