4 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2013 9:18 AM by the_wine_snob

can't "unlink" default titles

chrohrs Level 1

I'm having the problem where editing one title results in changes to others. 

I added my first title by following steps in http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-elements-11/adding-titles/: dragging a default title onto my timelien, then editing the text/font/length.  I then selected that title and copy/pasted it onto other parts of my timeline. Here's what it looks like:premiere default text.png

The problem is that editing one default title seems to result in edits to all of them.  More specifically, when I double-click on one of the objects and edit the text, it appears in all the other titles.  It's like they're one object.  I can't find any way to duplicate the title, a "paste by value" or something like that.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: can't "unlink" default titles
          A.T. Romano Level 7

chrohrs

For the record, is that Premiere Elements 11 Windows that you are using?

Your result is not uncommon to Premiere Elements (any version). For more specific details, I would need confirmation on version.

But the general idea is create your title in the Titler and then duplicate your original title in the Media area (making sure that it has a different name than the original) and then using those files on the Timeline. That will allow you to edit one title without changing all to the same text at the same time.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: can't "unlink" default titles
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As ATR points out, you do not have two separate Titles, but two Instances of one Title, and those Instances ARE linked - change one, change the other. ATR points out the Duplicate, which will create a NEW Title, but based on the first one - similar, but now totally separate. They can be changed individually, and the other will remain untouched.

This article goes into more details on Titles and Instances of Titles: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4976998#4976998

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 3. Re: can't "unlink" default titles
              chrohrs Level 1

Yes, I'm using Premiere Elements 11 on Windows.

Thanks, everyone, for the responses so far.  I was hoping there was an easier way than duplicating in the media area and dragging back onto the timeline, since I've already placed a dozen titles in the project.

• 4. Re: can't "unlink" default titles
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, if one wishes to have separate Titles, rather than a dozen Instances, the only course of action IS to Duplicate one of those Titles (think of using that as a "template"), and edit each, as needed.

Good luck,

Hunt