6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2015 11:19 AM by - Hannu -

Warp stabilizer and frame blend?

koggptft

Hi, I am working with some DSLR 1920 material in 80% speed. I have a Warp Stabilizer directly on the video layer to remove som shakiness, and I have frame blending enabled to remove the slow motion disturbances, but when I render the clip the frame blend doesnt apply. When I remove the warp stabilizer and render the frame blend does apply and everything looks smooth and nice except the shakiness, does the warp stabilizer and the frame blend conflict in some way or am I just doing it wrong?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Warp stabilizer and frame blend?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

am I just doing it wrong?

Yes. Pre-compose the stabilization, then slow it down.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Warp stabilizer and frame blend?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In many cases the difference between successfully pulling off a visual effect is a simple matter of adding another layer to your project. In this case the other layer is a pre-comp. The most common mistake I've seen in nearly 20 years of teaching After Effect is that people try to do way too much on one layer.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Warp stabilizer and frame blend?
              flovholm

I can't make that work.

Helpful info: There's no frame blend switch for a precomposed layer. To do the frame blending the frame blend switch must be set AND frame blending enabled INSIDE the precomposition. The main composition then inherits these properties for the precomposed layer.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't work. Frame blending simply won't apply to a layer that has been warp stabilized, even if precomposed. I don't see why this should be the case, but as far as I can tell the only solution is to render out the warp stabilized footage, then import that for frame blending. I'm all ears if there's something I'm missing, because that is far from a desirable work flow...

• 4. Re: Warp stabilizer and frame blend?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Frame blending does nothing unless you change the playback speed of the clip. There's nothing to blend. Stabilize your original footage in a comp with the same frame rate as the original. (make a new comp from the footage)

Drag that comp into a comp with your desired frame rate and slow down the source footage using any of AE's time tools.

Turn on frame blending.

Or better yet, stabilize, render to a production codec and then do your other work. In the long run, if you have a bunch of other work to do to the clip, this will save you time.

• 5. Re: Warp stabilizer and frame blend?
                  flovholm Level 1

Here's what I'm doing specifically:

1) Import image sequence (DSLR photos), set to 25 fps.

2)  Make new composition named "precomp" with PAL settings (720x576 @ 25 fps). Add image sequence to this composition.

3) Inside "precomp" warp stabilization is applied to the image sequence, the frame blend switch is set for the image sequence and frame blending is enabled.
                  4) Make new composition named "Main" with PAL settings. This composition is longer than "precomp".

5) Add "precomp" to "Main" and apply Time Stretch to extend "precomp" so that it is the same duration as "Main". Enable frame blending.

Using the above method frame blending fails. What is wrong?

Note: If I go inside "precomp" and switch off the warp stabilization (clicking the small fx icon) the frame blending works in "Main" as intended.

• 6. Re: Warp stabilizer and frame blend?
                    - Hannu - Level 1

Old thread but might as well answer as I think this still does not work. Prerendering the stabilized footage first and then frame blending the rendered file is the only way I'm able to get this work right. (AE Version 13.2.0.49)

1 person found this helpful