8 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2013 7:53 AM by JJMack

Change Default Color Profile in New Image Document ?

Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

I've looked and looked, and even Googled.  Anyone know how to change the default color profile when you start a New image file?  In CS5 mine defaults to sRGB (Under the Advanced drop down) but my CS6 is ProPhoto RGB which means I have to change it manually nearly every time I paste an image copied via right click in a web browser. 

• 1. Re: Change Default Color Profile in New Image Document ?
          conroy Level 5

Set Working RGB to your preferred default profile in Edit > Color Settings.

You also might want to enable the profile-mismatch warnings while you're in that dialog.

• 2. Re: Change Default Color Profile in New Image Document ?

Thanks conroy.  That has worked fine.  I like the idea of the profile mismatch warning as well.

• 3. Re: Change Default Color Profile in New Image Document ?
              gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Under "Advanced" in your File > New dialog, when you set your color profile, you can also save it as a Preset. You can then make that preset your default and File > New will open from now on using your preferred profile.

• 4. Re: Change Default Color Profile in New Image Document ?

I had thought about saving a Preset, but that would include the pixel size, and I want that to be floating.  Basically, it's so I can paste in images copied by right clicking in a web browser, without its colours going weird on me.  That's why I was pleased with Conroy's suggestion to check the profile miss-match warning. 

• 5. Re: Change Default Color Profile in New Image Document ?
                  gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, Conroy's answer is better, because on my Macbook, copying and pasting over rides the Preset profile I have set, with the Clipboard color profile which is my calibrated lcd screen profile

Thanks for letting me know.

• 6. Re: Change Default Color Profile in New Image Document ?
                    JJMack Most Valuable Participant

You can also save color settings and name them.  I have setting saved for sRGB, ProPhotoRGB and AdobRGB. With setting default to use embedded profile with prompt on profile mismatch so I can change my mind and convert to profile. And setting without prompts that preserves the current color profile. And setting to convert to to working color profile without prompts.  When batching thing I don't like to be prompted so a choose a set of setting before starting a batching process. When I manually using Photoshop I like to be prompted on mismatches.

• 7. Re: Change Default Color Profile in New Image Document ?
                      conroy Level 5

gener7 wrote:

[...] on my Macbook, copying and pasting over rides the Preset profile I have set, with the Clipboard color profile which is my calibrated lcd screen profile [...]

Thankfully, that doesn't happen on my Mac. The clipboard would be virtually useless if it did override image profiles with the monitor profile.

(I've never heard of such a thing as "the Clipboard color profile" on a Mac - do you have a link to information on that?)

The OS X clipboard supports embedded colour profiles and will maintain the profile, if any, that's in the image being copied and pasted.

The only time a pasted image should contain your monitor profile is when the image that was copied already contained your monitor profile, such as a screenshot created with Shift+Cmd+3.

• 8. Re: Change Default Color Profile in New Image Document ?
                        JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I think it the same on windows. If I copy things to the clipboard with Photoshop that the document profile seem to be used there when I do a paste there are no color issues.  However if I use Prtscn or Alt+PrtScn to capture screen content.  I'll see that the colors are wrong when I paste the clipboard into a new document if my default color space is not sRGB. Then I need to assign sRGB to the document to correct the colors.

If I paste a screen capture into the current document the color can be very off and I will not get a prompt on the color mismatch. Therefore I don't think a screen capture has any profile associated with it. And of course the screen has a much lower resolution then the images I edit. So there is also a big size difference. Here is one scaled to 100% zoom after the paste. You can see both the color and resolution difference.  This capture was assigned to sRGB so you will see what the screen looks like after the paste and zoom to 100%.

scrncap.jpg

Message was edited by: JJMack