9 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2013 8:35 PM by GESYMSB

How is this?   ( Codecs Pack )

GESYMSB Level 1

Hello friends, I went to the Grass Valley Website and downloaded the Edius Codec Option 6.52   ( Code Pack )
      that they got for download, and seems to work good, but when I switched to my Windows 7 64b to import
      a small video with this codec, Premiere Pro CS5.5 cant display the video, however you can see
      the video on The Windows Files Browser, how is this?

Thanks       Orlando       

• 1. Re: How is this?   ( Codecs Pack )
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is this codecpack not meant for Edius?

Have you got Edius also installed along side Premiere?

• 2. Re: How is this?   ( Codecs Pack )
            the_wine_snob Level 9

There are three basic functions of a CODEC:

1. Allow for playback in many player programs (most common)
            2. Allow for Encoding from many NLE programs (smaller sub-set)
            3. Allow for use in editing by an NLE program (even smaller sub-set)

It could be that the Edius CODEC's just do not work in PrPro. A common example of this would be DivX, which works with many players, and even can be used to Encode from PrPro (in most cases), but seldom allows for editing in PrPro.

I do not know the Edius CODEC pack, so am speaking in very broad generalities.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How is this?   ( Codecs Pack )
              GESYMSB Level 1

This is what I got.....    Grass Valley Codecs Pack (v6.52) for Windows 7 and Windows 8 (64-bit)

The Grass Valley Codecs Pack allows you to import and export video files that use the
              Grass Valley HQ, Grass Valley HQX, Grass Valley Lossless, and Grass Valley DV codecs.

Important Note: Do not install this package on a system that already has EDIUS NLE software installed on it.

Note: This Codec Pack is only supported on Windows 7 and Windows 8 (64-bit) systems.

If you are using Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to install the previous version (6.02).

• 4. Re: How is this?   ( Codecs Pack )
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes I know but do you have Edius installed?

• 5. Re: How is this?   ( Codecs Pack )
                  GESYMSB Level 1

No, but that's the point according to what someone saids, this is for those that
                  do not have Edius installed.......

• 6. Re: How is this?   ( Codecs Pack )
                    Rallymax-forum Level 3

The icon system in Explorer is not the same thing as video playback.

Does it play in Windows Media Player? If so, then something with Adobe is broken.

If not, then the Grass Valley codec isn't working properly with your footage.

• 7. Re: How is this?   ( Codecs Pack )
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Does it play in Windows Media Player? If so, then something with Adobe is broken.

Not necessarily. As mentioned above, there are basically three types of CODEC's: playback (vast majority), Encoding (smaller sub-set), and finally editing (much smaller sub-set, and relative to the exact NLE used).

There are NLE's that can edit Xvid/DivX material, that is designed for streaming delivery, but no version of Premiere (Pro, or Elements), does a good job of editing that material. Same for many other CODEC's.

Playability is the main use of any CODEC, and editability is way, way down the list.

Also, it is common that one NLE will handle a particular CODEC (like Edius with Grass Valley CODEC's, or maybe AVID with their CODEC's). It is not uncommon that Premiere works great with some CODEC's, but not some others.

Hunt

• 8. Re: How is this?   ( Codecs Pack )
                        GESYMSB Level 1

>>Does it play in Windows Media Player

Agree with you sr., besides how can I play any video using the grass valley codec

in windows media player ?

I had been very bussy that's why you folks had not hear from me, I will try to do other

test and post the results here, but the reason I downladed and installed is because

somone said was for people that do not have any grass valley software.

Back to you folks soon..... 10000 of thanks for all the post !

• 9. Re: How is this?   ( Codecs Pack )
                          GESYMSB Level 1

Well, now I am back to my first post, noticed I did say you could see the video on Windows Explorer
                          however did not work on Premiere Pro, I did one more time, just two photos and small mp4 video
                          clip of my dog, saved as regular wide screen DV "USING GRASS VALLEY LOSSLESS CODEC"

( this is what I did before ) again Premiere Pro created the video, but this time.......
                          It did show on Windows Explorer like before, I DID SHOW / LOAD WITH PREMIERE PRO

WITH NO PROBLEMS, switched to my 32bits Windows and the video plays perfect there too.

Is this is the case and as I said in the beggining the video shows up on Windows Explorer

then the problem was with with Premiere at that time.......

What do you folks think?                   100000 of thanks again!

( Unless I did a test on Windows 32 with some screen capture tool and on 32 you can

only "PLAY / DISPLAY"   videos and NOT create  ---- ONLY ON WIN64 )