4 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2013 5:08 PM by peter minneapolis

Shortcuts not working

MangaGal Level 1

Hey guys

This may be a silly question. I have been given (at work) a compact keyboard and a separate numeric pad so that I can have a more ergonomical setup. But, the shortcuts I've set for paragraph styles in Indesign (eg Crt+1) don't work anymore. I have checked, numeric pad is active because I can type numbers but I just can't use it as shortcuts for the styles. So now when I typeset, I can't apply a style quickly with shortcut.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

I'm running Windows 7 and CS5.5

It'd work with a standard keyboard I'd imagine but I don't have one here to test.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks guys.

• 1. Re: Shortcuts not working
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Been some posts about this with Macs, but I don't remember seeing  one for Windows. I think you are pretty much out of luck.

• 2. Re: Shortcuts not working
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Learn how to use Quick Apply. I find it as efficient as keystrokes with a numeric keypad, plus they're easier to remember. It will work on any computer. It doesn't require a numeric keypad. Because you're typing the letters of the style name, it's easier to remember than "Ctrl-1".

Press Ctrl-Enter to open Quick Apply (which is actually found on the right end of the Control panel). Start typing the first couple letters of the paragraph style you want to apply. It will jump you to the style. Press Enter to apply. If you have more than one showing, type another letter or two to distinguish the one you want, or press the up and down arrow keys to select the style, then press Enter.

You can speed it up if you go to the menu at the top of the display and turn off other InDesign features which can also be called out with Quick Apply, narrowing the number of entries.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Shortcuts not working
              MangaGal Level 1

Thanks Steve. I on the other hand find Quick Apply is slower for me, it is the fact that I will have to type the name of the paragraph style, and for styles in a series (eg Subhead 1, Subhead 2, Subhead 3, etc), and to apply Subhead 3 for example, I would type the whole name, and don't forget I have to press "Ctrl+Enter" before I can use the Quick Apply. Compared it to setting shortcuts to Subhead 3 for example, I'd just press "Ctrl+3". It works except when the numeric pad doesn't wanna play this game.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm a bit stressed about this because they went out of their way to get the compact keyboard + numeric pad, and now it doesn't even work with the software only I use. Sigh... there isn't a wholistic solution is there? It's either put up with shoulder/neck pain or stop using shortcuts.

• 4. Re: Shortcuts not working
                peter minneapolis Level 4

Steve is right about what to type in Quick Apply to capture your desired command in its text box.

But wait, there's more! Or, in your case, there's less. That is, you can type less and still get what you want.

You can type any unique character or sequence of characters that are within the name of a command or menu item, into the Quick Apply text box to bring up the command. For example, in your document, if you type 3, you'll bring up command or menu item that has 3 in its name. If Subhead 3 is the only one, Bingo! you're done. If other items also have 3 in their names, try typing " 3" that is, space followed by 3. If this still doesn't do it, try "d 3" that is d space 3. If your document also has the Subhead 3 style defined, then you'll still have a tad of work to do - up or down arrow to select, then press Return. Still, you'll only have a little arrowing to perform. And, if you think ahead to new document projects, you can define new style names that each have unique strings in them. For instance, you can name Head 3 as Head 3_h3, and Subhead 3 as Subhead3_s3. The unique strings h3 and s3 are easy to type, and are unambiguous.

This works for any item that has a unique string of characters within its name. For example, for Show Hidden Characters, type "en ch" without quotes. For Show Hidden Menu Commands, type "u c" that is u followed by a space followed by c, without quotes - or just type u followed by a space.

Some commands will never appear in the Quick Apply menu, but others may seem to be missing. You can make all possible commands available by typing "u c" to tell Quick Apply to bring up the Include Hidden Menu Commands command. However, commands may also seem to be missing if the the appropriate object or tool isn't selected. For example, if the Text tool is inserted in text, or if a text frame has been selected with the black or white arrow tool, Quick Apply will display the command Fill With Placeholder Text when you type "hol," or "er te" without quotes. But if a frame is not selected, or if the Text tool is not inserted in text, the Fill With Placeholder Text command won't appear in Quick Apply, even if you type the all the letters in Fill With Placeholder Text.

You can quickly learn the ones you use most often. Find and use the the unique letters in each command that make the most sense to you and are are easiest to remember.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

MangaGal1981 wrote:

Thanks Steve. I on the other hand find Quick Apply is slower for me, it is the fact that I will have to type the name of the paragraph style, and for styles in a series (eg Subhead 1, Subhead 2, Subhead 3, etc), and to apply Subhead 3 for example, I would type the whole name, and don't forget I have to press "Ctrl+Enter" before I can use the Quick Apply. Compared it to setting shortcuts to Subhead 3 for example, I'd just press "Ctrl+3". It works except when the numeric pad doesn't wanna play this game.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm a bit stressed about this because they went out of their way to get the compact keyboard + numeric pad, and now it doesn't even work with the software only I use. Sigh... there isn't a wholistic solution is there? It's either put up with shoulder/neck pain or stop using shortcuts.