10 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2013 6:27 AM by Semaphoric

Camera Raw 6.7 and 7.4 side-by-side?

TObject Level 1

Hello,

I have a Create Suite 5 Web Premium installed, which includes Photoshop CS5 and Camera Raw 6.7.

I just purchased InDesign creative cloud single product subscription, and downloaded InDesign CS6. The Adobe Application Manager is now offering to install Photoshop Camera Raw 7.4. I am not sure why, since I do not have Photoshop CS6, probably because InDesign comes with Bridge CS6…

What will happen if I download Camera Raw 7.4? Will it replace the Camera Raw 6.7, or can I use them side-by-side?

Will Camera Raw 7.4 be even fictional (since I do not have Photoshop CS6)?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Camera Raw 6.7 and 7.4 side-by-side?
          TObject Level 1

Ok, just installed Camera Raw 7.4, to see what it will do.

In Bridge CS6 I get the following error message when trying to launch Camera Raw:

“Camera Raw editing is not enabled. Camera Raw editing requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature.”

Fortunately Camera Raw 6.7 in Bridge CS5 still works fine.

• 2. Re: Camera Raw 6.7 and 7.4 side-by-side?
            Curt Y Level 7

ACR 7.x will not work in CS5 so it will not replace ACR 6.7.

Launch Bridge from Indesign or other programs programs in Suite.  If you still get error look to see in you have any unistalled expired Adobe Trials.  THis will also casue this error.

• 3. Re: Camera Raw 6.7 and 7.4 side-by-side?
              TObject Level 1

Dear Curt Y,

Thank you for your reply. The good news is that installing Camera Raw 7.4 did not break Camera Raw 6.7.

I do not qualify for camera raw 7.4; I was surprised why Adobe Applications Manager offered to install it in the first place.

• 4. Re: Camera Raw 6.7 and 7.4 side-by-side?
                Noel Carboni Level 8

I'd have to say that it's kind of silly that Bridge CS6 would prompt the installation of software that you clearly can't use.

I guess those are some of the perils of having multiple different versions installed.  As you have discovered, the various versions are designed to be installed simultaneously without interference.

I wonder what would happen if you ran an evaluation version of Photoshop CS6 for a while, then tried to use Camera Raw 7.x from within Bridge CS6.  That's a pretty weird combination of activities, but it wouldn't surprise me if that would satisfy that check for "qualifying product having been launched".

-Noel

• 5. Re: Camera Raw 6.7 and 7.4 side-by-side?
                  Semaphoric Adobe Community Professional

Look under the Camera tab in bridge; there's an item where you can set which version you're using.

Found this out today, when I was lookng for the Recovery slider.

• 6. Re: Camera Raw 6.7 and 7.4 side-by-side?
                    TObject Level 1

Semaphoric,

Could you elaborate a little more on how to get to the camera tab in Bridge?

I have "Camera Raw Preferences.." menu item under Edit in the main menu, but that gives me the same error about Camera Raw not being enabled. It would be nice if I could tell Bridge CS6 to use Camera Raw 6.7 instead of 7.4, as the new Bridge seems to have correctly identified my other CS5 installed products, Bridge CS6 can open Photoshop CS5 without problems, for example; it is just the Camera Raw functionality that is not cooperating.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Camera Raw 6.7 and 7.4 side-by-side?
                      Curt Y Level 7

If you open ACR from Bridge in upper left corner of screen you will see version being used.

You can only have one version of ACR in the folder.  If you want to use ACR 6.7 use CS5.  Most camera raw problems are either more than one ACR in folder, or ACR in wrong folder.

It sounds like you have Bridge CS5 and CS6 installed.  THey are 2 seperate programs so make sure which one you have loaded.

• 8. Re: Camera Raw 6.7 and 7.4 side-by-side?

It is here (in the Camera Raw dialog, not Bridge):

CamRawProc.gif

From the Help:

The process version is the technology that Camera Raw uses to adjust and render photos. Depending on which process version you use, different options and settings area available to you in the Basic tab and when you make local adjustments.

Process Version 2012

Images edited for the first time in Camera Raw 7 use process version 2012. PV2012 offers new tone controls and new tone-mapping algorithms for high-contrast images. With PV2012, you can adjust Highlights, Shadows, Whites, Blacks, Exposure, and Contrast in the Basic panel. You can also apply local corrections for white balance (Temp and Tint), Highlights, Shadows, Noise, and Moiré.

Process Version 2010

Images edited in Camera Raw 6 used PV2010 by default. PV2010 offers improved sharpening and noise-reduction from the previous process version, PV2003.

Process Version 2003

The original processing engine, used by Camera Raw versions 5.x and earlier.

To take advantage of the newer processing, you can update previously edited photos to the current process version. To update a photo to the Camera Raw 7 process (PV2012), do either of the following:

Click the Update to Current Process button (the exclamation-point icon) in the lower-right corner of the image preview. In the Camera Calibration tab, choose Process > 2012 (Current).To apply an older process version to a photo, go to the Camera Calibration tab and choose Process > 2010 or Process > 2003.

But, if can't launch Camera Raw, I guess this isn't much help.

• 9. Re: Camera Raw 6.7 and 7.4 side-by-side?
                          Level 5

Sorry, I got lost in all that verbiage.

But it seems to me you're confusing the Process Version with the version of the ACR plug-in.  They're totaly different beasts.

If I'm misconstruing your posts, I apologize.

• 10. Re: Camera Raw 6.7 and 7.4 side-by-side?

station_two wrote:

But it seems to me you're confusing the Process Version with the version of the ACR plug-in.  They're totaly different beasts.

I'll accept that. Like I said, I was looking for something I remembered form a previous version of ACR, but didn't seem to be in the current version. When I changed the Process Version, there it was.