8 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2013 12:12 PM by HCL_INTL

Video Stutter

HCL_INTL

I have a video which consist of various panning shots. During editing and after exporting, I can play back on my 6 core 2.66 GHz 12GB 1333MHz DDR3 Mac with no problems. However, when I take the same export and trying to play back on a laptop or try to stream, the panning shots stutter - especially playing back with full screen.

It is apparent that there is a issue with the redrawing, because everything on the screen is moving. I cannot seem to remedy the issue without seriously affecting the picture quality. I have tried exporting using many differently settings but no dice. Also tried the Warp Stabilizer.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful!

• 1. Re: Video Stutter
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What are the specs. of that laptop and what are the full specs. of that Video?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Video Stutter
            HCL_INTL Level 1

The laptop is a Lenovo X1 Carbon with an Intel Core 1.8GHz processor, 8GB of memory, and an Intel Graphics 4000.  The video format is h.264, 1280x720 resolution, 29.97 frame rate, NTSC.  I also tried using maximum render quality and frame blending, but no luck with that, either. 

Issue seems to be at worst during streaming from our Kaltura media server.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Video Stutter
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you.

My first thought would be that the Lenovo laptop's CPU is just up to the task of processing the H.264 material.

Maybe others will have some useful observations and thoughts.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Video Stutter
                HCL_INTL Level 1

Since this video will ultimately be uploaded to YouTube, I would want to make sure the quality is the same on whatever device will be viewing it.

• 5. Re: Video Stutter
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

You can't really guarantee that, though.  Once on YouTube, you'll have no control over what device someone uses to watch the video, and if a device just isn't powerful enough for the HD experience, that user will have to settle for a lesser resolution or upgrade their device.

• 6. Re: Video Stutter
                    HCL_INTL Level 1

Very true, Jim.  However, I do seem to have this issue even when I encode in SD format.

• 7. Re: Video Stutter
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

The resolution of the export won't matter much.  It's the H.264 format that the other computer might be stumbling on.  The difference with YouTube is that lower res versions use less bitrate and often a different codec.

In any case, it's better to test this out on YouTube.  You can post Unlisted test projects and check them out.

• 8. Re: Video Stutter
                        HCL_INTL Level 1

Thanks Jim -

I uploaded the video to YouTube as unlisted and everything looks pretty good until is gets to the panning shots and still the same thing.  I am going to try lowing the bitrate to 4Mbps as the target and max and see if that helps.