12 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2013 3:11 PM by Peter Spier

    URLs break / corrupt / change up at Export by adding % chars

    Maggers_1x Level 1

      Dear All,

       

      Good afternoon and I hope you're all fantastic and thank you for taking the time to look at my question. I've Googled a fair bit but haven't yet found an answer that matches what I'm experiencing.

      I'm creating a newsletter and what should be a very simple task is causing me a right 'mare (as we say in the UK).

       

      I've used the Rectangles Tool (F) to create an invisible rectangle. I've then done Interactive > New Hyperlink and pasted in my URL. However, when it comes to Export the PDF created has broken urls by adding random %25F , %2526 etc in place of the ?, & and = symbols

       

      So

      https://www.foreverliving.com/retail/entry/Shop.do?store=GBR&language=en&distribID=4401006 96921&task=viewProductDetail&itemCode=030

      will turn into

      https://www.foreverliving.com/retail/entry/Shop.do%253Fstore%253DGBR%2526language%253Den%2 526distribID%253D440100696921%2526task%253DviewProductDetail%2526itemCode%253D030

       

      I've even used TinyURL links thinking that the 130+ character links are too long for InDesign to handle but I'm getting mixed results so some of them work and some of them change - and they're just numbers and letters, no symbols.

       

      I'll keep looking but so far I'm not seeing a tickbox saying "shall I change URLS to old school HTML that wont work?".

       

      <time passes>

       

      Just found a note in the Adobe Online Help that reads

      "Note: If a URL hyperlink isn’t working in the exported PDF, there may be a problem with the hyperlink being a “Shared Destination.” Double-click the hyperlink in the Hyperlinks panel, choose URL from the Link To menu, deselect Shared Hyperlink Destination, and click OK."

      With great excitement I try this out but alas, the same %%% nuisnace prevails. Sigh.

       

      <time passes>

       

      Hmmm, an update to 8.0.1 - applying....

      Create a URL with above method...

      Export...

      Hold breath...

      Click link..................Platoon pose - still %%%%-ing it up!

       

       

       

      I really hope you can help, I dont want to go back to publisher!

       

      Many thanks & have a great week,

      Luke