10 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2013 8:20 AM by the_wine_snob

Cannot select audio clips on 1 track

NiAnNdCyY

Hi, I cannot select any of the audio clips on 1 track - the narration track. I was able to beforehand but the last two times I have tried to work on the project, I cannot select any of them individually or together at all - to move, cut, group/ungroup or do anything. I am not sure how this would be locked??

Nancy

• 1. Re: Cannot select audio clips on 1 track
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Nancy,

More details are being requested.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system (including 32 or 64 bit) is the program running?

Is the problem exclusively related to the narration track? Any other freezing of the program in general? Does the problem persist even if you start a new project?

Where is the narration coming from...created with the program's narration or narration file created elsewhere and imported into the project?

What is the content and duration of the Timeline when this issue exists?

If you save/close the project, will the project reopen with just the audio problem remaining? If so, we might consider deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file located in Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, assuming you are using Premiere Elements 11 on these operating system...

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

Make sure that you are working with Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active.

Open your saved project in Premiere Elements 11 and see if the problem still exists.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Cannot select audio clips on 1 track
            NiAnNdCyY Level 1

HI ATR,

I restarted again and it seems to work. I had tried this before but it hadn't. So, I will continue in a happily but still don't know what may have triggered it to work/not work. Thanks for the fast helpful reply!

• 3. Re: Cannot select audio clips on 1 track
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Nancy,

One observation is that in some Projects, issues with the two "Fixed" Audio Tracks, Narration and Soundtrack, can develop. Those issues seem to be Project-specific, in that the same users might never have them, on other Projects, even very similar Projects. When those issues do develop, one workaround is to Move, or Copy the Clips from those two Fixed Audio Tracks to a "regular" Audio Track, that is empty, say Audio 2, or Audio 3.

If the Clips on the Fixed Audio Tracks cannot be Deleted, or Moved, then the user should be able to go to the Audio Mixer and just Mute those Tracks, leaving the "locked" Clips in place, and either Copy the Clips to another Audio Track, or drag those Clips from the Project's Media Panel to the regular Audio Track.

To date, we have not been able to reveal WHY the Fixed Audio Tracks develop problems, and most of the problem with troubleshooting such is due to that Project-specific nature of the issue - as I stated, similar Projects for the same user might never develop problems.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Cannot select audio clips on 1 track
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Nancy,

Thanks for the follow up which is important to us all.

Glad the issue has resolved. Hope the issue does not return, but, if it does, please let us know with details of the project when the problem surfaced again.

Continued success.

ATR

• 6. Re: Cannot select audio clips on 1 track
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Could you elaborate on what you mean when you refer to "fixed audio tracks?

It is not clear to me if

a. you are suggesting that Premiere Elements has the locked track feature of the Premiere Pro programs

or

b. you are referring to Premiere Elements audio tracks that become locked to a track or tracks due to a malfunction of the program.

or

c. you are referring to an unexpected audio track locking/malfunctioning after tracks have been grouped?

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Cannot select audio clips on 1 track
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Yes. In each Project, there are two Audio Tracks, Narration and Soundtrack, which are created automatically. Unlike other "regular" Audio Tracks (Audio 1, Audio 2, etc.), they cannot be Deleted, even if empty. They are "fixed."

This is similar, in my eyes, to the Fixed Effects, Motion, Opacity, etc., in each Clip. They are automatically created, but unlike an added Effect, cannot be Deleted, but only adjusted.

Because of the names of those Fixed Audio Tracks, it is easy to assume their purpose - Narration and Soundtrack, but in certain circumstances (as yet undetermined), they cease to perform, as they should. As mentioned, the problems with them, seem to be Project-specific, and often, they DO work fine - until a certain point. Also, and for most users in most Projects, they DO work fine, at least until the do NOT.

I have seen reports of the issues with the Fixed Audio Tracks going back to PrE 4, and it seems that they can occur with all versions from at least PrE 4 thru PrE 11.

I use the word "seems," and "appears" so often, because of the intermittent nature of the issues with those Tracks - they work fine, until they do not, and no one has been able to pin down when they develop problems to any one particular operation. The problems seem to manifest themselves in at least two ways: one, or the other, or both, will NOT Export/Share their Audio, upon output (any format/setting), or the Clips will appear to be "locked," and cannot be adjusted (say in Duration), or Moved, or even Deleted. Again, this appears to be Project-specific. I have never encountered those problems with my Projects, BUT more often use the "regular" Audio Tracks, unless I am trying to find out what goes wrong with the two Fixed Audio Tracks - so far, I have not been able to get my test Projects to fail, and I also use PrPro for most involved Projects, so have probably just not put in enough time in my PrE. If anyone DOES find out what triggers the problems with those two Audio Tracks, I would greatly appreciate their sharing of that information.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Cannot select audio clips on 1 track
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Thanks for the explanation.

I see now in what context you are using "fixed audio tracks". Your clarification on the term "fixed audio tracks" understood. But could you give another look at one small aspect of your post introduction, a point of trivia? Narration and Soundtrack not included, just a focus on Audio 1, 2, etc.

Unlike other "regular" Audio Tracks (Audio 1, Audio 2, etc.), they cannot be Deleted, even if empty. They are "fixed."

It always appeared to me that Audio 1 could never be deleted, even if Clear All Empty Tracks is selected and there is no content on Audio 1.

In fact, if there were several Video/Audio tracks displaying, all empty, and I selected Clear All Empty Tracks (Audio), Audio 1 would survive, the others would not.

What am I missing in this interpretation?

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Cannot select audio clips on 1 track
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Interesting. I will explore that. In PrPro, one CAN Delete any and all Empty Audio Tracks.

Also, I usually Rename my Audio (and Video) Tracks, to reflect their use. Audio 1 might become "Ambiance 1," and Audio 2 might become "Insects 2," etc.

I will attempt to Delete an empty Audio 1, and report my findings.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Cannot select audio clips on 1 track
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I now see your point. Even when one Renames Audio 1 ("Camera_Audio" in my test), it will not Delete either. Same for Narration and Soundtrack (Renamed to "Speech," and "Music" in my test).

I now see that there are three "Fixed Audio Tracks," and not just the two that I had referred to - regardless of what a user Renames them to.

Thank you, and I will always refer to the THREE Fixed Audio Tracks.

Hunt