5 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2013 11:49 AM by ECBowen

New system now?

coricidin12

I need a new editing system soon and I am going to get something pretty cutting edge, sandy bridge processor, 32 or 64gb ram, gtx680, etc.  I am wondering if this is a good time to buy a system like this or if there is anything big around the corner in the next month or two.  I know technology is constantly evolving and an improvement is always just a few months away, but I am wondering if there is anything major in the next month or two that is worth waiting for.  I read something here about a new generation of processors maybe being annonced next month, is that real and potentially worth waiting for?

Anyone have any opinions?  Eric or someone from ADK?  I'll be ordering from you so what's your position right now?

• 1. Re: New system now?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Sandy Bridge is old now. It is all Ivy Bridge now or Haswell starting from June 4-th. Haswell is rumored to be around 5 - 8% faster than Ivy Bridge. Otherwise you have to get SB-E on the 2011 platform.

On any quad core the GTX 680 is overkill, a 650 Ti Boost, 660 or 660 Ti is more than enough, especially with less than 32 GB memory and less than 5 distinct physical disks. If you opt for a 1155 platform, max. memory is 32 GB. 64 GB is only possible on a 2011 platform.

• 2. Re: New system now?
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Harm is correct. Only the current Desktop and Mobile platforms are updating to Haswell. That platform is limited to Quad Core and 32GB of ram. The Workstation platform or X79/socket 2011 is still the Sandybridge architecture. That is why they designate the CPU's as SB-E. That is not upgrading at the time the Desktop is and is only scheduled to update to IVY Bridge when it does. Ivy has little to no performance gain over Sandy without onboard video and just lowers power consumption.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: New system now?
              coricidin12 Level 1

So Eric, are you saying that you guys are still recommending a SB-E platform right now and that the Haswell update next month will not change that recommendation?

• 4. Re: New system now?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Absolutely correct. Haswell will be slightly faster than Ivy Bridge, but the quad core limitation, the limited L3 cache and the very limited number of PCIe lanes keep it squarely in the desktop market. If you want more cores, more L3 cache, more memory and want to add a third party card, like a raid controller, AJA, BM or Matrox card, then your only sensible option is the 2011 workstation platform.

• 5. Re: New system now?
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Yes the SB-E platform is still the ideal platform to get right now and will be after the Desktop update due to the reasons Harm has mentioned.

Eric

ADK