10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2013 6:00 AM by Danny_DeLoach

Premiere Elements 11 is adding a red tint to all the video out create

Danny_DeLoach Level 1

I have put two clips of .mts video on my timeline.  When I watch the video from the timeline, it looks great.  However, when I output the video (in any format) it has an awful red tint.  I've tried several output options (different version of mpg as well as different version of avchd).  They all have the red tint.

Here is a link to the video.  You can easily see the red tint.  This is not the way the video looks from within Premiere Elements.  Also, I know that Youtube is not the source of the tint, because the tint appears on all the files that I output from Premiere Elements onto my hard drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6zimlsmJdI&feature=youtu.be

What is causing this, and how can I prevent it?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 is adding a red tint to all the video out create
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Danny_DeLoach

I looked at your complete YouTube video several times.

I cannot confirm "You can easily see the red tint." I cannot.

So, questions:

a. Have you looked at this YouTube video on another computer and seen the same red tint to which you refer? Same question when Timeline content saved to file on hard drive was involved.

b. When you were in Premiere Elements 11 Edit Mode, were you looking at the rendered Timeline just prior to the upload to YouTube, presumed via Publish+Share/Online/YouTube or other export route?

c. Is your video card driver up to date?

It will be interesting to learn how others viewed your posted example.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 is adding a red tint to all the video out create
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I also did not see any noticeable "red tint" on my laptop (calibrated to Photoshop, but YouTube is obviously not a color controlled workspace).

Now, and in addition to ATR's questions, did you add any Effects to the Clips, or allow PrE to do any form of "Correction/Adjustment?"

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 is adding a red tint to all the video out create
              Danny_DeLoach Level 1

Hi.  Thanks to both of you, A.T. and Bill, for your responses.  I got to my office this morning and looked at the video on a different monitor, and I did not see the tint.  So, it appears that the problem may be in my monitor.  However, I'm still confused as to the (apparently) faulty monitor at home displayed the video from within Premiere Elements just fine.  When I get back home, I'll look into the issue some more.

Danny

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 is adding a red tint to all the video out create
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the exact brand/model of your graphics adapter, and the exact device driver number

IF nvidia...

How to determine your nVidia driver version

Right click in any open area of the Windows desktop

Select NVIDIA Control Panel from the popup window

Select SYSTEM INFORMATION at the lower left corner

Driver version should be the 1st line in Details

I have a GTX285 using driver 296.10 and Win7

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 is adding a red tint to all the video out create
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Danny_DeLoach

Thanks for the follow up.

We will be watching for further developments and details from your planned tests. With that information maybe we can find the explanation for the differences in between your office and home computer environments. By the way, do either of the setups using dual monitors?

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11 is adding a red tint to all the video out create
                    Danny_DeLoach Level 1

Neither situation is a dual monitor, but both situations involved external monitors.  When I get back home, I will test the video both on my external monitor (the one that showed the tinting) and on my laptop's built-in monitor.  Maybe that will further confirm that the external monitor at home is the culprit.  But, again, I'm still confused about why the external monitor displays the video well when I'm working with it from within Premiere Elements.  I'm thinking that when I get home I'll try to post a screen shot from both the video as it appears within PRE and as it appears with the tint after being processed and output by PRE.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11 is adding a red tint to all the video out create
                      Danny_DeLoach Level 1

OK. Here are some screenshots that I hope illustrate the issue I'm dealing with.  This first picture shows what the video looks like on the preview screen from within PRE.  The image is taken from my Acer external monitor at home.  Notice the natural looking skin tones.

PRE - Preview Window.JPG

After creating an .mpg version of the file and saving it on my hard drive and viewing it with Windows Media Player on my Acer external monitor, this second picture shows what the image looks like.  Notice the red tint on the skin.

External Acer Monitor.JPG

This third picture shows the same .mpg file as it appears on the built-in screen on my laptop.  Notice that the skin tones look a little more natural, but they still display some red tint.  They definitely don't look as natural as the skin tone in the first picture (as the image appears from the preview screen within PRE).

Laptop Screen.JPG

A few extra notes: I realize that these images may appear differently to other viewers whose monitors will display them differently.  However, I think that comparing the first image in the series with the second two will show a significant change in skin tone.

A second note: When I view the .mpg file on my ViewSonic monitor in my office, the red tint on the skin tone is almost gone.

A third note: Because the ViewSonic external monitor doesn't seem to have the red tint problem, it seems to point to a problem with my Acer external monitor.  However, as the images above show, the built-in screen on my laptop also shows the red tint.  But, more importantly, if the problem is with my Acer external monitor, then I don't understand why it shows such natural skin tones on the image displayed within PRE preview window.

A final note: I attached a screen clip from the image as it appeared on an .mpg file.  However, the same red tint appears on several version of .mpg as well as .mp4 files that I created with PRE.

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Danny

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11 is adding a red tint to all the video out create
                        VDOSurfer Level 3

Please read on if these images are "photos and not screnshots". If these are screenshots, please ignore this whole post..

I am going to mention something that I have only read about, not experimented or understood completely. Color Profiles. As I said, valid only If these are photos, and not screenshots,

Every monitor has a color "spectrum" that it can display. Some colors are completely missed out in the lower profiles. No monitor has the ProPhoto profile that seems to be the superset of all the profiles. The monitor ones are usually standards called (AdobeRGB, sRGB, MAC RGB etc.). The web has its own one, the sRGB.

So that is the reason why (colors in the original image as seen in the camera) IS NOT THE SAME AS (colors after uploading to web in the browser) IS NOT THE SAME AS (the colors seen in a non-caliberated monitor) IS NOT THE SAME AS (the colors in a color profile caliberated monitor)

These are configurations possible on your monitor itself, through some buttons usually on the bottom right of the device, near the monitor power buttons. If not the profiles, see if there can be a common setting you can use between the editing and viewing monitors. In short, caliberate.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11 is adding a red tint to all the video out create
                          VDOSurfer Level 3

And like others here, I do not see the tinting. What I do see in the images attached is that there is brightness and saturation difference between the original one and the other two. So was there any "Auto Color Correction" applied? Can you check the clip on the timline to see if it has "any" effect applied to it? I am certain that encoders cannot increase the brightness, it should have come in during editing.

Also you can maybe give us screenshots of the original say from within Media Player and from within, say, VCL, GOM Player etc. to see if the source itself is played back differently in different players.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 11 is adding a red tint to all the video out create
                            Danny_DeLoach Level 1

Hi VDOSurfer.  Thanks for responding to this post.  I had been hoping for some more help on this issue.  First, to answer your question about whether the included images were screen shots or photographs... they are screen shots.

In preparation to reply to your post with more information I went back to my original footage and tried to create a more careful documentation of the "red tinting" that I first saw.  However, right now I do not have access to either of the external monitors that I was using when I made the original forum post.  I only have a single laptop with its internal screen.  Viewing the rendered video on this laptop screen, I do not see the "red tinting" that I previously observed.  This seems to indicate to me that the problem was in the external monitor(s) that I was using.  Even though I did not think this was the case originally.

I wish I had access to those same external monitors, because I would like to definitively proof to myself that the monitors were or were not the problem.  If I get access to the monitors again, I may try to figure that all out again.  However, for now I think I'm satisfied that that this "case is solved", since the image quality is consistent on the screen of my current laptop.

Thanks, again, for your help.